Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #46
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll NOMINATE

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
I'll second that one!
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #47
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post

I nominate a biography of "Dr. Goat Gland," John Brinkley.

Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock
I second that.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I think it's this one: The First 100,000 Prime Numbers
I second this.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll nominate The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin is the traditional name for the unfinished record of his own life written by Benjamin Franklin from 1771 to 1790; however, Franklin himself appears to have called the work his Memoirs. Although it had a tortuous publication history after Franklin's death, this work has become one of the most famous and influential examples of autobiography ever written.… more »

Available Free at numerous sites:

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/autobiogra...jamin+Franklin
Actually, it's free here too.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #50
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I second this.
It wasn't nominated, FYI.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #51
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
I second this.
I hope Jon is joking, because I wasn't actually nominating that book, only providing a link for reference purposes.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #52
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The First 100,000 Prime Numbers is a great book. I could not put it down. It started kind of slow but it really got going in the middle part of the book. The ending made me wanting more.

Spoiler:
1318489 1318517 1318549 1318553 1318579 1318609 1318633 1318661 1318663 1318697 1318699
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #53
Ghostlight
Book Nut
Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iPad 2, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

From Amazon:
I'll second this one; I thought it was very good, and gave a lot of background on the fair itself as well as the murders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I'd like to second Harry's (that is, Dickens') "American Notes", because it isn't about dead things.
I'll third this one. I liked it!
Ghostlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #54
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
I'll second that one!
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

I'll third that one.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #55
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I nominate 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks' by Rebecca Skloot. It is a really fascinating book about a woman whose cells became the first 'immortal line' in medical research and 50 years after her death, are still being used and have led to many medical discoveries. Her family did not find out this was even going on until years after her death. It's a very interesting story.
I'll second this, I just finished it and it is a really fascinating story.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 AM   #56
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Actually, it's free here too.
That's right, here is the link to all three versions on MR:
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/autobiogra...ranklin-ebook/

I apologize on behalf of our algorithms that didn't aggregate this book with the other version, their excuse is that the title/author combination is 'too different'.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #57
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
I'll third this one. I liked it!
I don't think you should nominate/vote if you already read it...... just my thoughts...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 AM   #58
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
That's right, here is the link to all three versions on MR:
http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/autobiogra...ranklin-ebook/

I apologize on behalf of our algorithms that didn't aggregate this book with the other version, their excuse is that the title/author combination is 'too different'.
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #59
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotb0y View Post
I'll second this, I just finished it and it is a really fascinating story.
So you already want to read it again, or just "impose" it on us?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #60
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
The First 100,000 Prime Numbers [spoiler]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
The First 100,000 Prime Numbers is a great book. I could not put it down. It started kind of slow but it really got going in the middle part of the book. The ending made me wanting more.
The ending is indeed impressive. The book concludes, magnificently, triumphantly, with a pair of primes: 1318697 and 1318699.

It took some cunning to produce this result. The book begins apologetically with “[1 is not a prime by many definitions of prime]” and then provides the list, beginning with 1. If the list began with 2, the ending would be ruined.

An alternative solution would have been to start with 2 and call the book The First 99,999 Prime Numbers but this lacks the panache of the book’s actual title.

Last edited by Vector; 02-25-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote