Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
mindjigger
mindjigger began at the beginning.

Device: kidle
Kindle PW2 Network Architecture

I'm trying to understand how the networking works on Kindle PW2. I found it's using USB 3G modem to connect to internet. On the top of that it looks like it's building ppp tunnel to amazon so traffic is passing through them.
It's using also amazon dns servers:
nameserver 207.171.165.149 nameserver 207.171.165.150
And I think the resolv.conf file is updated by cron if alternated or at least if the device is restarted.
If I drop the ppp tunnel and change DNS to google it doesn't let me ping random pingable IP on Internet.
Anybody can give me hints to progress on that or found further info or can explain how this USB modem is supposed to be configured ?
Thanks.
Mindjigger
Old 06-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mindjigger: Given the 'side effects', no. (cf. forum policies here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200942).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-01-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
mindjigger
mindjigger began at the beginning.

Device: kidle
OK thanks. Will try to dig alone.
Mindjigger
Old 07-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
i think (my opinion of course), that we don't need to worry about talking about this topic now because, before, we didn't want people being able to use their kindle to get free, unlimited internet access on their computer etc.

but someone released how to do that, and so amazon made it so we can only use 50mb a month, on basically everywebsite, apart from amazon, and wikipedia, right? something similar?

so i don't see any harm in talking, sharing, discovering more things, surely it won't harm amazon's business model, because they already implement a 50mb cap.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindjigger View Post
I'm trying to understand how the networking works on Kindle PW2. I found it's using USB 3G modem to connect to internet. On the top of that it looks like it's building ppp tunnel to amazon so traffic is passing through them.
It's using also amazon dns servers:
nameserver 207.171.165.149 nameserver 207.171.165.150
And I think the resolv.conf file is updated by cron if alternated or at least if the device is restarted.
If I drop the ppp tunnel and change DNS to google it doesn't let me ping random pingable IP on Internet.
Anybody can give me hints to progress on that or found further info or can explain how this USB modem is supposed to be configured ?
Thanks.
Mindjigger
It's actions like this that causes Amazon to limit 3G. Now if people did not mes about hacking the 3G, there might not be such limits in place.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
As stated, forum rules prohibit discussion of this topic.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread