Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Is there any way to watch Amazon Instant Videos on a Nook HD?

I just went through the rigamorole of creating a bootable CM10 SD card. However, when I finally got that and gapps installed, and went to the Amazon Instant Video app, it told me that the app wasn't supported on my device

So, has anyone else thought of a way to do this?

Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
You should be able to watch it on Amazon's website through the browser, like on your PC.
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Hmmm... I'll try that. I guess I was thinking the quality wouldn't be as good as on a dedicated app. I'll report back....
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
The quality is SD as it is when watched on PC which is one of the reasons I cancelled it - Netflix doesn't doesn't have this restriction.

From Amazon: "HD movie playback is limited to Kindle Fire HD, Xbox 360, PS3, Roku, TIVO, or other Amazon Instant Video HD compatible devices."

Mobile HD compatible devices = Kindle HD and Apple products only
http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Last edited by pwnn; 02-04-2013 at 08:33 AM.
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I get very good play " Amazon video" back from the 1st fire. Netflix is bad bad... on both nook and fire.
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Why do they support iCrap and not Nook? What kind of favoritism is that? Does Amazon figure they're just not any competition to Apple and throw in the towel?

Makes me frustrated how the whole world caters to Apple. Well, I'm glad the rest of the world can afford their overpriced stuff!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Why do they support iCrap and not Nook? What kind of favoritism is that? Does Amazon figure they're just not any competition to Apple and throw in the towel?
Would B&N even allow an app from Amazon into their store? I don't know the answer, but I'm a bit doubtful since they're trying to compete for book and now video sales.

I just wish Amazon would get off their ass and release a regular Android app for their video stuff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure you're right. It's probably all B&N trying to force their limited ecosystem on us Nook owners.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Because iOS is not Android. Amazon's biggest competitors are other Android tablets and they're not about to give up the last advantage they have over them - video content.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There is an Amazon Instant Video app for Android, but it is only available for certain LG tv's (running Google TV). They are pretty focussed on set top boxes, including game consoles (even wii).

If AIV is not more generally available, consider that Apple represents 70 per cent of the tablet market, and Fire is half of what is left, leaving a still very diverse range of devices running various versions of Android. I think it took Netflix a year to deliver official support for tablets. Offering more broad Android support is probably on Amazon's roadmap, but they probably don't register much demand for it so it is low priority. And obviously it isn't ever going to be in the Nook App store.

I can watch AIV on my Xoom, because I have a browser that hosts Flash. While it is probably possible to create such an environment on Nook HD, I would not recommend it: not very stable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Because iOS is not Android. Amazon's biggest competitors are other Android tablets and they're not about to give up the last advantage they have over them - video content.
I don't think it's about the operating system at all. Amazon is selling a service, not an operating system. I agree with AnemicOak that it's B&N that's keeping Amazon stuff off the Nooks. Apple has nothing to lose (yet), they have the most popular eco-system. So, why not let iPad owners watch Amazon flicks.

B&N on the other hand have everything to lose. They're trying to build their eco-system and having Amazon undercut them on their content isn't going to help.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree with AnemicOak that it's B&N that's keeping Amazon stuff off the Nooks. Apple has nothing to lose (yet), they have the most popular eco-system. So, why not let iPad owners watch Amazon flicks.
That doesn't explain why there's no Android app for Amazon Instant Videos.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
kevinp
Fanatic

Good point
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That doesn't explain why there's no Android app for Amazon Instant Videos.
No, it doesn't and while Apple may still have a lead in the tablet market there's the whole phone market to consider too. I'm pretty sure Android has a lead there, yet still no app. The thing is they already have done the dev work on an Android app in order to get it on the Fire on Google TV.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, it doesn't and while Apple may still have a lead in the tablet market there's the whole phone market to consider too. I'm pretty sure Android has a lead there, yet still no app. The thing is they already have done the dev work on an Android app in order to get it on the Fire on Google TV.
I think it's a deliberate move by Amazon to keep their videos off of other mobile Android devices.

Outside of apps, Amazon has the best content out there. Adding AIV to my Nexus 7 would make it a better Fire HD than the original.