Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
mdmuddin
mdmuddin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arabic and RTL Language support

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to get the iriver cover story to read Arabic epubs. I have a lot of them and it's too much hassle to convert them all to Pdf, especially considering that would wipe the contents and disable font size selection as well.
Thanks in advance.

Also, has anyone found, and fully tested an e-ink ereader that will display Arabic epubs properly, including the ability to change font size without ruining the order of the words or letters?
I've attached a sample epub of an Arabic book in case anyone's kind enough to give it a try. I know kindle, sony and Iriver do not have native support as I've tried.
Attached Files
File Type: epub 7317.epub (667.7 KB, 851 views)
mdmuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
Contact iriver and ask them. The operating system is linux and it can support Arabic, so they might be able to tell you how.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
mdmuddin

I already sent a message to Iriver through their website the day I bought the device but have received no reply as of yet. It's been a few weeks. Anyone know of a particular email address most likely to get me a reply?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Santo
Santo doesn't litterSanto doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story (EB02)
Hi mdmuddin,

your can "force" your Cover Story to use the font you want. It's quite hard work if you do it for first time.
You have to edit the epub either by calibre or sigil (or something similar), to be exact, you must edit stylesheet.css file. (and use fonts embedded to the book or loaded to "font" folder of your Cover Story)

try this thread, you can find answers there.

I hope this will help.
Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
mdmuddin

Dear Santo,
I really do appreciate the reply, advice and the link. I have had a look and had a go at fiddling with an epub to no avail. However, I am pretty sure I am not doing it correctly as I really didn't understand the instructions well. All that stuff was new to me.
Is there anywhere I can get a kind dummy's guide or something.
Maybe a youtube video?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Santo
Santo doesn't litterSanto doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story (EB02)
Hi mdmuddin,

I have found video (russian language). They are using Sigil software. At first, they open epub and on the left they have epub structure (epub is simply zipped xhtml document with exact structure). They are editing style*.css file (it contains paths to the fonts) and then add their own fonts to the Fonts folder. After that they save new epub with embedded fonts and check in ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) if it is working. I use different lines in style*.css, but it seems their definitions work also.

Link is here.
Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
mdmuddin

Hi Santo,
Thanks again for the help. Being a novice, I couldn't really work out what to put where in the style.css file.
If you do ever feel up for it, or anyone else reading the thread, can you possibly give it a go?
This is the link for Sigil:
This is for Adobe digital editions which you can check the produced epub with.
I've also attached a couple of the most common fonts used in normal Arabic books and doc's.
And finally, theres an Arabic epub to try out.
Thanks in any case
Old 04-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmuddin View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to get the iriver cover story to read Arabic epubs.
mdmuddin,
I could be wrong, but I understood that the current version of the ePub specifications doesn't support RTL display in any language, so it's not just a matter of the correct font. (Ditto vertical displays like certain Asian scripts.)

I know the question has come up many times in Adobe forums, and I've yet to see a satisfactory solution, or any commitment to development. It's a deficiency that obviously needs to be addressed, but whether that will then require new hardware for eReader displays, I'm not sure.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
mdmuddin

I don't know if this is of any relevance to what you're saying but there are thousands of Arabic epubs already being produced and available on websites like http://www.ibooks.ae/
I know they work perfectly well on Apple devices (Ipad Iphone, etc)
Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmuddin View Post
I already sent a message to Iriver through their website the day I bought the device but have received no reply as of yet. It's been a few weeks. Anyone know of a particular email address most likely to get me a reply?
I think most email addresses ending in @iriver.com get redirected to /dev/null.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
mattam
mattam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Well, I was able to read your Arabic eBook fine in Calibre (and I'm running Ubuntu 11.10).
The current EPUBs will support Arabic and right-to-left languages, but many of the early e-readers do not seem to support Arabic properly. The Kindle and the Kobo e-reader only display Arabic properly if you create a PDF.
mattam is offline   Reply With Quote