Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
What is Kobo's official stance on cleaning screens?

I've tried googling this, and I've gotten a bunch of answers from special anti-static sprays to vinegar and alcohol dilutions. I've also tried searching the forum, but I can't seem to get any hits.

I've read the manual from top to bottom too, and I find it very strange that there aren't any cleaning instructions.

For now, I'm using my LCD screen cleaner, but at 24 dollars a bottle, chances are I'm going to get real poor real fast. I'm afraid that there's some sort of coating that might melt off if I use the wrong thing on the ereader screen.

Anyways, does anyone know what Kobo officially or unofficially recommends for cleaning the screen?
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
Microfiber cloths
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't know that there is an official stance, but I do know that a good microfiber cloth takes care of any finger prints. I have also used a spritz or two of the solution I get for cleaning my glasses, applied to a soft cloth, not the screen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
I find if you don't mind the slight reflective shine that the original plastic gives off then just cutting the small tab in the corner gives you a free screen protector.

I would agree however with taming that a microfibre cloth like the ones for eyeglasses would work best to clean the screen as they are designed for cleaning sensitive items that can scratch easily

Michael
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLC View Post
I find if you don't mind the slight reflective shine that the original plastic gives off then just cutting the small tab in the corner gives you a free screen protector.

I would agree however with taming that a microfibre cloth like the ones for eyeglasses would work best to clean the screen as they are designed for cleaning sensitive items that can scratch easily

Michael
I heard that the plastic cover that comes attached on the kobo hampers the touch capability
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
haven't had too much issue with it but I did find that it has some reflective surface when I hold it under room lighting. I'll test with both on and off plastic and get back to you guys.

Michael
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I use a little lens cleaner sprayed onto a microfiber cloth to clean eink screens with no issues, and I use it for ipad/iphone screens as well, and even cleaning my laptop screen and keyboard. The only screen warnings I've seen are not to use things with ammonia, like Windex. Walmart sells little bottles of lens cleaner in their optical shops, with free refills.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
I use a little lens cleaner sprayed onto a microfiber cloth to clean eink screens with no issues, and I use it for ipad/iphone screens as well, and even cleaning my laptop screen and keyboard. The only screen warnings I've seen are not to use things with ammonia, like Windex. Walmart sells little bottles of lens cleaner in their optical shops, with free refills.
If you buy the automotive Windex you can use it. It's ammonia free so it doesn't affect tinted car windows.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
any type of LCD monitor cleaner should be fine, but as others have said, I just use a plain, dry lens cloth;
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm not aware of static being any kind of factor with e-ink screens at all, and the plastic screen is already matted to reduce glare and so accordingly I feel that using anything stronger than clean water as a cleaning solution is overkill and money down the drain.

As for a cloth, again the screen is plastic so you don't want to use anything made of plastic to wipe it down unless it's a specialized cloth. Lens cloths are indeed specialized, but made for glass...so I avoid. I'd deem a quality microfibre cloth a good choice for a dusting down, but avoid Swiffer cloths, J-cloths, even regular paper towel as you just don't know exactly what's in there anymore. My cloth of choice though is anything made of soft cotton. I got a good result on the weekend by using a dampened Q-tip to clean the corners and edges, and actually went ahead and swabbed the whole screen...I used the other end of the swab to dry off and the corner of my t-shirt as a finisher. The screen looked like new.
And obviously you wouldn't want to swab too hard as there's a plastic stick just beneath the surface of every Q-tip.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
I heard that the plastic cover that comes attached on the kobo hampers the touch capability
im not sure it does. Seems to me i was using mine fine with the screen cover on and with the current touch screen impelementation theroretically you can touch with gloves on

who knows.. did you play the soduko game on your touch yet?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote