Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
No more using PSP chargers...

Did anyone else notice in the pics that the new readers no longer have a charging port for barrel connectors? I guess this is one of the ways they are saving space/weight, but I do hate to see this connector gone, since it is more reliable that USB charging.

Andrew
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Maybe they'll be switching to the now-standard microUSB?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Did anyone else notice in the pics that the new readers no longer have a charging port for barrel connectors? I guess this is one of the ways they are saving space/weight, but I do hate to see this connector gone, since it is more reliable that USB charging.

Andrew
From Sony UK website:
Features PRS-650
Quote:
Other accessories include a cover with light for use at night-time and AC adapter
I would say it means we still should be able to charge it with PSP adapter...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, it's a new adapter with USB socket.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, I expect that any USB charger will work. Sony, however, was careful to put this note in the manual:
Quote:
We recommend the optional AC adapter (PRSA-AC1). The performance of any third party charger is not guaranteed.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Yes, I expect that any USB charger will work. Sony, however, was careful to put this note in the manual:
That is a standard blurb that nearly all manufacturers place in their docs. As long as the voltage is correct and the amperage is close it should work. However, as I recall with the 300, 600, and 900 Sony used a slightly higher voltage for their barrel charger than some other AC wall warts. So check the specs.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The guide also says the reader can't be read while it's charging. I hope that's only true when it's connected to the computer...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The guide also says the reader can't be read while it's charging. I hope that's only true when it's connected to the computer...
Based on my experience with the 300, 600, and 900, if you were charging via the USB cable and your PC then you couldn't read at the same time because the Reader acted like a computer drive. If you were charging via the AC charger then you could read, but the reader was not acting like a drive in that circumstance.

I bought a two headed USB cable that had a standard USB connector on one end and a Y on the other with your choice of barrel charger connector or the micro-USB connector. If I plugged the standard connector into the PC and the barrel connector into the Reader it would allow me to read while charging.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Rydertheblack
Þýskaland sonur
Rydertheblack began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900 // prs650
The prs650 that i have is using a mini usb charger... i guess that the 350 is going to have the same...
Rydertheblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
From the looks of the pictures on this review, it seems like you should be able to read while charging. The pictures clearly show readers with a USB cable attached while begin fully operational. If you connect the reader to a computer it's probably a different story though.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydertheblack View Post
The prs650 that i have is using a mini usb charger... i guess that the 350 is going to have the same...
Nope.
Micro-USB charger. Same as the Kindle 3 and most smart phones.
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Which probably means that the Apple iPod charger will work just fine to charge the new readers too!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydertheblack View Post
Wait - how'd you get one already? I'm jealous. Everybody I've talked to said they don't exist until the middle of the month
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Now what do I do with my old charger? I should have sold it with my 600, had I known at the time! Will the old covers for the 600 work with the 650?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
No, the covers won't fit...the 650's outer dimensions are smaller than the 600.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote