Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
What Took so Long?

This year was the first I've heard about digital readers bursting out of media headlines with the iPad, Kindle and e-Ink technology. But why did it take digital books so long to emerge? Looking at an eReader at first I though it looked like something from the 80's. Shouldn't this technology be up to date with like HD 1080p e-Ink technology by now?

Here's what I mean... http://cgi.ebay.ph/VINTAGE-CASIO-Z-7...-/270619854502
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
So far, ebook piracy hasn't been widespread enough to encourage many far eastern manufacturers to build reading devices, so the cost of the devices has remained fairly high.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Moving an established, old fashioned industry to a whole new way of doing business is a long, hard slog.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
There are also many people out there who prefer to avoid e-readers. The only dead tree books I can think of buying for myself in the past 5+ years are the Monster Blood Tattoo books (bought for the art), and a few technical books not available in ebook format.

I'm taking a momentary break from reading "Graceling" on my Kindle to catch up on Mobileread. At the same time, my teen son has finished mowing the lawn and is reading "Mockingjay" in dead tree hardcover. He's read some books on my Kindle, but, he just doesn't _like_ it. He likes turning the pages, the sense of accomplishment his bookmark gives him, and the nice book covers.

My enjoyment of ebooks comes from preferring the content to the delivery system. I love to _READ_, it doesn't matter if it's a cheap and tattered or high tech and glossy. With an ereader, I can carry as much of my library in one device as is humanly possible. The reader is physically lightweight, easy on the eyes, mindlessly easy to operate (one button push turns pages), etc.

Right now, I know I'm in the minority. The delivery system for ebooks is improving all the time. Eventually it'll be good enough that ebook fans will be in the majority.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
This year was the first I've heard about digital readers bursting out of media headlines with the iPad, Kindle and e-Ink technology. But why did it take digital books so long to emerge? Looking at an eReader at first I though it looked like something from the 80's. Shouldn't this technology be up to date with like HD 1080p e-Ink technology by now?

It may be the first you've heard of it, but eBooks certainly aren't new. I've been reading them for well over 20 years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:

Talk about a blast from the past. I remember the Geos operating system and when it was first ported to the PC. It was supposed to make Microsoft tremble. Instead, the company that owned it flubbed the release, didn't bother putting out an SDK until well after Microsoft had released Windows 3.1 and the rest as they say is history. As for ebook reading, I've been doing it since I was reading on my old Palm M100.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
They certainly aren't new, but unlike say, MP3s, there is no easy way for a person to convert their existing book library to a digital format.

I think that's a big drag.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
Talk about a blast from the past. I remember the Geos operating system and when it was first ported to the PC. It was supposed to make Microsoft tremble. Instead, the company that owned it flubbed the release, didn't bother putting out an SDK until well after Microsoft had released Windows 3.1 and the rest as they say is history. As for ebook reading, I've been doing it since I was reading on my old Palm M100.
Geos on the Commodores was a bloated piece of junk from the word go.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Geos on the Commodores was a bloated piece of junk from the word go.
ahahah..but..it demoed great!

I remember being shown a preview of it on the 64 before it came out, and it looked like it could do anything a Mac could do. But then it came out
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
...But then it came out
Unfortunately.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I've been following ereaders since the NuvoMedia Rocket days...how I lusted after one of those before Goldstar bought 'em and they went to hell. I only bought an ereader a couple of months ago, when the Kobo came out. At that time, Kindle and Nook were still $259, which struck me as exorbitant. Not just a bit pricey, but exorbitant. It took some perceived competition to bring them down to earth.

The biggest stumbling block, though, is DRM. It should NOT be this hard to download a text file! I still get confused trying to buy a book from Kobobooks or anyone else, except Amazon and the Kindle (and I don't have a Kindle, just Kindle-For-PC). If they would just get over the DRM nonsense so that I could download a book easily from whatever store I chose, I'd be much happier. If you want "easy," you have to go with the Kindle.

Although my wife loves her Kobo, if it were up to her to try to download books to it, she wouldn't bother. She would get frustrated and throw the thing away.

Growing pains, I guess. I hope that's all it is.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
... Looking at an eReader at first I though it looked like something from the 80's...
The big secret: they all run on CP/M.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
The biggest stumbling block, though, is DRM. It should NOT be this hard to download a text file!
DRM is indeed a pain, however geographic restrictions simply has to be the worst impediment at current for those ebook lovers residing outside the US. Amazon has a massive amount of ebooks for purchase it is true, but the offerings due to GR for non US residents is a fraction of what is available for US residents.

If GR is removed and publishers go to a more modern global system of ebook distribution, then it would be reflected in higher ebook sales.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
They certainly aren't new, but unlike say, MP3s, there is no easy way for a person to convert their existing book library to a digital format.

I think that's a big drag.
This. And DRM making it confusing to shop around and support. A book is problem free.

And prices are still holding them down.

I just bought a hardcover of a book I really considered getting the ebook of, picked it up on ebay. But it is at full retail. I can get the paperback shipped from Amazon or B&N cheaper than the ebook. Makes no sense whatsoever. And it has no nasty DRM. I really wanted the e-book despite the DRM, but I wasn't going to pay full retail for it.

Instead, I bought a used hardcover off of ebay for ~$6.50 shipped, $1.50 cheaper than the ebook.

It's like if MP3 albums were priced at the retail $16.99 - $19.99 they used to charge for CDs. Yeah, like I'd pay that.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
<cough> Isn't it possible for naughty people to strip off DRM? </cough>
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote