Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Problems loading new book

Hi - Kobo newbie here. I have looked through the forums but haven't found an answer to my problem.

I just bought my first Kobo book from the Kobo bookstore. I then used the Kobo desktop app to tranfer it to my Kobo (using "Update Library" and then "Sync"). I ejected the reader and it gave the "processing" message - but when it got to the library, the book wasn't there (looked under I'm reading and Books). Tried this a few times.

Eventually, the book appeared (no idea what I did differently). I open the book and it shows the cover and "loading" but the progress bar doesn't move - I left it for 15 minutes with no movement of the progress bar. The book is over 800 pages (Stephen King's Under the Dome) but this seemed long to me.

Have tried deleting the book and trying again. Deleting the book (both using Kobo software and deleting manually from Explorer) and downloading it over the wifi to the device. Nothing works.

I have tried downloading the ePub and transferring using ADE - this works (and loads quickly) but the formatting is terrible - it has about a one inch margin on the right hand side, as well as large top and bottom margins - so there are very few words on a page. I really wanted to know if the formatting would be better using Kobo (plus I would like to know that using the Kobo software works in the future).

I have downloaded 4 books from the library using ADE and have had no problems so far (including the formatting being ok), and have not had any problems reading the included books on the device.

I am on version 1.7.4 of the software. Thank you.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Update - I have also "lost" the 2 library books that I had on there. They display in ADE and when I look at the Kobo in Explorer, they are there - but are not listed in the books.

I think this thing is eating my books. I thought re-authorizing ADE would help - and now my device is only showing 94 books (missing the User Guide plus some of the free books - looking in Explorer, under "kepub" folder, it still has 100 files)

I'm pretty tech savvy, so I don't think I've done anything stupid. Any advice gratefully accepted!

Last edited by digiSara; 12-29-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: additional information
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
digiSara
Groupie

Next update (sorry) - I have done a factory reset and I have all the original 101 books back on the device. I have reauthorised and have transferred the library books back and they are working fine.

I haven't resolved the issue with the Kobo book - but I think after 6 hours of syncing and restarting, I'm going to stop there for tonight and read my books...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Try deleting the book from the I'm Reading section of the Kobo website - it should still be in the Purchased Section. Then synch the Kobo Desktop - this should remove the book from the desktop. Then go back into the website, select Purchased books and bookmark the book, this will then move it to the I'm Reading section. Now Synch the Kobo Desktop again, this should download the book again. If the problem was a corrupted download this should fix it.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
digiSara
Groupie

I've did as suggested and removed the book from I'm reading on the website. I have reloaded it and all seems to be working - I guess a bad download the first time and then possibly my resyncing did something to the database. A factory reset and resync have worked. Thanks for listening!
Advert