Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
bauerhjb
Connoisseur
bauerhjb began at the beginning.

Device: laptop, netbook, LG & Nextus tablets - Window 10, 8.1, 7,
Humor - Thinking about ereaders...Read this 1st - humor

These were too true and too funny to ignore. No offense meant to anyone...

The Morning Coffee – 11 May 2012 is post from The Digital Reader posted the links for these 2 cartoons (which in turn appeared on Ebook Friendly: "Why not try a book?".

and "Using the Ereader"

There were another 18 'toons on this thread that could also raise a smile.
bauerhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nook Tablet
Very valid points. Why didn't I think of that?
Shirohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
And sadly untrue. One of my major reasons for getting a small, light e-ink reader is that a lot of books aren't compatible with my hands - especially with the industry move away from MMPs and toward giant trade paperbacks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Books:

Page always loads: I've had more than my share of books that lost a page or two due to the binding glue drying out.

DRM free: Still suffer from georestrictions

Never loses your data: Lost my page by having a bookmark fall out FAR more often than I've lost anything on my Kindle

Immune to viruses: So is my Kindle (effectively)

Compatible with all hands: Ever try to hold a book like The Count of Monte Cristo open along with a dictionary in the other hand?

E-reader:

Getting started: Assuming you've ordered a Kindle online: Open the frustration free packaging, turn it on. Already registered and ready to download your books.

Adding books: Copy them into the documents folder or browse the built in Amazon store. I'm not sure I've ever seen an easier to use piece of technology. I've seen more complicated toasters.

Reading: About 50 times more than I ever did before because of all of the problems with paper books.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Cute, but not wholy accurate.

Infinite battery life: Ehh... modern books? Probably not. It'll still outlive me assuming nothing too bad happens, but... what's inconvinient about plugging something in? I don't use it 24/7. It doesn't ALWAYS need to be on the move with me.

Page always loads: Not if it's fallen out, or is heavily damaged.

DRM free: So is the entirety of my ebook collection.

Never loses your data: Sure you can. Flood, fire, carelessness, running out of space and selling them...

Immune to viruses: Nope. Termites. Besides that, seriously, I have never heard of an ereader virus.

Compatible with all hands/eyes: Nope. Ereaders are the savior of plenty of the visually impaired, where reading may otherwise be impossible or require extra implements.

Vibration and drop resistant: Yeah. Unless you're dropping it in, say, a tub. That'll pretty much destroy a book. My ereader might survive it, if I turn it off and let it dry out completely. Or, alternatively, I can just put it in a plastic bag without it inhibiting my page turning and without having to worry about water damage.

Ereading FTW!
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
  1. Infinite battery life: I'll give it that.
  2. Page always loads: As mentioned, not if some of the pages have fallen off (or been torn off by annoying little brothers).
  3. DRM free: I'll give it that, too (granted, I always disinfect my purchased ebooks).
  4. Never loses your data: See number 2. Another thing, it loses bookmarks and annotations (basically post-it notes) a lot more often than my e-ink reader. I've also bought some duplicates because while the books themselves might retain data, I've misplaced several books inside the house or forgotten that I've already purchased a book - happens when you've got a large number of books and not enough shelves to put them in.
  5. Immune to viruses: As mentioned earlier, termites. Mold and mildew for humid climates.
  6. Compatible with all hands/eyes: Nah. My PRS-350 is a lot more compatible with my hands than your typical mass market paperback. Forget hardcovers.
  7. Vibration and drop resistant: Not if the book has a particularly delicate spine. I've seen some books with pages that have flown off after a mild drop.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote