Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sony offers to re-upgrade PRS-500s with battery issues...

Mobileread member kilohertz53 reports that sony sent him the following email offering to fix the battery life issues on his upgraded Sony PRS-500 for free again and they pay shipping. Here is the letter he received:

Dear PRS-500 Reader(TM) Owner,

Thank you for allowing us to update your Reader to be compatible with our new and improved Reader(TM) Store. As a result of this update, you may have experienced diminished battery life with your PRS-500. This was an unintended side effect. Part of the benefit of using a device like the Reader is the superior battery life and we would like to ensure that you continue to enjoy this key advantage. To this end, we have developed new firmware that will resolve the issue. Unfortunately, this will require you to send your Reader back to us again. We realize this may pose another inconvenience for you but we hope you will accept our sincerest apologies and allow us to repair your Reader.

What do I need to do?

Due to the nature of the work required, you will need to send your PRS-500 Reader back to the Sony Service Center. We have already taken steps to send a pre-paid box to you in which you can pack your Reader with as little hassle as possible. Sony will pay the postage and have your Reader back to you promptly.

If you do not receive a box, have changed your mailing address or have any questions please call: 1-877-552-7669 or visit https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web...0&purchaseDate to print a pre-paid UPS label to mail back your Reader in your own packaging.

Please keep in mind this issue only affects PRS-500 units that have previously been updated by Sony. We apologize once again and will include a $10 coupon for the Reader Store when we send your Reader back to you.

Sincerely,
The Reader Team

I'm not sure what more you could ask for... other than the original fix not having the problem of course.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-18-2010 at 11:00 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
seveng
seveng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Palm Pre
I got that this morning too, and Sony taking care of my aging old 500 has me seriously debating the 900 vs the Nook.
seveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
shit, for me this means double shipment payment from and to Italy, again.
I think I'll stick with the battery issue (that I have, even with the reader switched off) because an other firmware upgrade would cost too much
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacchi View Post
shit, for me this means double shipment payment from and to Italy, again.
I think I'll stick with the battery issue (that I have, even with the reader switched off) because an other firmware upgrade would cost too much
Doesn't this apply to Italy?

Quote:
Sony will pay the postage and have your Reader back to you promptly
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
yes - if you're inside US I believe. That's usually implicit, since the PRS-500 has always been sold only in the US. (just like previous buggy firmware upgrade)
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
therealcmj
therealcmj began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
got it this AM too. One week without each of the readers is a bummer, but definitely worth getting the fix. And like seveng, Sony's care for me as a customer (and early adopter) is encouraging me to take a look at the new readers.

even though the iPad looks so shiny.
therealcmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Awesome. I'll gladly ship mine back for the fix. I had thought it had reached the end of it's usable life. I never thought the upgrade would have caused the issue. Good to see Sony taking proactive steps!
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
TheMooch
Member Retired

To make things even better I just got the UPS notification of the shipping box. I checked the tracking number and found out that it's on the truck for delivery today! Now THAT'S what I call planning. Nice job Sony.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have the box. Got it today.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Are they sending the email to all who upgraded their PRS-500 or only those that complained?
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
addepalli1
addepalli1 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS 500, Kindle DX
To all that upgraded
addepalli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Amazing in that UPS just delivered a box to replace my 500 even though they just sent me a replacement 600 for the 500. Go figure.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
TonyTerra
TonyTerra began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500,Sony PRS505 & Viewsonic VEB612,Apple 64GB ipad,Sony PRS950
I also recieved the upgrade repair offer from Sony Canada,this appears to be applicable to all of North America. According to Sony this model was only available here so I would think if you have one outside of North America you would need someone to act as an agent for you or aquire a P.O.Box over here.
TonyTerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealcmj View Post
got it this AM too. One week without each of the readers is a bummer, but definitely worth getting the fix. And like seveng, Sony's care for me as a customer (and early adopter) is encouraging me to take a look at the new readers.

even though the iPad looks so shiny.
It is pretty high level customer service from Sony, I'm impressed. It might cost them a few million but it makes their customers very loyal and picks up new customers.

Just on the iPad.. It has a service where you send it away to get the battery replaced and they just ship you a new/refurbished unit instead. I think it's like $80 I believe, but when the battery goes you get a new iPad!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
TheMooch
Member Retired

Got my 10x10x10 box stacked with nothing but bubble wrap and a shipping label. It's already loaded and on its way back to Texas. I'll let you know when it's on it's way back. Not bad considering the email about the fix arrived this morning! WooHoo!