Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #706
druss67
Connoisseur
druss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 4, PBk Lux 2, PBk Lux 3, K Aura, K Libra H2O, K Libra2
The same issue for me
druss67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #707
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I can confirm that, too.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #708
druss67
Connoisseur
druss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notes

My PB3 received an update. The issue, is now solved, the "last opened book" at startup works.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #709
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Confirmed. Thanks for the news.
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #710
druss67
Connoisseur

Hello,

New firmware for PB 626.
W626.5.9.460 Fixed several minor bugs.

http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f...n_630_user.zip
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #711
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Firmware 5.12

And again a new version of the firmware, 5.12, is available for the PocketBook Touch Lux 2 and 3. (How nice that they keep on upgrading the TL2 even though it's been on the market for about a year and a half now.)

Main feature is PocketBook Cloud support. From the release notes:
  • Keeps user’s eBooks in one safe place: use this feature to be sure your book is secure.
  • Automatically synchronizes Reading positions, Collections and Favorites to all of the platforms: Android, iOS and the Web. Now one can easily access the downloaded book from any device and continue reading from the point where one left off.

There are several other improvements. I'll mention just one of them because it gave me some problems:
  • Library performance was enhanced in order to work more efficiently with a large number of books.

A new step in the upgrade process is an update of the library database that you cannot skip. While running that step my TL2 hung. The progress bar quickly moved to about one third and then stopped. I waited for about an hour and then decided to reset the reader. After the reboot the database update automatically tried to resume, but it hung again. This happened a few times, and then I decided to try again without my SD card (which contains quite a lot of books). Then the process finished without any problems.

After that I inserted my SD card again and looked for the option to update the library database... It's gone! The options to update the database automatically or just once, and the option to optimize the database, they're all gone. I assume that this means that the database now is always updated automatically and you have no possibility to turn this off. I did not copy a new book to my reader yet to test this.

Folder support was always one of the distinguishing features of the PocketBook devices. It is still there, but from one firmware version to the next the PB relies more and more on the database. Many old-time PB fans won't like that.

BTW, I'm not saying the there is something wrong with this firmware upgrade. The problem I had may very well be with my SD card, or something else on my reader. Of course, if other people experience the same problem...

On the plus side: so far, Brucelee's CoolReader 3 fork works perfectly well on 5.12.

Last edited by Zetmolm; 11-27-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #712
Serpico
Enthusiast
Serpico began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
After uprade to the new software version (W626.5.12.366) I have serious issues with the PocketBook Touch Lux 3:

Issue no. 1:

- epub books closing on its own on page turn (when epub file is opened with FBReader the file doesn't close - the issue is only with the default PocketBook epub reader). I hadn't had this issue before the upgrade (i.e. with the previous version of the software).

See here: https://youtu.be/AIeFqf-eMmE

The other issue I see is this:

Issue no.2:

- when you once open a file with FBReader (by using long press on the file and then /Open with/FBReader) this file will be from now on always opened with FBReader even if you next time just click on the file (not using long press/Open with/FBReader). That means if you once open some book with FBReader then from now on you have no way to open the file with the default PocketBook reader. (You can see if the file is opened with the default reader or FBReader because of the difference in showing text in italic - default reader is always showing the italic text with the same font no matter what is set in the options. FBReader is showing italic text with the font set in options.)

The third issue is related to the previous but pertains the default bookmark:

Issue no. 3:

- when you close the book opened with the default reader it remembers the place where you stopped reading. Next time you open this book it will open in the place where you stopped reading - that's the desired behaviour. Now is the issue - when you open the same book in FBReader it will open on the first page (not the one where you stopped reading in the default reader) and you have no way to find the place to continue the reading because you have no way to open the book with the default reader (because of the issue no. 2.)

Really big bugs have been introduced with this version. I hope it will be solved soon as this makes the reader pretty inconvenient to use.

Last edited by Serpico; 11-29-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Serpico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #713
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Issue 1: Adobe Reader is really buggy in this version. It also closes if you do a long press to get to the next section. The bugs have been reported in a German forum, hopefully Pocketbook will release an update next week.

Issue 2: If you open a book with FB Reader this gets written into handlers.cfg, a configuration file that stores the reader for each file. You should be able to change to Adobe by selecting "open with" after long press on a book in the library.

Issue 3: Have you tried setting a bookmark as a workaround? As an alternative software, I can recommend Coolreader. Everything works fine with that. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256917
Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #714
Serpico
Enthusiast
Serpico began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Issue 2: Thanks for the tip - works fine. I didn't know that the default epub reader on PocketBook is Adobe Reader.

Issue 3: Setting bookmark before closing file is a workaround but it is troublesome to remember and do it every time. I just started to read all books in FBReader which works fine but opening books by long pressing the file and selecting "Open with/FBReader" is troublesome too. At least I can still read books I will check CoolReader - I was using it on Android smartphone some time ago - thanks for the link.

Apparently much more testing is needed for PocketBook to perform before releasing new software versions.

The change that I appreciate with this version although is:

- the improvement in the Dropbox synchronisation app. So far the file deleted on Dropbox online storage was not being deleted on PocketBook device - instead the file was re-uploaded from PB device back to the Dropbox online storage.
- the "+" and "-" buttons on the font size setting menu. I was having hard time to set the proper font size with the bar only in the previous versions of the software. Now the +/- buttons are making the job (finally) much easier.

I would love to see some more detailed changelog posted by PocketBook on its website with every new version of the software to be aware about new options and improvements. The one posted here http://www.pocketbook-int.com/pl/sup...ok-touch-lux-3 does not say anything above the aforementioned changes as well as about the newly introduced "PocketBook Cloud" service.

Last edited by Serpico; 11-29-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Serpico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:52 AM   #715
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

Issue 3: You can change the default reader by changing the desired app to first place in extensions.cfg. This is what Coolreader will do, when you install it.
Coolreader takes a bit of getting used to but it has really cool features I don't want to miss anymore. Plus no more faulty Adobe Reader.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #716
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
My biggest issue with this firmware version is the mandatory database refresh when new books are added. In previous versions I could deactivate the automatic database refresh and quickly swap SD cards without the performance degradation and battery drainage that comes with the database update. Now that seems to be no longer possible, although I did not test this scenario yet (one of my SD cards turns out to be broken; I just ordered a new one). I expect that whenever I swap the SD card the database will be refreshed.

Another distinguishing feature of PocketBook gone. I might as well buy a K..o next time...
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #717
calyps0
calyps0 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey Frontlight
What exactly is the new "PocketBook cloud" feature ?
I have looked for IOS and Android apps, there is a "PocketBook reader" but it does not seem to be related to PocketBook and does not have sync capabilities. How can we use the "PocketBook cloud" ?
calyps0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #718
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

You have to register to the cloud via a bookstore near you or one where you already bought something. Then you have your bought books in the cloud, you can upload your own and sync them on multiple devices. Something I personally don't need, but other manufacturers have that, too.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #719
calyps0
calyps0 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey Frontlight
calyps0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:59 AM   #720
wyf49679
wyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with others

Device: PocketBook InkPad 840
Good news, everyone!

New firmware 5.11 for PocketBook InkPad 840 is now available at
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/sup...ketbook-inkpad

Release notes state that major issues have been fixed:
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/8...nkPad(ENG).pdf
wyf49679 is offline   Reply With Quote