Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
You have a little square next to every ? (question mark) character in the text, is that deliberate?
Cripes, definitely not. Which format did you download? And what are you reading it on?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
Cripes, definitely not. Which format did you download? And what are you reading it on?
On the blog you posted.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the blog you posted.
I'd have to say I had a look at the online version of the book on my own computer and two others and saw no problem. Perhaps it's an issue with the fonts on your own?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
I'd have to say I had a look at the online version of the book on my own computer and two others and saw no problem. Perhaps it's an issue with the fonts on your own?
Possibly, but it would be more likely to be browser dependent than anything else. Looking at it in a different browser I don't see the squares.

I had a look at the source code, and you have * inserted either just before or just after the ? characters. Like this:

Code:
I thought to ask: "Where did you begin?*"<br />
<br />
If you copy it into notepad you get a square as well, which is why I thought it might have been deliberate.

Last edited by mr ploppy; 03-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Bah. I can't get it to paste properly in here, it turns it into an asterisk.

Take the spaces out of these characters for what you have next to the ? characters:

& # 8 2 0 4
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #21
garygibsonsf
Addict

Quote:
Bah. I can't get it to paste properly in here, it turns it into an asterisk.

Take the spaces out of these characters for what you have next to the ? characters:

& # 8 2 0 4
I suspect this is getting into areas involving character codes where I'm far from expert. For what it's worth, I'm looking mostly at it on firefox running on a macbook. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has the same problem, but maybe if I tried stripping those numbers out altogether it would fix it. Mind you, I didn't actually put them in. They look like there were automatically generated in some way, maybe by blogger, where it's hosted, so maybe they'd just reappear again.

Edit:I just took a look at the source code in Blogger, and the characters aren't there. So Blogger is generating them automatically whenever stuff is posted up. I suspect maybe I won't be able to fix it, I'm afraid.

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 03-07-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #22
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It's a 'ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER' unicode char (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...200c/index.htm) so I guess that the fact that it's visible is down to the browser either doing the wrong thing or possibly having it's defaults being overridden to display it due to odd choice of browser encoding or font.

It's to suggest that the characters preceding it and following it should not try to join or ligate, but shouldn't itself show up...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi Gary,

I have downloaded Judgement from Smashwords and look forward to reading it. I was just wondering if you were going to put any of your other books on there, I ask as I prefer my books to be DRM free? Would love to read Stealing Light, Nova War and even your Angel Stations book.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
garygibsonsf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Hi Gary,

I have downloaded Judgement from Smashwords and look forward to reading it. I was just wondering if you were going to put any of your other books on there, I ask as I prefer my books to be DRM free? Would love to read Stealing Light, Nova War and even your Angel Stations book.
I'm afraid not, since those books of mine (as opposed to Fergus's) are contracted to Pan Macmillan in the UK, and I have no control over how they're sold. I wouldn't mind maybe one of them sometime in the future being a freebie, but that would depend on whether it made sound business sense to do so, and there are currently a lot of reasons not to do that.

You can, however, buy ebooks of Stealing Light and Nova War at UK-based sites like Waterstones and WHSmiths Ebooks. They have DRM, unless you buy them direct from PanMacmillan.com, in which case they don't (nor do any of the ebooks sold by Pan Mac direct from their website in the UK). They're admittedly a bit more expensive than elsewhere but, like I say, no DRM - and no geo restrictions, last I heard, anyway.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Ok fair enough Gary but I wasn't wanting them free on Smashwords, I would happily pay for them. I will look into getting Stealing Light from WHsmith but will wait on Nova Wars as its personally too much for me to pay at the moment, will wait till it drops in price.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #26
garygibsonsf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Ok fair enough Gary but I wasn't wanting them free on Smashwords, I would happily pay for them. I will look into getting Stealing Light from WHsmith but will wait on Nova Wars as its personally too much for me to pay at the moment, will wait till it drops in price.
I was just thinking out loud there when I talked about the freebies thing, but my fault for not reading your comment properly. Nova War's out in paperback in the UK in July, I think, so with luck the price of the ebook should drop about then.