Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #46
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I like very much (random order)
Connelly
Crichton
Deighton (spy stories)
Sjöwall and Wahlöö
The early Gavin Lyall
Fred Vargas
Martin Cruz Smith (The Arkady books)
and, maybe my preferred, the great Dick Francis, who just passed away but his son Felix, who coauthered the last books, will continue the excellent work. By the way Kobo carries most of Francis's stories
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #47
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Try Quintin Jardine - I really enjoyed those of his books that I've read so far - and he is been quite a prolific writer. so the enjoyment goes on.
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #48
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Crime Authors

Ian Rankin (Rebus) - love these, good on audio book as well. Have every single one on paperback and one signed Hardback.
Ruth Rendell (Wexford) - also like her other stuff and the darker ones she writes under Barbara Vine
Michael Connelly (Bosch)
PD James (Dalgleish)
Martin Cruz Smith (Renko)

If I want something light and fuzzy - i.e. airport lit or on hols - James Patterson usually does it for me.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #49
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datatraveler View Post
I'm a huge Michael Connelly fan. Harry Bosch is the perfect example of a pulp fiction detective, I've read them all (some 2 or 3 times) except Nine Dragons the price is still way to high for an Ebook.
Have you checked out his reader forum? He is the only author I read where I have all of his books in an electronic format. Most are on my PDA as they were BE (Before Ereaders).
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #50
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I recommend Joe R. Lansdale's "Hap and Leonard" series. Texas noir/ black comedy weirdness.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #51
Franky
Nameless Being

Michael Connelly is indeed cool, but I can't find any ebook in German. that's a problem for a lot of good writers.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #52
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I have a Lansdale TBR but haven't read any of his yet. He has some fans over on the Michael Connelly forum.

Tomorrow is the release of The Pallbearer, the new Shane Scully book by Stephen J Cannell.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #53
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, Hap and Leonard are awesome. A new Scottish mystery featuring a boozy PI was just put out on Kindle by William Meikle--the Bunker Hole Road Mystery. Debbi Mack's Identity Crisis is a fast-paced police procedural, and John O'Dowd has the Kindle crime thriller Mahko's Knife out, featuring a former military officer with Apache blood who tracks a gang of criminals in the Southwest desert after they've kidnapped his son.

Other author recs are the great Elmore Leonard and James Lee Burke.

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #54
J.T. Cummins
J.T. Cummins began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Kindle for Windows PC
Hey Scott, you're right on! I recently read Identity Crisis by Debbi Mack. It’s a fun, complex and layered mystery/thriller that features new female lawyer/sleuth Sam McRae. The fast-paced story jump-starts when she takes on a seemingly simple open-and-shut case involving a missing person that spirals out of control when the mob, strippers, and an oddball gumshoe get involved. This is not only a gripping mystery/thriller from author Debbi Mack, but it is also a very fun read as she spices things up with a good dose of humor.

J.T. Cummins
Cobblestones
J.T. Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #55
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I don't think anyone has mentioned Elmore Leonard
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #56
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Nelson DeMille
George Pelecanos
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #57
JohnnyCanuck
JohnnyCanuck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Been lurking here a bit, thought I'd make this my first post because I'm a huge fan of the genre.

Some of my favourites have been mentioned already (James Lee Burke and Harlan Coben among others). Nelson DeMille's John Corey series is excellent as are some of his others (General's Daughter, Up Country are two ... DeMille's a phenomenal writer in general but I wouldn't call Gold Coast or Gate House crime fiction). Tom Rob Smith's Child 44 was mentioned and the sequel, The Secret Speech, is a good read as well.

More along the Raymond Chandler line, a little more hard-boiled private eye type, would be Loren Estleman's Amos Walker series. Completely less hard-boiled, but entertaining nonetheless, would be David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter novels.

John Hart's first novel (King of Lies) was mentioned, but I think next two get even better (Down River and The Last Child). John Lescroart's is usually a reliable read. Daniel Edward Craig's Murder at the Universe was a fantastic debut novel. The first sequel was a disappointment and Murder at Gravely Manor was a bit better, but really only the first one is a really good read.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 04-06-2010 at 01:18 AM.
JohnnyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #58
davison
Working On It
davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Has anyone mentioned Simon Kernick? He's a young(ish) British author who is starting to make a splash. I've read most of his stuff and thoroughly enjoyed it.
davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #59
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Louise Penny's "Three Pines" series - set in Canada - is a lovely, slow atmospheric mystery series set in a town populated by misfits from the big world.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/series/9415...kindle_edition
This is the sort of thing that drives absolutely mad. Canadian mystery writer Louise Penny is from Toronto, went to University and worked for the CBC steps from my front door. Though she has become a mystery writer in recent years and moved near Montreal, all of her books are available to me at my local stores, and online such as Amazon (.com, .ca), in paperback, hardcover and audiobooks.

But I can't buy any of her e-books -- not from Amazon, not from Sony, not from Kobo. It is absolutely whacked. A native son (in this case daughter) cannot be read where the author was born, trained, works, resides, publishes ... because of these stupid geo-agreements. I do not blame the authors; I do not blame the bookseller vendors. I squarely blame the publishers for creating this mess.

Bahhhh!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #60
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I might as well rub salt into the wounds ...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Pe...111/story.html

Canadian author Louise Penny just won her THIRD Agatha Award for Best Novel ... three, in three years. She's the first author ever to do so. Her ebooks are not available in Canada.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mystery ebooks, thriller