Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thank you!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
FWIW, the command line calibre-server tool is not well behaved wrt the underlying command line shell. If you, for example, type calibre-server --help, you have just totally destroyed whatever colour settings your shell has. I don't, for example, have a black background on my shell. But you change it to that, and it won't change back short of killing the window and opening a new one. And even on a black background CMD.EXE window, the text is unreadable.

How about simply giving me an unadulterated man page? THAT I can deal with.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Huh? calibre-server --help is neither unreadable in my black cmd.exe nor does it "destroy" whatever that means the colors in it. And if you want to look it up elsewhere, it is documented in the user manual.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I don't run cmd at all, though I did just to see how bad it looked. I use PowerShell.exe as my command line shell. And calibre-server --help makes assumptions about colours and enforces changes that don't work. I'll post a screen shot when I'm back at a computer.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So then you should complain to microsoft to make powershell.exe compatible with cmd.exe

command line output is designed to work with cmd.exe -- you use another console process, you are on your own. Having said that, i wont refuse a patch that improves compatibility with powershell.exe
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually, I had ten minutes, so: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...00f98c6500a108
Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
FYI - I use ConEmu, I've seen similar to what CRussel reports here's a screen shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	149448

Didn't mention it because ConEmu is 3rd party software; besides I can switch to black on white easy enough, or better yet open another tab.

ConEmu supports multiple console sessions in named tabs (optionally tiled), which reduces one of my bête noire's - taskbar clutter.

I'll let you know of any effects the patch has on ConEmu.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'll let you know of any effects the patch has on ConEmu.
ConEmu glitch fixed in 2.59

Thanks BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Good job on 2.59, Kovid. Here's how this looks on my server. (Red background window is running as an elevated user (su), white background is my standard, limited user, account.

That green is a bit iffy to read on the darker background, but still doable. And you didn't change my colour scheme, so good on you.

(FWIW, you can easily read the current background colour from the .NET class. In PowerShell, I get it with:

$bg = [console]::BackgroundColor

since I also need to know what colour scheme I have so I can set warning, error and verbose colours, along with the syntax highlighting that PowerShell v5 supports. Also note that CMD uses the exact same console underneath -- conhost.exe )

Thank you for this change. Much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-server02.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	149456  

Last edited by CRussel; 06-17-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added conhost info.