Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #46
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kobo is not a well known name but seems to be making headway in the countries it is entering. It has the ePub advantage in that it can be used at libraries and it is competitively priced with the Kindle. BN needs to get into the international game if it wants the Nook to survive.

It was not easy for Amazon to go international, it took a few years. The number of country specific stores is still pretty small.

Kobo is taking it country by country.

My point? A less well known company can make it happen. BN had a possible in with Waterstone and blew it. Going at this rate, the Nook will not be able to compete because Amazon and Kobo beat them to the punch. It might be hard but they have to find a way of doing it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My point? A less well known company can make it happen. BN had a possible in with Waterstone and blew it. Going at this rate, the Nook will not be able to compete because Amazon and Kobo beat them to the punch. It might be hard but they have to find a way of doing it.
I'm not sure the window is totally closed for B&N to expand internationally--MS *will* be distribbuting the PC Reading app worldwide--but B&N is going to need local content in those markets beyond whatever global english content they can muster.
Given that most countries should have at least one local-only player to compete with the aspiring global players (Amazon, Rakuten/Kobo, Google, and Sony) there will still be room for single-market players and Nook might survive as a US-only player. It *is* a big market, after all.

More concerning at this point is: How come B&N can't make a profit out of Nook's 25% of the US ebook market? Where is all that money going?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #48
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'm not sure the window is totally closed for B&N to expand internationally--MS *will* be distribbuting the PC Reading app worldwide--but B&N is going to need local content in those markets beyond whatever global english content they can muster.
Given that most countries should have at least one local-only player to compete with the aspiring global players (Amazon, Rakuten/Kobo, Google, and Sony) there will still be room for single-market players and Nook might survive as a US-only player. It *is* a big market, after all.

More concerning at this point is: How come B&N can't make a profit out of Nook's 25% of the US ebook market? Where is all that money going?

BN spent $200M developing the Nook, according to Ken Auletta in an article in the New Yorker. That's one answer.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #49
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If I were B&N, the Google tablet announcement yesterday would have me very worried. Google may have had Kindle Fire in their sights, but at least Kindle users have huge investments in the Amazon platform (in the US, at least). Does anyone actually feel that same loyalty to B&N?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Their employees and the publishig industry insiders.

Brand loyaty is a flimsy thing to bet your company on. Just ask Sony.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #51
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If I were B&N, the Google tablet announcement yesterday would have me very worried. Google may have had Kindle Fire in their sights, but at least Kindle users have huge investments in the Amazon platform (in the US, at least). Does anyone actually feel that same loyalty to B&N?
I'd far rather buy books from a book-centric company (like B&N or Amazon) than Google or (shudder) Apple.

That said I buy very little from either thanks to DRM on everything.

If I do go to buy a DRM'd book, I definitely go with B&N - I prefer native epub and there's no bookstore I'd rather go to for epub (except for Smashwords/Fictionwise for non-DRM epub).

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote