Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
css formatting not showing in ADE?

I'm not sure if I'm having a problem with Sigil or if this is a "me" issue. I've created a new epub using the same techniques that I always use. The problem is when I look at this epub in ADE, I don't see any of the special css formatting I've created. I see the italics and bold text that I setup using <em> and <strong> tags in the text itself but nothing setup in the css is making it through. I also have embedded fonts that are not showing, probably because the css doesn't seem to be working.

I used the same techniques I always use but I've never experienced this before. The formatting looks fine in Sigil and I get no errors when I validate. The same epub converts to mobi just fine using Calibre so I'm fairly certain there's no problem with the css or the calls to the css but problems with the css seem to be the most likely culprit from what I'm seeing, or not seeing in ADE.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? I've checked everything I can think of to check and I'm batting zero. Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
sellew
Enthusiast
sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T2
I've experienced something like this a couple of times. I found out that it was just a mistyped attribute or value in the css: it seems that while Sigil ignores just this mistake, ADE ignores the whole css stylesheet. It can be something as trivial as a missing ";" or ":" or also a mistyping like "font-sze" instead of "font-size".
I suggest you to re-read very carefully your css; in my case it took me several attempts before I found the mistake (sometimes our brains work in 'auto-correct' mode)
sellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
shall1028
Nameless Being

Let's see...without a sample from the CSS in question I will have to make an evaluation and perhaps provide a potential solution to your problems blind. So here goes...

I suspect the problem is that you have typed every in your CSS file backwards and that is why it is not being recognized. For example:

instead of

blockquote { margin: 0.1em 0 0.1em 0; padding:0; }

you might have

} ;0:gniddap; 0 me1.0 0 me1.0 :nigram { etouqkcolb

Now, someone might have a better guess than I do and if I get a chance to see the CSS first hand I will probably come up with a better solution.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
Let's see...without a sample from the CSS in question I will have to make an evaluation and perhaps provide a potential solution to your problems blind. So here goes...

I suspect the problem is that you have typed every in your CSS file backwards and that is why it is not being recognized. For example:

instead of

blockquote { margin: 0.1em 0 0.1em 0; padding:0; }

you might have

} ;0:gniddap; 0 me1.0 0 me1.0 :nigram { etouqkcolb

Now, someone might have a better guess than I do and if I get a chance to see the CSS first hand I will probably come up with a better solution.
You know what they say about everyone hating a smart alec (fill in your own word in place of alec here) don't you?

Sorry, I should've thought of that but I've been pulling my hair out on this thing and am just not thinking straight. Here is my css:

Code:
body {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    page-break-before: always;
    text-align: justify;
    font-family: "Charis";
    }
@font-face {
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    src:url(../Fonts/CharisSILR.ttf);
    }
@font-face {
    font-weight: bold;
    src:url(../Fonts/CharisSILB.ttf);
    }
@font-face {
    font-style: italic;
    src:url(../Fonts/CharisSILI.ttf);
    }
@font-face {
    font-style: italic;
    src:url(../Fonts/CharisSILBI.ttf);
    }
.appheader1 {
    font-size: 1.24999875em;
    font-weight: bolder;
    line-height: 1.2;
    margin-bottom: 0.83em;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 3%;
    text-align: center
    }
.appheader2 {
    font-size: 1.125em;
    font-weight: bolder;
    margin-bottom: 4%;
    margin-top: 1em;
    }
.bolder {
    font-weight: bolder
    }
.chapterOpenerText {
    margin-bottom: 0.25em;
    text-indent: 0%;
    }
.chaptertitle {
    font-size: 1.5em;
    margin-bottom: 20%;
    margin-top: 10%;
    text-align: center;
    }
.contents {
    }
.contentsEntry1 {
    margin-left: 0em;
    text-align: left;
    text-indent: 0;
    color: blue;
    cursor: pointer;
    text-decoration: underline
    }
.contentsEntry2 {
    margin-left: 2em;
    text-align: left;
    color: blue;
    cursor: pointer;
    text-decoration: underline
    }
.copyrightText {
    margin-bottom: 0%;
    text-align: justify;
    }
.crewlist {
    margin-bottom: 1em;
    margin-top: 1em
    }
.ded {
    display: block
    margin-top: 30%;
    }
.epigraphSource {
    margin-bottom: 5%;
    }
.epigraphText {
    margin-left: 8%;
    margin-right: 8%;
    margin-top: 30%;
    }
.italic {
    font-style: italic
    }
.mbppagebreak {
    page-break-after: always;
    }
.para {
    text-indent: 5%;
    }
.paraspaceNoIndent {
    margin-top: 3em;
    }
.partNumber {
    font-size: 3em;
    margin-bottom: 8%;
    margin-top: 40%;
    }
.teaserHeader {
    font-size: 1.25em;
    margin-bottom: 2em;
    margin-top: 5%;
    }
.titlepg {
    }
.toc {
    font-size: 1.5em;
    }
Old 10-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I'm not sure if I'm having a problem with Sigil or if this is a "me" issue. I've created a new epub using the same techniques that I always use. The problem is when I look at this epub in ADE, I don't see any of the special css formatting I've created. I see the italics and bold text that I setup using <em> and <strong> tags in the text itself but nothing setup in the css is making it through. I also have embedded fonts that are not showing, probably because the css doesn't seem to be working.

I used the same techniques I always use but I've never experienced this before. The formatting looks fine in Sigil and I get no errors when I validate. The same epub converts to mobi just fine using Calibre so I'm fairly certain there's no problem with the css or the calls to the css but problems with the css seem to be the most likely culprit from what I'm seeing, or not seeing in ADE.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? I've checked everything I can think of to check and I'm batting zero. Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Byron
ADE is very picky about CSS validity.
one tiny typo and it ignores that style.

missing or wrong punctuation, spelling, invalid arguments (2empx)

Magnify (zoom that pane in Sigil) that puppy and look carefully at each and every detail.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
ADE is very picky about CSS validity.
one tiny typo and it ignores that style.

missing or wrong punctuation, spelling, invalid arguments (2empx)

Magnify (zoom that pane in Sigil) that puppy and look carefully at each and every detail.
You're the second one to mention that. I use a fairly standard set of css options that I have saved over time and copy & paste them in so it's not like I type them in. Still, I'll often tweak them afterwards to get the right feel and I'm sure I could've easily flubbed something. I'll search through and look for what I may've messed up.

For what it's worth, a Calibre conversion from epub to epub corrected the issue but I'm not sure what else it may've changed in the process. Plus, as is typical for Calibre, it added a ton of it's own junk that I'd prefer not to have. Hopefully I'll be able to find my mistake and correct my version.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

- Byron
Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic

Got it!

Thanks to everyone for recommending that I look for my own typos. I'd edited several of my css classes and I'd deleted an ending semicolon on one of the lines for one of the classes. That's what was causing ADE to ignore the whole css.

Thanks again for your help.

- Byron
Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Got it!

Thanks to everyone for recommending that I look for my own typos. I'd edited several of my css classes and I'd deleted an ending semicolon on one of the lines for one of the classes. That's what was causing ADE to ignore the whole css.

Thanks again for your help.

- Byron
After catching myself making this same mistake a second time I've begun forcing myself to always add the ending semi-colon to all entries in a style, even the last one where its optional. When editing, I've added a line to a style more than once and forgotten to add the semi-colon to the line that was, but is no longer, the last line.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree, I tend to always set the end semi-colon even if it is not required. This helps me to keep things organized and when I change a line later there is never an issue. At least, not about the colons...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic

I know what you mean. I do this as well. I think this was a case of me fat-fingering and deleting it without realizing it. I just need to remember this if ever run into this problem again.

- Byron