Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
kindlepid.py gives same PID as MobiPocket Reader 6.0

Today, I finally decided to try Igorsk's scripts on my Kindle so that I can have access to my city's library system if I choose.

I just completed the first step by obtaining my PID and I realized it's exactly the same one generated when I installed MobiPocket 6.0 on my XP laptop. I tried Igorsk's script on my Vista Desktop (one I purchased after I got the PID on the laptop and no file info was cross pollinated). I actually posted about getting the PID from MPR here.

So some folks may already have their Kindle PID and can skip that step.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I just completed the first step by obtaining my PID and I realized it's exactly the same one generated when I installed MobiPocket 6.0 on my XP laptop. I tried Igorsk's script on my Vista Desktop (one I purchased after I got the PID on the laptop and no file info was cross pollinated). I actually posted about getting the PID from MPR here.
You mean it is the same PID that Mobipocket gave you for your Kindle? Sure, the Kindle is the same kindle so it will only have 1 PID.

Or, are you saying the PID of your PC is the same PID as your Kindle? I don't think this is (can be) the case.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You mean it is the same PID that Mobipocket gave you for your Kindle? Sure, the Kindle is the same kindle so it will only have 1 PID.

Or, are you saying the PID of your PC is the same PID as your Kindle? I don't think this is (can be) the case.

BOb
The PID of the Kindle that was generated in MobiPocket Reader 6.0 is the same PID I got when I ran kindlepid.py. The PID's were generated on 2 different computers, with 2 different OS' several months apart.

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't need the kindlepid.py script to find out the PID of a Kindle if you have MPR and XP.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The PID of the Kindle that was generated in MobiPocket Reader 6.0 is the same PID I got when I ran kindlepid.py. The PID's were generated on 2 different computers, with 2 different OS' several months apart.

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't need the kindlepid.py script to find out the PID of a Kindle if you have MPR and XP.
Ok... yes that is a known method. Good that you are verifying it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
But I think this only works on MPR 6.0. If you upgrade to a newer version of MPR it pretends it doesn't know what a Kindle is.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
But I think this only works on MPR 6.0. If you upgrade to a newer version of MPR it pretends it doesn't know what a Kindle is.

Bob
Yes, it works with 6.0. I pointed that out in the title and the first post but just left it off in my last post.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
grr
grr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
hm -- anyone have a link to the old mobipocket reader version 6.0 (not 6.2) download? Mobi has links to old betas http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/beta/, but doesn't have the stable builds. oldversion.com not helpful
grr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
grr

also, has anyone tested to see if topaz/AZW1 files for kindle are thus readable in mobipocket reader this way?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

grr - you have a PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
grr

thnks.

Additional clarification re: topaz comment above:

there was speculation that topaz format is just a font-extended verson of mobi/azw. if so, seems plausible that one might be able to view topaz files on desktop pc mobipocket reader, if one were able to add the kindle PID to the desktop reader.

a)this is highly speculative
b)only useful to those like me who prefer reading on desktop over reading on kindle, and purchase ebooks only available on kindle -- since it doesn't remove drm.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
grr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr View Post
thnks.

Additional clarification re: topaz comment above:

there was speculation that topaz format is just a font-extended verson of mobi/azw. if so, seems plausible that one might be able to view topaz files on desktop pc mobipocket reader, if one were able to add the kindle PID to the desktop reader.

a)this is highly speculative
b)only useful to those like me who prefer reading on desktop over reading on kindle, and purchase ebooks only available on kindle -- since it doesn't remove drm.
sadly, this doesn't work -- thnks to tlrowley, i got a copy of 6.0 and had mobireader desktop pick up the kindle id.

then, i renamed the topaz kindle file to .prc. mobipocket reader thinks file is corrupted. oh well, longshot anyway, i suppose...
Old 10-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I don't think mobi 6.0 can read DRM'd mobi files (let alone TPZ) downloaded from amazon, even if you have registered your Kindle in 6.0. You would have to figure out a way to register your PC's PID with amazon (not gonna happen), to do this.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
if so, seems plausible that one might be able to view topaz files on desktop pc mobipocket reader, if one were able to add the kindle PID to the desktop reader.
The Windows Reader has its own PID for files that it will decrypt/display on the PC, but in addition it keeps a list of other PIDs for attached devices. These extra PIDs are for managing your ebook accounts (each MOBI ebook can have 4 PIDs embedded in it), so the Windows Reader will re-download ebooks with an updated PID list if you add a new device for example.

To read the Topaz files, the PC's own PID would need to be changed to that of the Kindle. If this was possible, it would probably work for AZW files at least but there is no way I am aware of for replacing the PC PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #14
grr

much thanks for the clarification re: additional PID's; I guess using reader 6.0 isn't quite the shortcut I thought it was.

I guess going back to my earlier point (which now seems more appropriate to the mobi software forum), short of imaging and restoring one's hard drive partition, are there critical files or registry entries that allow you to restore your original PID?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...011#post265011
Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
It's not, it uses a completely separate viewer on Kindle and is not related to Mobi in any way.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote