Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
File transfer problem

Hi Aura Experts,
My son has been offered an Aura HD at a nice price, but the owner wants to transfer all his books now in the Auras memory, onto the SD card he has in the unit. so he can transfer them to another brand of machine

Is this all possible please.

Many Thanks.
Ron

Last edited by moofychops; 06-09-2013 at 08:42 AM.
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Not without connecting to a PC. Once connected to the PC, you can copy the files directly to the card or via the PC.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

It may or may not be possible. It depends upon the type of books that the owner had.

Books that don't have DRM can be copied as per davidfor's advice. (Purchased books, or free books from companies like Kobo, will frequently have DRM.)

Books bought from Kobo will have to be redownloaded from Kobo's servers as ePub files, then copied to the owners new device using Adobe Digital Editions. Copying the files from the ereader won't help.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

HI,
Thank you both. Nothing seemed to work as required, so we all gave up. The guy has decided just to sell it to my son. We have factory reset it back to its original state.

In order to prevent any such thing happening again, the lad wants to save all his books on the SD card, and then plug it into the reader. If he loads all his books in the future onto the SD card, would it be easier in the future to remove books etc using just the SD card.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofychops View Post
In order to prevent any such thing happening again, the lad wants to save all his books on the SD card, and then plug it into the reader. If he loads all his books in the future onto the SD card, would it be easier in the future to remove books etc using just the SD card.
I'm trying to figure out what you're asking. If you're trying to remove books to resell the device, it is best to do a factory reset. A factory reset will remove the books and account information (Kobo's and Adobe Digital Editions).

If you're trying to keep a backup of your library, the SD card will only partially work. It will work for books that can be copied onto the Kobo as files. It will not work for books that have to be copied over via Kobo Desktop or Adobe Digital Editions because they want to verify the device that it is being copied onto.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
HI,
Thank you both. Nothing seemed to work as required, so we all gave up. The guy has decided just to sell it to my son. We have factory reset it back to its original state.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
IF you use Calibre to manage your Epubs your good to go.

I have over 3200 epubs on Kobo Glo all working quite nicely, er minus and hiccups in firmware etc. I use Calibre to manage my books set my shelves but only use Calibre to save to pc and copy directly from the pc to sd card. However lots of peeps use caliber to copy directly to the device. I found that too many issues were created when this was done as far as my experience goes. Calibre is of course updated on a weekly basis and seems to be greatly improved. But I only recommending it to tweak your books not to be used to push books to your sd card or kobo device. Regardless of how you decide to do things it is ultimately your call on how you will handle things.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
moofychops
Connoisseur

Hi,
It seems my son wants to sideload all his books (2000 odd) onto an SD card and not into the Auras mTain memory. T
he reason seems to be that as he is careless with all his gadgets and often seems to break them (screens etc).
Thus if this happened to his Aura he could replace it with almost any other ereader that takes epub simply by rescuing the SD card from the damaged device, and putting it into the new one. I think that's it.
Thanks.
Ron
Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Assuming that they are unprotected ePubs, he can copy the books onto an SD card and the Aura will find them. Since there are 2000 books, it will take a while for the Aura to catalogue the books so he should choose a time when he doesn't plan on reading for a while.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Assuming that they are unprotected ePubs, he can copy the books onto an SD card and the Aura will find them. Since there are 2000 books, it will take a while for the Aura to catalogue the books so he should choose a time when he doesn't plan on reading for a while.

it took about under an hour of time here to add my 3200 books to my Kobo glo. I don't expect it to take much more time for your sons books other then it might be a wee bit faster. I always leave mine plugged in

regards

JAck
Old 06-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
moofychops
Connoisseur

Many thanks to you all. My son having read through your postings is a happy bunny at the moment sorting out all his vampire and other 'grotty' books lol.

Ron
Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Many thanks to you all. My son having read through your postings is a happy bunny at the moment sorting out all his vampire and other 'grotty' books lol.

Ron
Well tell him to take a gander at the Notes on how to make shelves using Calibre.

PeterT has some very good points to be made here. And its a lot faster then manually doing it.

Peace

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184
^^^^^^^^
Link to shelf management

regards

Jack