Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I believe someone from the UK was also having a related issue. Not sure if it was the same though.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Were any of you folks having this problem offered the update as part of a regular sync? In the past updates rolled out to North America first and people living elsewhere were not able to get it until the update was " official " for their location.

This still may turn out to be nothing but a coincidence.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It wasn't offered but yes, it was a regular sync. I'm actually kicking myself as I don't sync unless I have bought a new book. Well, The day before yesterday, I ran out of reading material so I bought 2 books and plugged in my KT in order to sync. Presto! You must update Kobo Desktop and then You must update Kobo Touch. It would really be better that they make it optional for a while before forcing you to upgrade so that they can catch and properly deal with bugs.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The developers said early on that people would get the update as part of a sync over WiFi and that it would be a slow roll out. I wonder if whatever prevented updates from being served over USB before they were ready for people in some locations got screwed up. This is wild speculation on my part.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Oh dear, I've got my fingers crossed!!

I had logged into the Kobo desktop, and the upgrade started automatically, before I read this thread. I'm in Australia, the upgrade has finished downloading and syncing, and I've had maybe five minutes of the "Updating" hourglass, so now I'm really anxious for that to finish and the KT to boot up again. :Nervous:

Update:
Well, that was easy!! Phew!! I went from 1.9.17 to 2.0, and it took less than 10 minutes, without a single drama. So whatever has been causing grief for the other Aussies here, it's not an across-the-board thing.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 07-12-2012 at 11:52 AM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
If you are in Australia - don't go near this update.
Now you tell me...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Folks having this problem should look at the post from Sameer here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=212
Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Now you tell me...

Tier 2 contacted me!

Another factory reset (third now), then connect to the desktop app and sync.

Still failing.

I've cc'ed Sameer in on my reply as per his request in the post linked above.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post

Tier 2 contacted me!

Another factory reset (third now), then connect to the desktop app and sync.

Still failing.

I've cc'ed Sameer in on my reply as per his request in the post linked above.
Was the Tier 2 suggestion worded EXACTLY as follows:
Quote:
Hi (Enter Name),

thank you for contacting our Tier 2 Support Team and thank you for your patience and efforts thus far. We are sorry to hear that your device is still unresponsive. Could we please get you to try the following:

1. Press the home button and while holding perform the pinhole reset by carefully placing an unfolded paperclip inside the small hole in the back. Press till you hear a click.
2. Connect the device to desktop app
3. Perform sync as per normal

Please let us know how this goes.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

the Kobo Team
I got 2 emails from them, both EXACTLY the same. So, it looks like Kobo really doesn't care about this issue. So, it seems the only hope we have is that Sameer is able to convince them that this issue is real.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #25
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
TongueTied: couldn't have said it better myself! I'm in the market for at least two more ereaders over the next three months... and how this is handled will bear on those decisions.
Unfortunately here in Aus our local options are Kobo, Kindle or Sony. Sad but we don't have readily access to places such as newegg (without jumping through hoops and paying huge shipping costs) to buy other ereaders from.

This firmware issue has made me wonder what would happen if this update bricked an out-of-warranty Kobo? Realistically the updates are forced upon you when you sync (no different to Amazon), so if your reader gets bricked....would Kobo offer support or just say "Sorry, out of warranty....next please"?

Argh they are so close it is frustrating. Off topic but the wifi I have....if I could set text to justified (without having to edit the epub and side load) it would be a perfect device for me. And the touch, if one could unbox it and set it up without a PC (not everyone runs Windows/OSX)....would grab one in a heartbeat (prefer the feel and form factor over the Kindle Touch).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

My reply was exactly the same, yes.

I got a response, presumably after cc'ing my reply to tier 2 support to Sameer, from a Klaas at Kobo Executive Customer Care. This appeared rather generic too and covered the same steps again but worded differently. It did ask for some more information - OS being used for example - but basically left it as "We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience and understanding while we resolve this. We are working on a new version of Kobo desktop, which will fix this isolated issue, and we will make it available as soon as possible."

Interesting definition of 'isolated' being used !
Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
RickyB
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
...This firmware issue has made me wonder what would happen if this update bricked an out-of-warranty Kobo? Realistically the updates are forced upon you when you sync (no different to Amazon), so if your reader gets bricked....would Kobo offer support or just say "Sorry, out of warranty....next please"?
Excellent question about the warranty. My touch is eight months old, still in warranty I'd assume. But next time...

It's also at the crux of this issue in this thread: you can factory reset as Kobo Support advise but to get your books the broken update is forced on you again.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
This firmware issue has made me wonder what would happen if this update bricked an out-of-warranty Kobo? Realistically the updates are forced upon you when you sync (no different to Amazon), so if your reader gets bricked....would Kobo offer support or just say "Sorry, out of warranty....next please"?

This worries me as well. I have 2 Kobos the update was successful on mine but I'm hesitating to update my daughters. She's not having any problems with 1.9.17 so why run the risk? Although as her Kobo is still in warranty (just) maybe I should get it as up to date as possible before signing out of the Kobo Desktop forever?

I never use the Desktop so it wouldn't be any loss... it's just very frustrating knowing that you are risking a brick every time you update. The new features all sound so appealing but the risk of a non functioning kobo and a non responsive customer service is all too real.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #29
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
RickyB you can get your books by downloading the epub version using ADE.

I never use the Kobo Desktop as I purchased my original Kobo from Borders and so started using the Borders Desktop. My first Touch came from the US before it was available in Australia (in the middle of the Borders closure so there was no distributer for a while) and my second Touch came from JB Hifi.

It's way too confusing using different apps for different readers so I download the epubs into ADE and to Calibre. The good news is with assistance from Apprentice Alf I can buy my books from anywhere I want. I still buy most of them from Kobo as with the frequent discount codes I find they are normally cheaper than Amazon but occasionally (less than 10% of the time) Amazon gets my money.

This also means that I am not tied to Kobo - although currently it is my reader of choice who knows what I will be reading on next year.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
RickyB
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice HarleyB. Nearly all my books are sideloaded so I will not even bother setting it up with the Kobo account, well not until 2.0.1 comes out.

Will explore ADE option for the Kobo books I do have. I use Calibre.

Did my fifth factory reset and I'm back with firmware 1.9.11! At least it works...