Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #136
Agentbolt
Agentbolt began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I definitely did make sure to use the correct zip inside the zip, but no dice. In fact, the situation has gone a bit pear shaped, after trying the Home and Rotate buttons instead of Menu and Rotate, the Edge is now stuck in a boot loop. I'm sure Home and Rotate was a typo panhandler, but I figured I'd try it anyway, and I really sincerely doubt doing so has anything to do with the issue regardless.

The boot loop problem I've googled and there doesn't appear to be a known solution. The PE powers up, gets to the 4 dots screen, two of the dots fill up, and it reboots. I can't even get to the Android screen to attempt a factory reset. I've tried the reset button and formatting a USB stick to try to get the update function to work while booting, but still no dice. I'm currently downloading the Dingo golden update to see if that will work, but I'm not exactly sanguine.

All in all, I've enjoyed the edge, but if it's dead for good that's not going to be end of the world. I've got an HP touchpad I got during the firesale that's running Android and could just grab a Nook touch or something to have the capabilities of my old nook. Still a shame I couldn't get it to behave though.
Agentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #137
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
can you post the log from the stick. if everthing fails, serial method is the last hope.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #138
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentbolt View Post
I definitely did make sure to use the correct zip inside the zip, but no dice. In fact, the situation has gone a bit pear shaped, after trying the Home and Rotate buttons instead of Menu and Rotate, the Edge is now stuck in a boot loop. I'm sure Home and Rotate was a typo panhandler, but I figured I'd try it anyway, and I really sincerely doubt doing so has anything to do with the issue regardless.

The boot loop problem I've googled and there doesn't appear to be a known solution. The PE powers up, gets to the 4 dots screen, two of the dots fill up, and it reboots. I can't even get to the Android screen to attempt a factory reset. I've tried the reset button and formatting a USB stick to try to get the update function to work while booting, but still no dice. I'm currently downloading the Dingo golden update to see if that will work, but I'm not exactly sanguine.
If you never got to the "Updating software screen", I doubt any golden update will work. Most likely you are having a problem similar to what vicinc had, bad blocks in the "maintenance" ramdisk so the updating system cannot boot up.

I would hazard that the boot loop your device is stuck in is because of that (home and rotate seem to trigger a "back to factory status" reset which also uses the maintenance system).

Most likely, the only way to solve the issue is to attach the serial cable and use u-boot to mark bad blocks as bad (just as vicinc had to do in his device, check for the thread).
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #139
hbabygirl
hbabygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Entourage PE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentbolt View Post
Having issues doing the Allmine Golden update. I have a pocket edge with stock Ermine (whatever version Entourage released before going belly up) and I'm attempting to follow the directions but I can't even get to the first step. I've tried both the MicroUSB drive that my EDGE has its library on (I'm assuming it's okay to use that one instead of needing a whole different one) with the update.zip file on the root, as well as two different USB sticks. No matter what I do, I cannot get the PE to boot into the "updating software" splash screen. It simply starts as usual. I've tried holding down Menu + Rotate for 10 seconds before even hitting the power button, pushing all three at the same time, holding menu + rotate for like a minute, I can't think of anything else.

I'm sure there's something unbelievably stupid I'm doing, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to make the thing even attempt to update?
Agentbolt and any others who are having trouble getting their pe to flash to the upgrade screen. The first time I attempted it, I discovered it was not enough to simply rename the. zip files on my PC. I had to re-rename them on the USB drive while it was mounted to the pe, because I discovered that the. zip files were both named gapps.zip.zip and update.zip.zip before I did this.

So if you are able to get back to the point where you are ready to do any update again, hopefully this will help you.

-Laura

Last edited by hbabygirl; 01-04-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: misspelled user name
hbabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #140
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbabygirl View Post
Agentbolt and any others who are having trouble getting their pe to flash to the upgrade screen. The first time I attempted it, I discovered it was not enough to simply rename the. zip files on my PC. I had to re-rename them on the USB drive while it was mounted to the pe, because I discovered that the. zip files were both named gapps.zip.zip and update.zip.zip before I did this.

So if you are able to get back to the point where you are ready to do any update again, hopefully this will help you.

-Laura
LOL that is because (assuming you are using windows) your file explorer setting is set to not show the file extentions that is why your file gets the zip.zip ending. Set it such that you can see the extension or just do not add the .zip when renaming the file. You can tell if it has the zip extension already because the icon will be a zipped folder.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #141
anniesahu1
anniesahu1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Works PERFECTLY fine for me! Thanks a lot!
anniesahu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #142
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
Hi Pablob, hi guys, thanks for all the hard work!

I just updated mine.. it seems to be working just fine.
Had problems with the libariy too. Now I import the books manually. They are not so many.

Greetings from Sweden
Yivi
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #143
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

glad is working fine for people.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #144
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
thanks for this. I was wondering the improvements in this install would make the method of "moving apps to sd" obsolete?
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #145
vicinc
Guru

yes/ this version of the rom has ample storage space.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #146
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Device: EnTourage Edge Pocket
Hello dear Pablob,
My apologies for this untimely reply! My time has been capitalized by seemingly unending commitments of late. Once you explained your RC3 I clearly saw no concerns to be had.
But I am not even able to reach that point. Whether I attempt with the USB or card, I cannot get my PE to splash update. It just signs on oblivious to my golden ermine update action. There is no double zip extension, I'm not caught in a loop, so what gives??
Please help enlighten this seeming benighted PE owner.
Chevalier529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #147
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Have you tried using different USB sticks? Remember all USB sticks are not created equal - some work, some don't. Also keep the size of the stick down to about 4 GB and make sure it is formatted FAT32.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #148
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
You have unzipped the RC3update file? It contains instructions as well as the update.zip file. (Sorry if you know that already!)
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #149
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Have you tried using different USB sticks? Remember all USB sticks are not created equal - some work, some don't. Also keep the size of the stick down to about 4 GB and make sure it is formatted FAT32.
Yes, I've tried all those things and have read the instructions multiple times. Though the only thing is the first USB stick tried was a 2G. I will buy a third stick--a second f
4G and try...again. Thnx for troubling shooting help.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #150
Chevalier529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier529 View Post
Yes, I've tried all those things and have read the instructions multiple times. Though the only thing is the first USB stick tried was a 2G. I will buy a third stick--a second f
4G and try...again. Thnx for troubling shooting help.
I'm horrified! That lonely "f" was NOT a swear word. It was a misdeed deletion for the word "four." just wanted to clarify I'm a lady.