Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Libraries (Overdrive) are slowing down

I'm finding some of the libraries I use to borrow eBooks have been slowing down today. I know it's due to all the new readers given as gifts. But it means the lines are going to be even longer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I know! Isn't it just terrible the way ebook reading and e-lending have been embraced? You think you have something all to yourself and then all the cool kids catch wind of it and ruin it—turn it all common and stuff.

Hell, I remember when I was the only one on my street that even knew what a book was; now everybody I know seems to have jumped on the bandwagon with this whole reading thingamabob.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Time to move on to the next cutting-edge, undiscovered, nerd device.

Of course there is the up side to being in with the cool kids and not being stared at because you have an e-reader.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The Philadelphia Free Library was very slow today. It just happened that two books that I had put a hold on weeks ago became available as well. I am not sure what explains this. A lot of new people received ebook reading devices for Christmas? Given the process for obtaining access to that library it would seem far to soon for that to be the cause.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I am not sure what explains this. A lot of new people received ebook reading devices for Christmas? Given the process for obtaining access to that library it would seem far to soon for that to be the cause.
Well, some folk already have their library cards. And I wouldn't be surprised that some got one last week in advance, knowing what Santa was bringing them.

Then there are folks like my co-worker who bought herself a nook tablet a couple of weeks ago, but knew she wouldn't have time to play with it until after Christmas.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm finding some of the libraries I use to borrow eBooks have been slowing down today. I know it's due to all the new readers given as gifts. But it means the lines are going to be even longer.
Yep, seems like all of the books I want from my library have wait lists. While it is slightly annoying, it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know! Isn't it just terrible the way ebook reading and e-lending have been embraced? You think you have something all to yourself and then all the cool kids catch wind of it and ruin it—turn it all common and stuff.

Hell, I remember when I was the only one on my street that even knew what a book was; now everybody I know seems to have jumped on the bandwagon with this whole reading thingamabob.
Be sure to yell at the kids to get off your lawn!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Be sure to yell at the kids to get off your lawn!
Hey, watch it, that's my tagline!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Philadelphia Free Library was very slow today. It just happened that two books that I had put a hold on weeks ago became available as well. I am not sure what explains this. A lot of new people received ebook reading devices for Christmas? Given the process for obtaining access to that library it would seem far to soon for that to be the cause.
My guess is that a lot of patrons that didn't use Overdrive now have a reader and have been accessing the library. I don't see this getting any better.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've noticed that when looking at new eBooks and selecting just those that are available, the only ones that usually come up are those that are the WTF? Why did the library spend money on this? eBooks.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've noticed that when looking at new eBooks and selecting just those that are available, the only ones that usually come up are those that are the WTF? Why did the library spend money on this? eBooks.
Pray tell, what are your criteria? My library obtains many ebooks I have no interest whatsoever in reading, but I accept there are others who might appreciate those. If you mean "deadly dull" nonfiction work, I actually request those!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Pray tell, what are your criteria? My library obtains many ebooks I have no interest whatsoever in reading, but I accept there are others who might appreciate those. If you mean "deadly dull" nonfiction work, I actually request those!
I mean insipid deadly dull.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
The Philadelphia Free Library was very slow today.
I just put in a reserve there and am now number 12 in line for an American history book published in July 2010. But I'm more than OK with that. It will cause less patient readers to buy the book, and continuing good sales figures are the one thing that will make publishers willing to deal with Overdrive.

My main concern remains the borrowing period. Philadelphia gives 21 days, which makes it fairly likely I will have time to finish the book when I get the email, as compared to the totally inadequate 14 day suburban borrowing period. Waiting, unlike insufficient reading time, is fine.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #13
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Yes, the website response time is dreadfully slow today. But so far, I have no complaints about ebook availability really. I've seen the total number of ebooks available through the local library consortium jump up by 400 in the last month. I don't know if that's noraml growth for them or some type of end-of-year infusion of funding. While there was a wait list for some of the books I wanted, they became available for checkout pretty quickly after I put them on hold. Sooner than I would have expected based on the wait-list numbers. I also have a pretty long wishlist and there's at least a dozen available for checkout right now if I wanted.

Hopefully, Overdrive will beef up the servers to keep up with the growth. Other than that, I'm a happy camper right now.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Why didn't the great unwashed buy skis or skateboards for Christmas instead of e-readers? (says she who only bought 2 new e-readers for Christmas - but I also bought a skateboard so you can't completely blame me)

I have just been trying to give my daughter an Overdrive lesson on our local library's site - but gave up as it was so slow. We'll try again in a few days when hopefully all the newbies have given up
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
What can we do to make it uncool again?

Quote:
Hell, I remember when I was the only one on my street that even knew what a book was
Ah, shades of Monty Python's 4 Yorkshire men. Did you drink tea out of a rolled up piece of newspaper? (if you're not a Monty Python fan you will have no idea what I'm talking about!)
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote