Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
The proper aspect ratio is the ratio of what I can see by just moving my eyes (and not my head); both side to side and up and down.
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon spent quite a bit of time and money optimizing their display screen for reading...including finding what they considered an optimal aspect ratio.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac9ts View Post
The proper aspect ratio is the ratio of what I can see by just moving my eyes (and not my head); both side to side and up and down.
Ah so we need to have you as the standard reference.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Amazon spent quite a bit of time and money optimizing their display screen for reading...including finding what they considered an optimal aspect ratio.
And so Kindle is the one any only?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And so Kindle is the one any only?
For reading? I think they nailed it. YMMV (and in your case, obviously)
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
kennyc

I many cases apparently. I'd argue there is no "optimal" aspect ratio for reading as is clearly evidenced by the array of print books available.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
kjk

Quote:
I many cases apparently. I'd argue there is no "optimal" aspect ratio for reading as is clearly evidenced by the array of print books available.
Sure, but how many of them are 16x9?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
The researcher forecasts that Apple will ship nearly 48 million iPads worldwide this year and more than 138.5 million in 2015, though its market share will drop from 69% to 47.7%.
Quote:
Android is expected to power 13.9 million tablets this year, grabbing 20% of the market. That number is expected to swell to 113.5 million Android-based tablets by 2015, snagging about 38% of the market.
Quote:
Gartner expects the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, which goes on sale next week, will grab 10% of the market by 2015, shipping 29.5 million units. No. 4 Hewlett-Packard’s WebOS-based tablets are forecast to take 3% of the market by 2015, shipping 8.9 million units that year.

Worse off is Microsoft, which didn’t even make the report.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...&dlvrit=110940
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
ChangeWave says that its own research shows demand for the tablet is some 40% higher than the original iPad, lending credence to the increasing chorus of analysts who expectApple to announce some blockbuster sales numbers in its quarterly conference call April 20.
Quote:
what’s driving this growth? Apple has obviously been able to cultivate the feelings of “gotta have it” among a large subsection of consumers. Whereas the first iPad seemed to appeal initially mostly to the early adopter set, I can tell you several of my friends who I wouldn’t have expected to be in the market for a tablet have either already bought the device or have already planned to.
http://technologizer.com/2011/04/12/...over-original/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #25
kennyc

Quote:
Sure, but how many of them are 16x9?
That's not the point, is it?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Interesting times, eh?

Thanks for those.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Depending on circumstances sometimes I read in landscape mode and other times I read in portrait mode. So which is better 9X16 or 16X9?

Within limits, the aspect ratio of a reader is so subjective that saying one is better than another (for reading) is beyond ridiculous; and someone saying one is better than another for me is beyond arrogance.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #28
kjk

Quote:
Depending on circumstances sometimes I read in landscape mode and other times I read in portrait mode. So which is better 9X16 or 16X9?

Within limits, the aspect ratio of a reader is so subjective that saying one is better than another (for reading) is beyond ridiculous; and someone saying one is better than another for me is beyond arrogance.
Well sure, everything is subjective in the end. But do you doubt for a minute that Motorola and Samsung optimized for HD video by going with 16x9, while the Kindle and Nook optimized for reading by going with 4:3 (or 3:4)? Whereas the color Nook purposely went to 16x9 to differentiate it from being a pure reading device? And Apple focused more on the portrait aspect of browsing/reading as well for the iPad, hence its 4:3 ratio?

Or do you think those were purely subjective decisions? I think they were carefully designed and optimized based on what they saw their broadest usage models would be, and that things like aspect ratio are anything but subjective in design.

That doesn't mean you personally can't prefer one or the other. I just don't buy the everything within limits is subjective line as an excuse for poor (or good) design.

Last edited by kjk; 04-12-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Well sure, everything is subjective in the end. But do you doubt for a minute that.... while the Kindle and Nook optimized for reading by going with 4:3? .... And Apple focused more on the portrait aspect of browsing/reading as well for the iPad, hence its 4:3 ratio?

... I think they were carefully designed and optimized based on what they saw their broadest usage models would be, and that things like aspect ratio are anything but subjective in design.
No, I don't think so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standar...ion_television
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #30
kjk

Quote:
What don't you think so?