Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #106
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
no, she's just very good at coercing and bartering karma points.
Fixed.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #107
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Fixed.
excuse me?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #108
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You are so correct. How about just one format? So that no matter which device you have, you can download books from any store or site?

Or would that make too much sense?
the folks making MP3 players got it together, why is it so hard for ebook makers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Fixed.
I didn't find that amusing a'tall
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #109
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
no, she's just very good at, and professionally qualified to sort out squabbles amongst kindergartners
Exuse me?

It was my message that triggered desertgrandma's appeal to stay on topic. Discussing differences between pbook dictionary and one integrated into the modern electronic reader on this particular thread of discussion might be seen as off-topic, but it hardly qualifies as "squabble".
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #110
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AAARRRGGHHH.............(RUNS OFF INTO THE HILLS)..........
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #111
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Exuse me?

It was my message that triggered desertgrandma's appeal to stay on topic. Discussing differences between pbook dictionary and one integrated into the modern electronic reader on this particular thread of discussion might be seen as off-topic, but it hardly qualifies as "squabble".
calm down. my comment was directed towards someone who had made a rather snide remark

Quote:
AAARRRGGHHH.............(RUNS OFF INTO THE HILLS)..........
*yanks DG back* no ya' don't sistuh... not that easy!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #112
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
calm down. my comment was directed towards someone who had made a rather snide remark
I am calm. "Kindergarteners" qualifies as "name calling", and you are out of line.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #113
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
I am calm. "Kindergarteners" qualifies as "name calling", and you are out of line.
well neener f**king neener to you

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-26-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #114
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
You are so correct. How about just one format? So that no matter which device you have, you can download books from any store or site?

Or would that make too much sense?
One format for all (text based, non graphics) fiction, maybe. One format for all fiction and nonfiction, no. For example, CBR and CBZ work just fine in their own niche. There is no need to replace them with Epub.

Think about paper books. Can mass market paperbacks replace magazines? Can graphic novels replace encyclopedias? Heck, fiction alone has 3 paper formats: hardback, trade & mass market paperback (and none of the formats have killed off the other two).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #115
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
One format for all (text based, non graphics) fiction, maybe. One format for all fiction and nonfiction, no. For example, CBR and CBZ work just fine in their own niche. There is no need to replace them with Epub.

Think about paper books. Can mass market paperbacks replace magazines? Can graphic novels replace encyclopedias? Heck, fiction alone has 3 paper formats: hardback, trade & mass market paperback (and none of the formats have killed off the other two).
yeah, but we don't need extra reading devices (glasses, goggles, lenses, what have you) for all those formats
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #116
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
yeah, but we don't need extra reading devices (glasses, goggles, lenses, what have you) for all those formats
Actually, I would say that the parallel is between screen geometry (of an ebook reader) and book dimensions. Most of the book types I listed have different dimensions. I think they would each benefit from an appropriate screen size. At the very least, comics look best on a large color screen, and you don't need color for most other fiction.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #117
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

this is very true.

I may not be wrapping my head around this correctly vis-a-vis understanding, but I cannot understand why they cannot become as universal as MP3s. I had a sony which I loathed, got a Zen which I loved, then unfortunately washed, then got a Zune which has much more function than I need. the big deal here is... I could put all of my music on all three of them
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #118
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
I cannot understand why they cannot become as universal as MP3s. I had a sony which I loathed, got a Zen which I loved, then unfortunately washed, then got a Zune which has much more function than I need.
How funny, I got a Sony, it's gorgeous but doesn't read Audible files and one day I spent 2 hours trying to load new music on it. Instead I went online and bought a Zen. I loved that one right up until I got a Sansa Clip. Now, that's my fav. The clip broke after a year. I'm surprised it took that long, but I alway stick BodyGlove universal clips on my mp3 players anyway, so it's the same clip I glued to the rest of them. Works like a charm!

I use it for audio books & reading music along with reg. music for working out and such.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #119
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Exuse me?

Nope. Actually, I never referred to you at all. Usually I quote a message I want to respond to.

kindlekitten was not out of line. When calling someone a 'kindergartener' is name calling, we've gone WAY too pc.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #120
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
How funny, I got a Sony, it's gorgeous but doesn't read Audible files and one day I spent 2 hours trying to load new music on it. Instead I went online and bought a Zen. I loved that one right up until I got a Sansa Clip. Now, that's my fav. The clip broke after a year. I'm surprised it took that long, but I alway stick BodyGlove universal clips on my mp3 players anyway, so it's the same clip I glued to the rest of them. Works like a charm!

I use it for audio books & reading music along with reg. music for working out and such.
*sigh* the Zen was great. mine had a metal housing. I was working a lot of construction at the time and I would set it up with speakers. it got dropped, kicked across floors and thouroughly abused. just couldn't stand up to a washing machine. I couldn't find another metal cased one so went with the Zune