Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #76
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, my apologies if the fact that I don't need a dictionary to hand to read a book insults anybody (which seemingly it does).
Your ability to read and infer is not at all insulting; you're decision to sneer at and degrade those who prefer to use a dictionary is however.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #77
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We've kind covered answering Bilbo's post, and I don't see any further use in dragging it up.

Lets move on and stick to the original topic, okay?
Serious question here (as in I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, I'm actually curious): Are you a moderator now? If so, congratulations!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #78
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool

I thought about ordering the nook, partially coolness, and partially nostalgia - I bought my first ebook reader, the rocket ebook, from B&N back in the late 90s.

Truth be told though, my PRS505 still meets all my needs. If the nook offered anything truly useful for me lacking on the sony - like proper category & folder support - I'd be all over it. Otherwise it's kind of like my feeling about the PRS700 which I sent back - not a sufficient usability upgrade for either the money or the decrease in image quality. (I feel that way about the 600 too).

The PreOrder game is even worse since it seems PreOrders are often NOT shipped first (why overextend on a sure thing?) and instead the shops get them first to build up retail excitement.

That said, I have to say while I agree with the OPs rationale, his post read less like a serious set of reservations and more like a passive rant that the B&N Discount Clubbers aren't being treated with the respect they obviously deserve.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #79
Pappy_01
Pappy_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs600 or Nook
Quote:
No, sorry, I don't read pulp fiction. I read a wide variety of books and that includes many non-fiction books about topics I have had no previous experience of. I think that I have had to use a dictionary about twice in the last three years. Even if there is a word that I am not entirely familiar with, it's usually pretty easy to infer it's meaning from context. For example, I came across the word 'irrefragable' in a Richard Dawkins book last week. Although I had never seen it before, it was pretty obvious from context that it must mean something like 'impossible to argue with' (and no, I still haven't looked it up).

Absolutely no idea what your Ford/Chevy comment is meant to mean (and no, a dictionary wouldn't help) - you'll have to make your insults much less regionally specific if you want them to really hit home.
I guess one word that you are familiar with is narcissist!
Pappy_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #80
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Serious question here (as in I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, I'm actually curious): Are you a moderator now? If so, congratulations!
No, and I apologize if it seems like I am trying to act like one.

Just wanting to get past the unfortunate remarks, and back to the original post.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #81
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
That said, I have to say while I agree with the OPs rationale, his post read less like a serious set of reservations and more like a passive rant that the B&N Discount Clubbers aren't being treated with the respect they obviously deserve.
I am the original poster and I do think clubbers deserve a certain amount of respect. Clubbers -- whether they be Fictionwise, B&N, or Amazon club members) -- have demonstrated a loyalty to the particular vendor and tend to spend more money than non-club members at the store. That's the reason for the clubs to begin with -- to tie closer the buyer to the seller. And so they should be rewarded for past loyalty and encouraged to give future loyalty by distinguishing them from the non-club members. B&N fails to do so in regards to either the Nook or its ebook store.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #82
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Have you noticed that there is no mention of the Nook at Ereader.com or fictionwise.com sites?

This makes me wonder why, since both are Barnes & Noble Companies...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #83
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Have you noticed that there is no mention of the Nook at Ereader.com or fictionwise.com sites?

This makes me wonder why, since both are Barnes & Noble Companies...
I doubt they'll be around long term.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fictionwise became some kind of publishing/distributing arm and handled only the Multiformat books or something. Note that some places they're calling eReader a "legacy format". Since B&N is going to be switching to ePub for their store supposedly it makes one wonder about the long term for eReader.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #84
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I doubt they'll be around long term.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fictionwise became some kind of publishing/distributing arm and handled only the Multiformat books or something. Note that some places they're calling eReader a "legacy format". Since B&N is going to be switching to ePub for their store supposedly it makes one wonder about the long term for eReader.
I've seen this, too. It makes me sad, but I suppose this is how progress works. Peanut markup language is getting pretty long in the tooth, and moving everyone to an open standard (regardless of DRM scheme) seems like the smart move. I just hope that B&N allow us eReader legacy folks to either convert our purchases or continue reading them on future devices. More than a few of my eReader-formatted books are ones I read over and over again. I'd hate to buy them a fourth time (first in paper, then for eReader, then for Sony), but I suppose that's the risk you take with these things.

I did preorder a nook, mostly so I could get some sort of guarantee to receive one. I remember when the Kindle came out, how quickly they sold out and the months people were waiting for theirs. This device is the one I wanted 5 or 6 years ago, when I first heard of e-ink. Everybody has different needs, and this one fits mine pretty much to a T. I can, however, fully understand those who say it *doesn't* fit their needs. "One size fits all" doesn't exist.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #85
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I did preorder a nook, mostly so I could get some sort of guarantee to receive one. I remember when the Kindle came out, how quickly they sold out and the months people were waiting for theirs. This device is the one I wanted 5 or 6 years ago, when I first heard of e-ink. Everybody has different needs, and this one fits mine pretty much to a T. I can, however, fully understand those who say it *doesn't* fit their needs. "One size fits all" doesn't exist.
Personally, if I wasn't awash in other readers, I'd probably go for the nook too. It looks like a nice marriage of the features of the sony and the kindle, with a bit of iPhone action thrown in.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
No, and I apologize if it seems like I am trying to act like one.

Just wanting to get past the unfortunate remarks, and back to the original post.
Actually, this should be a self-policing community. The moderators can't be everywhere. This site just has to much traffic for that these days. And membership is growing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #87
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I thought about it. And this morning I received an e-mail from B&N encouraging me to preorder. I even went to the website and put one in the cart. But then I removed it and moved on.

Other than getting free overnight shipping and being first in the neighborhood, what's the advantage to preordering? None that I can see.

I'm a member of the B&N discount club -- have been for years -- and I buy several thousand dollars worth of hardcovers every year. But the discount is not applicable to the Nook. So no price reason to preorder.

Well perhaps I could save on accessories, like buying a missing cover or getting an extended warranty. Nope -- discount membership doesn't work there either.

Well it would be nice to get the Nook early as I like to shop at B&N. But what if I get it and find that my Sony 505 is far better for me or that I really should buy the iRex 800 or the Sony Daily Edition? Yes, I can return the Nook within 14 days (even Amazon gives you 30 days) but it will cost me at least $38.85 (15%) in restocking fee and B&N reserves the right to charge me for the "free" overnight shipping. And what about the cover -- I'm afraid to ask. I'm not willing to pay $40+ to see whether I like the device just so I can be first in the neighborhood.

So no preorder. I'll wait to see the unit in the store and if i like it, I'll buy one then. The price will be the same (maybe B&N will change its mind about the discount) so there is nothing to lose by waiting.

B&N should have made it better for club members.
I did'nt preorder either- BN is selling them instore Nov 30
I want to try before I buy
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #88
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Thanks for that helpful addition to the discussion.
Yes, thank you! Karma for you Daffy.

It amazes me that some people feel so insecure in who they are that they go through life looking for faults in others to make themselves feel superior. If you need to put someone else down, especially for something so silly as using a dictionary, you have some serious social issues and perhaps need to put your reader down and go experience the real world.

Knowing every word in Webster's does not make you superior, it may just show how you hide from the world by hiding behind your books so that you can go through life telling everyone else how superior that you believe yourself to be.

If this is your attitude on a forum, I can only imagine how poorly you are received in real life. With all of the books that you read, how could you have missed Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People?
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #89
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Keep in mind that English isn't the native language for all e-reader users.
Nor have they all been reading for over 20 years. My sister is considering getting my 9 yr. old nephew an ereader because he loves video games but also loves to read and she wants to encourage the latter by giving him the gift of books in an electronic gadget.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #90
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Deleted

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-25-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote