Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #19396
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Indeed. I also enjoyed NOS4A2 as well as Horns. His Locke & Key graphic novels are good, too.

Here is a cool NYT article about the King family business:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/ma...anted=all&_r=0
Thanks for that link. As they were growing up, his children read to him, and now there are five writers in the family. What a novel (and obviously successful in his case) approach to child rearing.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #19397
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks for that link. As they were growing up, his children read to him, and now there are five writers in the family. What a novel (and obviously successful in his case) approach to child rearing.
I see what you did there.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #19398
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see what you did there.
I can't slip anything by you, can I?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #19399
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Continuing The Outskirter's Secret, and very much enjoying it. It's cutting in to the time for my other active eBook, The Autistic Brain, by Temple Grandin.
Finished The Outskirter's Secret. Wow. Just Wow! I'd forgotten how powerful this series gets. There's a sequence towards the end of this book that is just incredible.

Well, no question, straight on to the next one! The Lost Steersman.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #19400
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Divergent on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Divergent_hq.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	120943  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #19401
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Finished Crocodile on the Sandbank, by Elizabeth Peters, and enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to more in the series...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
...Now, thanks to you lot, I can't decide what to read next. Will it be Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters or Dover Beach by Richard Bowker? You people make too many great recos and I can't decide...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Crocodile on the Sandbank's destination is completely predictable, but the journey is a lot of fun. I just finished the sequel, The Curse of the Pharaohs, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, Elizabeth Peters (real name: Barbara Mertz) died 6 months ago, but left a wealth of enjoyable reading material to her fans. I hope to read all 19 of the Amelia Peabody novels eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedotgreen View Post
I finished Crocodile on the Sandbank. I loved it and will continue with the series very soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters and it was an excellent read...
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedotgreen View Post
Last week I read the second Amelia Peabody book, The Curse of the Pharaohs. I liked it more than the first book and the ending wasn't quite as predictable as with Crocodile on the Sandbank (not that I'm complaining it's nice not to worry about everyone dying for a change)...
Quote:
Glad to hear that. I've got the second one queued up to read, just trying to decide if I'll listen to it, or read it on my Paperwhite. Probably listen, since I have several other ebooks lined up on the PW, and nothing more interesting to want to listen to. Unfortunately, this isn't a book that supports WhisperSync for Voice, since I have an omnibus edition of the first four Amelia Peabody books, not individual ones. Well, and I bought it from Kobo with a 50% off coupon. Gee, wonder why Amazon's Whispersync isn't working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality for a bit then (because of all the folks inhabiting this thread discussing it favorably) I began reading The Martian by Andy Weir and I am finding it quite interesting so far.
Quote:
Taking a look at Harry Potter and the Sun Source as a Kindle compatible (or ePub) file!
Quote:
Checked out and began reading Harry Potter and the Sun Source. Now I'm reading 3 books at once!
Quote:
Was quite pleased with Harry Potter and the Sun Source. What an interesting alternate universe the author has created. Now back to The Martian.
Enjoyed The Martian a lot, it really should be adapted for a movie. Now next, in response to all the folks who've been highly favorably commenting on to Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters, I'll give it a look-see.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-28-2014 at 05:53 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #19402
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer.
Which was fun as expected. Not too difficult to spot the murderer, but a pleasant journey. Although perhaps the characters are a little too exaggerated in places.

Next up: Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone. From my Kobo spree at the start of the month. It was recommended in this thread, and at 90% off I couldn't resist getting it. I hope I like it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #19403
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

Next up: Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone. From my Kobo spree at the start of the month. It was recommended in this thread, and at 90% off I couldn't resist getting it. I hope I like it.
Three Parts Dead is currently on sale for $2.99 at most retailers.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #19404
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finally finished The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan. Big, big book, though I managed to finish it in under 2 weeks! Really enjoying the Wheel of Time re-read.

I'm already about 30% into Dark Witch by Nora Roberts. It's good so far.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #19405
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Gravity

Quote:
Enjoyed The Martian a lot, it really should be adapted for a movie. Now next, in response to all the folks who've been highly favorably commenting on to Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters, I'll give it a look-see.
Wow!! Just finished watching Gravity, what a great movie!! Its similarity to The Martian is mostly in that its protaginist is so very lonely and cut off and has to deal with the situation on her [his] own. Again I hope that The Martian gets adapted into a movie and is made with the craft that Gravity was.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:20 AM   #19406
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Wow!! Just finished watching Gravity, what a great movie!! Its similarity to The Martian is mostly in that its protaginist is so very lonely and cut off and has to deal with the situation on her [his] own. Again I hope that The Martian gets adapted into a movie and is made with the craft that Gravity was.

I read that 20th Century Fox has optioned the film rights.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #19407
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm having fun reading Wendy Knits by Wendy Johnson. Nothing new under the sun, but it's nice to see how her knitting evolved little by little.

Last edited by samhy; 03-30-2014 at 03:26 PM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #19408
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It was rightly part of the 5 star thread. An excellent fantasy, which I greatly enjoyed. That does mean that Max Gladstone's other book is now on my wishlist, but at around £10 (£12.59 at Kobo) it will have to wait for a price drop or a very good coupon.

Next up: Asimov's SF, June 2014 which just came out a day or two ago.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #19409
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am currently rereading Once A Hero by Elizabeth Moon. It is part of the Familias Regnant universe Series. Is the fourth and by a hair the best in the series. Well written military science fiction with a strong female protagonist. I first read the series in PB and am reading them all as eBooks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #19410
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I read that 20th Century Fox has optioned the film rights.
The only information I found on that is nearly a year old; May 2013 to be more exact. It appears Drew Goddard, who directed The Cabin in the Woods, is in talks to take the helm of 20th Century Fox's big screen adaptation of Andy Weir's book. It also appears that The Martian started its life as an e-book. Interesting.

In keeping with the outer space theme, the book I'm currently reading is True History or Trips to the Moon by Lucian of Samosata (125CE-180CE). The author, who admitted he stretched the truth from time to time, nevertheless claimed this was a true history of his personal voyages to the moon as witnessed by himself, as opposed to those invented histories by other writers who he disparages as having relied on second hand stories or their own imaginations. Homer, by the way, who was but one of many famous personages and gods he met during his travels, not only had excellent eyesight, but was also the author of even his spurious works. Who knew?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-30-2014 at 11:00 AM.