Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
lesleyd
lesleyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help with Email function for a Kindle

I've posted this over at Amazon's Kindle forum but I've only gotten a suggestion to post my question here so far:

I'm just learning how to use Calibre on my K2.

I have put username@kindle.com as my send to email.
I have put my normal Amazon registered email as my send from for outgoing email which is via sbcglobal.net

This is not working. I get no response that results in the content being sent from Calibre to my Kindle .

However, if I send my converted book or my newsfeed item manually as an attachment from within my Windows Mail program to username@kindle.com, my Mail program sends it out and I immediately see it on my Kindle's Main Menu.

The manual way involves my going into my Calibre Library and specifically choosing the item to email out via a Windows Mail attachment like any other email item.

Does anyone understand why manual is working but not automatically from within Calibre?

I really like the CNET newsfeed which I tried on a one-time basis. I'd love to set it up to receive automatically to my K2 on a daily basis!

Thanks much for any ideas.
lesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I don't use this feature but here's what I can guess about it.

I would first suspect that something is blocking your outgoing email, it looks like Calbre uses a built in email server, perhaps your firewall or ISP is blocking outgoing email from it in attempts to block malware that sometimes send malicious stuff in and out on port 25 masquerading as email.

In Calibres setting try and change the email setting at the top (which looks like the destination email address) to your HOME email address and see if you get it there. If you DON'T get it then something is blocking it.

Optionally you may have to set up the email server that your Windows email program uses in the same options at the bottom in the SERVER options dialog.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there's a test button next to the email settings that will give you more info. Also if you have a gmail account you should use that in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
lesleyd
lesleyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for your replies.
I have set up a gmail account but am totally confused by it. I can't even tell what it is or how it works no matter how much I research it! My yahoo.com email address works perfectly (haven't tried it for sending in Calibre) but gmail seems to be an entirely different animal.

I will just send my Calibre converted material to my Kindle manually as an attachment via my usual Windows Mail. At least that works!

Rootman: my amazon registered email won't accept mail from Calibre so it must be the server issue you mentioned.

Last edited by lesleyd; 12-28-2009 at 03:07 AM.
lesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
RTownsend
RTownsend began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook; iRex; Kindle2; iPhone
Thanks for the tips here. Works perfectly. Of course, I had to go back and run the 'test' *embarrassed*. Had I followed your instructions the first time - all would have worked the first time.
Thanks again.
RTownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
mnkysan7
mnkysan7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleyd View Post
Thanks for your replies.
I have set up a gmail account but am totally confused by it. I can't even tell what it is or how it works no matter how much I research it! My yahoo.com email address works perfectly (haven't tried it for sending in Calibre) but gmail seems to be an entirely different animal.

I will just send my Calibre converted material to my Kindle manually as an attachment via my usual Windows Mail. At least that works!

Rootman: my amazon registered email won't accept mail from Calibre so it must be the server issue you mentioned.
It might be a server/firewall issue, but maybe not; see my experience below. If you are willing to give it another try, here is my successful email delivery setup using Google (approx. time total setup 45 min tops, less if you already have your Gmail acct. set up).

I too tried sending the email from my Yahoo acct as well by just entering my yahoo email address in the "from" email address box, and it timed out. I'm guessing that if you decide to use an email server other than Gmail, when you enter your "from" email address, you would have to enter all the "Optionally Use a Server" settings underneath (i.e., not only enter user@yahoo.com(for example) but the yahoo email settings such as the outgoing smtp (Hostname: ) and port number.

Gmail does look a little different from other email accounts, but the main difference is that it groups your emails into conversations (puts the replies and your original email together as a group with the original email showing in your Inbox). Sorry to sound like a commercial for Gmail but I have used it at work a lot, and coworkers seem to like it. And once you set it up you can use it only for emailing yourself books with Calibre (or for your junk email if you have to give an email address in order to enter something or sign up online).

Here's what worked for me:
(On your computer)
1) Set up your Gmail acct if you don't have one: Go to Google.com and click Gmail at the top left and enter all your information.
2) Add the Gmail acct to your Kindle approved email list: Go to Manage Your Kindle in the Kindle Store at amazon.com (the tab is second farthest from the right in the lower rack of tabs at the top of the page). (Sign in to amazon.com if necessary). About halfway down is Your Kindle Approved Email List; add your Gmail username there (hit Return).
3)Open Calibre and set up email delivery: Using Preferences: Run welcome wizard (it will still have your old info in there, so it will be fast, don't worry; it's easiest this way),
a)click through the Choose Your Language and Choose Your Book Reader screens (they should be already filled in).
b) On the Welcome To Calibre screen, fill in your Kindle email (user@kindle.com) and in Send email from, fill in your (new) Gmail address(user@gmail.com). Then click the Use Gmail icon on the lower right, and (again--you're almost there ) fill in your USER NAME (only) in Username: (it will already have "@gmail.com" there). Fill in your Gmail password in Password: . Now pat yourself on the back (a couple of times ).
c) Click Test email-it should successfully send one. If not, copy and paste the results to this forum. Click Continue and Done in the Wizard. (NOTE: You will NOT see "Test Email" in your list of documents on your Kindle if you check it at this point).
4) Send yourself a book (or newspaper or blog) from Calibre: (From the main window)Right-click the item (in your Library) and click Send To Device: Email to username@kindle.com. (DON'T pick the Email To username@kindle.com And Delete From Library option yet, you can always use that later once you know emailing works successfully).

(On your Kindle)
1) (Wake up your Kindle if necessary and Turn Wireless On (from the home Menu)). Find your item (at first, it had mine listed as "Not Yet Indexed", but put it into the list a few seconds later). Ta-da!

Last edited by mnkysan7; 01-04-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: clarity, deleting redundant portions
mnkysan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
flyup
flyup began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Question Your message didn't include any attached documents or image files

Thank you for the instructions.

My test email was successful but,

I get the following email back from amazon after selecting Connect/Share email to 'user'@kindle.com:

Your message to $%$^$@kindle.com, sent at 01:35 AM on Tue, Jan 25, 2011 GMT did not include any attached documents or image files.

The email goes on to explain the type of files amazon accepts as attachments.

I can see the news item I'm trying to send is in the .mobi format

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
flyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
cmargm
Enthusiast
cmargm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the detailed instructions but I am still unable to e-mail books from Calibre to my Kindle 3. I can send documents from my e-mail address to the Kindle with no problem. I did get a gmail account and I triple checked that everything was correct as to the username and password. In this report it says that the username and password are not accepted but I checked many times that I was correct.

This is what the error message was when the e-mail failed. Will I be able to use this function or is it not possible. I do have VISTA on my computer. If there is a solution I will probably need step by step directions as I am not totally computer literate. Thanks for any suggestions.

ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email Sum to <username>@free.kindle.com

Email Sum to <username>@free.kindle.com
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 587)
connect: (587, u'smtp.gmail.com')
reply: '220 mx.google.com ESMTP q31sm999243yba.3\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: mx.google.com ESMTP q31sm999243yba.3
connect: mx.google.com ESMTP q31sm999243yba.3
send: 'ehlo Marg-Laptop.home\r\n'
reply: '250-mx.google.com at your service, [204.191.68.253]\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 35651584\r\n'
reply: '250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: '250-STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: mx.google.com at your service, [204.191.68.253]
SIZE 35651584
8BITMIME
STARTTLS
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
send: 'ehlo Marg-Laptop.home\r\n'
reply: '250-mx.google.com at your service, [204.191.68.253]\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 35651584\r\n'
reply: '250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH\r\n'
reply: '250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: mx.google.com at your service, [204.191.68.253]
SIZE 35651584
8BITMIME
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: '535-5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at \r\n'
reply: '535 5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 q31sm999243yba.3\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: 5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 q31sm999243yba.3

Sending failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 117, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 171, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 110, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 610, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, '5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at\n5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257 q31sm999243yba.3')

Last edited by cmargm; 01-28-2011 at 12:39 AM. Reason: duplication of error message
cmargm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Code:
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email Sum to <username>@free.kindle.com
are you missing your Kindle device account info (username)? Run the welcome Wizard (the little arrow next to Preferences), after setting Amazon then Kindle (model), you should see a screen with to and from info.

Last edited by theducks; 01-28-2011 at 07:37 AM.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
cmargm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
are you missing your Kindle device account info (username)? Run the welcome Wizard (the little arrow next to Preferences), after setting Amazon then Kindle (model), you should see a screen with to and from info.
Thanks but I did that. I edited the error message so my name wasn't in it :<)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Follow the instructions here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=14257
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
cmargm
Enthusiast

Thanks for everyone's help. I didn't get a chance to change anything as I had no problems getting mail sent to my Gmail account from anywhere else, only when I tried to go from Calibre (Gmail) to my Kindle. I downloaded the new version of Calibre, tried the email function again, and everything worked well.

Marg