Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
ayutheos
ayutheos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Creating chapters in xhtml/html

Hi,

When I split a chapter at the cursor position, a new file is created but the numbering restarts from 0001 and the file extension is in html instead of xhtml.

E.g. I'm in file Section0005.xhtml, and I split the chapter in there, a new file Section0001.html is created.

How to I set it so that the numbering continues from previous chapter, and create the new file in xhtml?

Does it matter what file format (xhtml/html) the files are in?

Any help appreciated.
ayutheos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
A new file will have the default name Sectionxxxx.html, where xxxx is the lowest number not in use. It is not really important to be honest, since renaming is easy. Select the files you want to rename and right-click. Select rename and enter the generic name. The files will be renamed with sequential numbers.

The format is not really important since the declaration is correct. Although I must say that I tend to have everything as xhtml myself.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayutheos View Post
Hi,

When I split a chapter at the cursor position, a new file is created but the numbering restarts from 0001 and the file extension is in html instead of xhtml.

E.g. I'm in file Section0005.xhtml, and I split the chapter in there, a new file Section0001.html is created.

How to I set it so that the numbering continues from previous chapter, and create the new file in xhtml?

Does it matter what file format (xhtml/html) the files are in?

Any help appreciated.
the file NAME-number does not have anything to do with the name of the chapter , nor does it really delineate a book 'Chapter'. (The TOC/NCX is part of a set of position markers that we call Chapters. This is controlled by the Order the name appear in the Book Browser' list)

The (Sigil) Name-Numbering is for us humans .
It allows us to keep things in the proper order. The default number plan of split takes the parent file name and adds a number suffix. Alpha-numeric sorting rules want leading zeros so you don't get the 10,100,2,20 sort results.
And, you, you can sort the name list. Be careful that your naming alpha sorts properly, there is no undo for a sort (or name drag) except to discard that Sigil edit SESSION.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
ayutheos

Quote:
A new file will have the default name Sectionxxxx.html, where xxxx is the lowest number not in use. It is not really important to be honest, since renaming is easy. Select the files you want to rename and right-click. Select rename and enter the generic name. The files will be renamed with sequential numbers.

The format is not really important since the declaration is correct. Although I must say that I tend to have everything as xhtml myself.
What I'm doing at the moment is create a new chapter (split) from the chapter I'm working on (say Section0005.xhtml), rename the newly created file from Section0001.html to Section0006.xhtml.

I know that the (x)html files can be bulk renamed sequentially, but it's kind of annoying when creating new files that the numbering restarts from 0001 and in another file extension.

The thing is that for another epub that I was working on previously, creating new chapter files gives the correct numbering sequence (+1 from previous file) and all are in xhtml extension. Just not sure what happened in the epub that I'm working on now, where the numbering keeps restarting from 0001 and file extension doesn't follow my existing chapter files.

Quote:
the file NAME-number does not have anything to do with the name of the chapter , nor does it really delineate a book 'Chapter'. (The TOC/NCX is part of a set of position markers that we call Chapters. This is controlled by the Order the name appear in the Book Browser' list)

The (Sigil) Name-Numbering is for us humans .
It allows us to keep things in the proper order. The default number plan of split takes the parent file name and adds a number suffix. Alpha-numeric sorting rules want leading zeros so you don't get the 10,100,2,20 sort results.
And, you, you can sort the name list. Be careful that your naming alpha sorts properly, there is no undo for a sort (or name drag) except to discard that Sigil edit SESSION.
I did manually move things around in the content.opf file (sorting the chapter files and css file). Maybe that's what throwing the numbering sequence off? For actual chapter sorting I just drag sort them in the book browser (didn't manually change anything in the toc.ncx)

Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
The default extension changed from .xhtml to .html in the newest version of Sigil. So any new blank files you create will have .html automatically. You can rename the old .xhtml files to .html if you want them to match, but it doesn't matter.

Its a good question whether 001 should be used if available or if the next higher number should be used though.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
ayutheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
The default extension changed from .xhtml to .html in the newest version of Sigil. So any new blank files you create will have .html automatically. You can rename the old .xhtml files to .html if you want them to match, but it doesn't matter.

Its a good question whether 001 should be used if available or if the next higher number should be used though.
Ahh...that's what causing new files to default to html I did upgrade sigil to newest version after working on 1st epub.

Yeah, I'm guessing the numbering keeps starting from 001 because it didn't detect any html files as I changed all the extension to xhtml.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
I found a anomaly today with splitting files.

I split a file manually. Placed the curser where I wanted the split and clicked on the "split button".

File split OK with an extension of xxxxx.html.

Then I used the "<hr class="sigil_split_marker" />" option to split the rest of the file into chapters.

This went OK too.

BUT; the all file extensions were xxxxx.xhtml

Has anybody else found this.

I am using the latest beta version 0.5.907.

Did someone forget to change a line in the code?

Peace,
John P
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2011 View Post
Did someone forget to change a line in the code?
Appears so. Should be fixed for 0.6.0.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote