Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
CptCatarro
CptCatarro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Explanation about chapters

Hello there, I am new of this forum.
I am here because I would like to understand how chapter marking works in Sigil - Calibre - Kindle.

I know that it is a very common question, but reading from others posts, I cannon understand clearly the answer, so I'll try to put the question another time, hoping to understand (thank you in advance).

So I have this book that I am trying to edit. I have 4 XHTML files insides. From my experience, every XHTML files, generates a chapter in my Kindle, either if there is no HEADING mark. I've never known other ways to have a chapter different from breaking my book into a lots of XHTML files.
For the first time I've noticed that with this book chapters are created in Kindle also without breaking the book into multiples XHTML files. But I still don't understand.
The 1st XHTML file consists just of a word with a <H1> tag.
The 2nd XHTML files consists of a word with a <H2> and a series of <H3> tags. The same for the 3rd XHTML file and the 4th HTMLS file.
I cannot understand why the result (after converting the file with Calibre) in my Kindle is to have a chapter for the H1 tag, a chapter for the H2 tag, and a chapter for every H3 tag for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd XHTLM file. In the last one something is different because I have just the chapter for the H2 tag and not for the H3 tag. I have a correct TOC in Sigil (every H3 tag is selected) and a correct TOC in my Kindle, but, when I click on the Kindle TOC on a H3 TAG of the last file, it is linked with the last H2 tag and so it is not working correctly
I hope you understand and help me understand too.
Thanks in advance!!!
CptCatarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I suspect your problem is with calibre's conversion and not really Sigil (or ePub) related.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sigil is about EPUB,
not the Kindle or the Ipad's warped versions.

Files do not define 'chapters' (although many of us put a chapter/section per file for ease of maitainence, that does not make it a 'chapter').

Sigil (not EPUB) used H tags as markers to the auto-generator to define hierarchical TOC Levels (that most folk think of as Book/Part/Chapter) that are then coded into the NCX file. ( you can hand code the NCX and never use a H tag ).

Take some time and reverse engineer (with Sigil) some of the EPUBS found in the MR Library and figure out how things work for each book that you like the styling.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
I'd like to add to the original question, if I may.

I noticed that, when opening an ePub that I converted with calibre, it opens broken down into individual files corresponding to each chapter, so I guess it was split whenever there was an H2 tag.

However, when I save the original HTM (filtered) file in Word and then open in Sigil for editing, I get only one file.

Does this matter in any way? Can I just leave it as one file? (I haven't added the cover yet)

Q.
Quiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiss View Post
I'd like to add to the original question, if I may.

I noticed that, when opening an ePub that I converted with calibre, it opens broken down into individual files corresponding to each chapter, so I guess it was split whenever there was an H2 tag.

However, when I save the original HTM (filtered) file in Word and then open in Sigil for editing, I get only one file.

Does this matter in any way? Can I just leave it as one file? (I haven't added the cover yet)

Q.
It matters to some devices if your file (inside the EPUB is bigger than 260K) (calibre has various rules it can/will invoke to break files)

There are many MR threads discussing file size and reflow performance
IMHO
K.I.S.S. Keep It Small (and) Simple

Except for possibly doing 'edits', I can't see any any advantage for a single, huge file
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
NM this post - I'll start a new thread. Doesn't really belong here

Last edited by Quiss; 08-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Quiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
CptCatarro
CptCatarro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Maybe I can help someone as I found the problem.
The problem was actually with the Sygil "heading_id#" tag, so my H3 title was tagged <H3 heading_id#>TITLE</H3>. To quicky make an H3 title I've cut and pasted the first H3 TITLE for all the H3 title in the xhtml file. So every H3 title was tagged with the same heading_id# creating a problem for Sygil in the TOC creation. Every H3 title was so linked with the first H3 title.
Thank you all by the way!!!
CptCatarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCatarro View Post
Maybe I can help someone as I found the problem.
The problem was actually with the Sygil "heading_id#" tag, so my H3 title was tagged <H3 heading_id#>TITLE</H3>. To quicky make an H3 title I've cut and pasted the first H3 TITLE for all the H3 title in the xhtml file. So every H3 title was tagged with the same heading_id# creating a problem for Sygil in the TOC creation. Every H3 title was so linked with the first H3 title.
Thank you all by the way!!!
Note: If you had a chapter per file, all the ID numbers could have been the same because there would only be one occurrence per file eg id="c_2"
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Note: If you had a chapter per file, all the ID numbers could have been the same because there would only be one occurrence per file eg id="c_2"
Thanks Ducks
I've wondered about that but was to lazy to ask.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote