Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
johnnyalpha
johnnyalpha began at the beginning.

Device: none
cropping

hi everyone,
new here. just got myself kindle and am loking forward to using - when i can get my daughter off it!

have some pdf i need to crop. have tried briss, pdfscissors and pdfmanipulate and all seem to produce nicely cropped pdfs. then i load into calibre and convert to mobi and the offending headers and footers are back. just where i don't want em. i feel there must be something very simple i am missing. its doing my head in! pls help / any suggestions?
johnnyalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyalpha View Post
have some pdf i need to crop. have tried briss, pdfscissors and pdfmanipulate and all seem to produce nicely cropped pdfs. then i load into calibre and convert to mobi and the offending headers and footers are back. just where i don't want em. i feel there must be something very simple i am missing. its doing my head in! pls help / any suggestions?
I stay away from PDF files as source material, read this sticky post for reasons why I avoid PDFs. That said, as you have found out most cropping programs don't actually crop, they hide the edges and when you go to convert the hidden stuff is converted too.

With some help you can learn to do a search and replace during conversion to delete the headers or footers, read this sticky post. In most forums the sticky posts tend to get old and don't help much, but as a general rule you should read all of the sticky posts at the top of the calibre sub-forums.

Good luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@johnnyalpha,

Another option, if you have access to Adobe AcrobatPro (unfortunately not free) there is an option to physically delete the 'hidden' data. This might improve the conversion without having to do search/replace.

There may be other PDF editors with a similar function but I'm afraid I can't help with names.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
wtw1936
wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
See my post today https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...pdf+conversion
MobiPocket Reader will do the job, although with a few minor imperfections.
Get it at: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...sp?Language=EN
wtw1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
johnnyalpha
johnnyalpha began at the beginning.

Device: none
cheers everyone! I know i should have read up before posting. Am using mobipocket at mo and seems to do a fair job. Will look into search and replace in calibre too
johnnyalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cropping, pdf, pdfmanipulate, pdfscissors