Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #136
T.D.02809
Enthusiast
T.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen WiFi, Kindle App for MAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
"...I do hope B&N makes it and does extremely well. Competition breeds a better experience for all of us (author, reader, retailer, investor, community.) But I don't know if it's going to happen. They've had a steep hill to climb for a while and people are getting more and more used to shopping online.
Your point about better experience for all of us is an excellent point!
I understand the retro vinyl experience. Nearly same as books just no coffee. lol. At this time I am simply waiting for the dust to settle from last year's actions.
T.D.02809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #137
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I certainly hope B&N well, I've been buying from them for ages, though I'll grant you with cheaper online prices Amazon and my local used book store has gotten 95% of my print book business for the last 5-6 years. I have a nook ST now, so I have a horse in the race so to speak. As it comes to being locked in to content. That is what DRM removal is for. I certainly wouldn't have gone with a nook if I couldn't remove DRM from content to load it on and I wouldn't buy from BN.com if I couldn't remove the DRM if for some reason they went under, or next year I decided Kobo had the best and newest ereader or Amazon or someone else. Frankly the same goes with buying a Kindle.

I HATE with a firey burning passion DRM, especially on books. If I pay for the content I should be able to do damn well whatever I want with it so long as I am not selling it or giving it away. None of this buying in to an ecosystem BS.

When it comes to ebooks (not that I have had the nook ST long, about 3 weeks now) I buy/plan to buy them from BN.com so long as the prices are the same or comparable to Amazon or others. I've bought a couple of ebooks from Amazon, because well...they were listed for $2.79 from the regular 9.79 and BN has them for 10.49. Buy, strip DRM, convert, side load. It ain't piracy no matter what someone may say.

I've bought a couple of other ebooks from BN because the price was the same or within a few pennies. I've still downloaded and stripped the DRM. If nothing else, so I can read them on my iPad 2 if I ever want, or on another ebook reader if I ever buy a different manufacturers.

Just my 2 cents and opinions. I wish BN well, but at the same time I only have a limited amount of money, and if someone else is a lot cheaper, well they get my business. The Nook ST I think is the best ebook reader (eink based at least ) on the market right now for what I want and need, so I got it. BN is not always the best ebook seller out there, so not all of my purchases will be through them (though to support them, same price or within a buck or so and I will buy from them).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #138
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
When it comes to ebooks (not that I have had the nook ST long, about 3 weeks now) I buy/plan to buy them from BN.com so long as the prices are the same or comparable to Amazon or others. I've bought a couple of ebooks from Amazon, because well...they were listed for $2.79 from the regular 9.79 and BN has them for 10.49. Buy, strip DRM, convert, side load. It ain't piracy no matter what someone may say.
You can also root the Nook, install Kindle for android and skip the conversion.

Both are practices that may or not be impacting the bottom line on either side of the Kindle vs Nook debate but that probably don't give B&N execs the warm and fuzzies.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #139
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Piracy involves "stealing." You bought the books. You didn't steal them. You then altered them. While that may be against the law and license you signed, it is not piracy until/unless you upload/sell/giveaway etc.

I think B&N allows us to upload and not apply DRM, but do you know, I can't remember. I know I don't have to choose it at Amazon or Smash...but I can't recall whether B&N has that option.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #140
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
There are deffinitely books on BN.com that don't have DRM, including paid books. The first book I bought from BN to "test out" the DRM removal before I plunged in to buying more books from them (so that I could be device/reader independent from them in the future) didn't have DRM, as Calibre read it just fine without me having setup the plug-in. The next book I bought did have DRM and it took me about an hour to get the plug-in to work. Mostly because I didn't realize once I had the plug-in setup I had to THEN import the book, it wouldn't strip DRM from books already loaded in my Calibre library.

As for how that is setup for DRM vs. non-DRM for books on BN.com I am not entirely sure, but there deffinitely are at least a few that are non-DRM.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #141
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
There are deffinitely books on BN.com that don't have DRM, including paid books. The first book I bought from BN to "test out" the DRM removal before I plunged in to buying more books from them (so that I could be device/reader independent from them in the future) didn't have DRM, as Calibre read it just fine without me having setup the plug-in. The next book I bought did have DRM and it took me about an hour to get the plug-in to work. Mostly because I didn't realize once I had the plug-in setup I had to THEN import the book, it wouldn't strip DRM from books already loaded in my Calibre library.

As for how that is setup for DRM vs. non-DRM for books on BN.com I am not entirely sure, but there deffinitely are at least a few that are non-DRM.
Yup, you're right. There's an option. It's hard for me to keep it all straight when uploading. Or downloading for that matter...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote