Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak5 View Post
Seen some videos on Youtube and Cybook looked a bit laggy with Its own DRM - Mobi. While, when I play with 505 in Waterstones, it seems very responsive with LRF.
Not so. The refresh rate is entirely down to the "physics" of the eInk screen, and is identical for the Sony and the CyBook, since they use the same screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not so. The refresh rate is entirely down to the "physics" of the eInk screen, and is identical for the Sony and the CyBook, since they use the same screen.
While it is up to the screen how fast the refresh can be, it's also up to the controller to be able to drive the screen as fast as possible. Look at the K1 and K2, the K2 is faster using the same screen because it has a screen controller that can drive the screen faster.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a good point, Jon, but in my experience, the 505 and the Gen3 do have pretty much the same screen refresh rates. As you rightly say, the PRS-700, Kindle 2, etc, are faster due to the more sophisticated controller they use.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
Mak5
Mak5 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank U Guys. I appreciate Your help.

Cheers

Luke
Mak5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #20
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The Sony has 3 zoom levels; the CyBook has 12, plus it support "real" bold and italic fonts (the Sony "synthesises" them), plus you can load any font you wish onto the machine. The CyBook has the best font handling of any device out there.
I read this before here.. What exactly is synthesized italics? Does it look visually different? When I see italics on my 505, they look like--shocker--italics.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

See the attached image.

A synthesised italic font is just a "slanted" version of the normal font.

A real italic font has different shapes for the letters - look at the "f" and the "g", for example.

You've really never noticed the difference?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Italics.gif
Views:	218
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	25255  
Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #22
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
See the attached image.

A synthesised italic font is just a "slanted" version of the normal font.

A real italic font has different shapes for the letters - look at the "f" and the "g", for example.

You've really never noticed the difference?
No, not compared to, say, the differences between a serif & san-serif font...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #23
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak5 View Post
Just two more Q:
1) Is it possible to convert Mobi into LRF or Epub?
Like Mobi - PDF - Epub? I realize some formatting options might be lost, but is it possible technically?

2) I read that Sony requires PC connection to upload any new e-books and Cybook doesn't. How does it work for Bookeen then? There is no Wifi...
1) Yes. There are a number of apps, but the best to start with is probably an open-source app/suite of apps called Calibre, which will allow you to convert non-DRMed various formats into various other formats, including Mobi/Lrf/ePub. It doesn't itself remove DRM, but there are other programs that can remove DRM from files, including Mobi.

2) No, they both require a PC connection, where they both appear as a standard USB drive. Sony has a Windows app that you can optionally use to manage the device, but it's not required to be used. (The advantage is that it will pre-load the paging of an eBook when it's transferred using it, but all the not using it means is that the first time the eBook's opened on the reader, there'll be a one-off delay while the device calculates the paging.)

The main advantages of the Cybook are that it supports dictionaries & user-selectable fonts, the main advantages of the 505 are that it supports ePub and mechanically 'feels' better.

As for the fragility, just bear in mind that at present, the displays of all these devices are just sheets of relatively thin glass - it's just a matter of being careful to ensure that it's not going to be dropped or that there's no chance of any point pressure on the screen when in a bag, etc. E.g. the cover with the Sony is a decent one for round-the-house, but for travelling, I have a DVD-case type of hard cover I put it in.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #24
Hantra
Enthusiast
Hantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What pushes me toward the Kindle and away from the Sony is the sheer cost of books. The wireless is nice, but it comes down to the fact that all the books I want to read are cheaper on Kindle than in the Sony store, and especially cheaper than other stores besides Sony.
Hantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 AM   #25
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
What pushes me toward the Kindle and away from the Sony is the sheer cost of books. The wireless is nice, but it comes down to the fact that all the books I want to read are cheaper on Kindle than in the Sony store, and especially cheaper than other stores besides Sony.
That's true, as Amazon does seem to be capping the prices for a number of books, but note that the original poster was/is in the UK, which means that they can't readily purchase a Kindle!

In addition, when comparing the Kindle vs Sony, don't forget that you can buy from other stores as well as Sony's (plus loans from libraries) so it's not clear-cut and may well depend on a personal balance including the value you put on the convienience of whispernet and the type/rate of books you buy.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #26
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I think with the way I treat electronic items, I would break this in about a month.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote