Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Your signature says: "Device: PRS 600". Do you have both?
Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. Now corrected.
I was seriously thinking of going for the 600 a month or so ago, and I still like its extra speed, but the I realised that I just wouldn't use the touchscreen enough to justify the loss in contrast, even if it is minor.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Also if you can run ereader2html.py you can just as easily run MobiDeDRM.py
=X=
I don't know how. I am on a Mac and am not very techie with that sort of thing Plus I can read non-liberated eReader on my iPod Touch so I guess I feel there is more 'safety' in that format. I am entirely possibly wrong, but I guess I know how to do what I am doing now and am in a little rut with it...

I'd love to liberate secure epub but have no idea where to start.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #18
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't know how. I am on a Mac and am not very techie with that sort of thing ...
I'd strongly recommend that you read the thread I stared here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311

I give step by step instructions on how to do it. Feel free to contact me if you have problems.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #19
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks, Ed. I don't have a PC though...

May try this over Christmas when I bring my school netbook home, but without a PC at home right now I guess I am out of luck?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
ficbot, please see my PM.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
If there was a French dictionary (or better yet, the option of several languages with the option to load one or two or all of them at will) with one-click look-up, that would be a feature which would really entice me.
There is a Russian group that hacked their PRS-600 to such extend they could load a custom character set and I think a (Russian) dictionary.

Only goes to show what a waste it is companies like Sony and Amazon lock off their devices completely. I feel a lot could be accomplished by open access to the firmware, if only they would allow it
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #22
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I would like a larger screen for letter-size PDF support - but that wouldn't replace my 505 for novels.

In order to replace it I'd need a great deal on a device that provides a better reading experience. Features like dictionaries and wireless downloads are good - but they're secondary not primary features - and so far I haven't really seen anything that's markedly better than the 505. Most of the current generation non-touchscreen readers are about as good - but nothing's standing out as better.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I know the Kindle and eBookwise both offer dictionary look-up but they only seem to offer English dictionaries.
I don't know about the eBookwise. But on Kindles 2 and DX, I've installed a German-English dictionary. Has been a standard Mobipocket dictionary I'd bought for my iRex iLiad. Just stripped from DRM, dragged it to the Kindles and set as the new standard dictionary. Works like a charm without any modifications necessary.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #24
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Elfwreck - No. All you are doing by buying DRM'ed books is encouraging them to continue with DRM. Breaking DRM means not buying DRM'ed books, and letting people know it's because of the DRM you're purchasing other options.
I don't buy DRM'd ebooks.

I've downloaded some freebies, but I mostly avoid even those; just too many hoops to bother with. (I read on three computers and a Sony Reader, and under some circumstances, a Clié. It's hell to get everything synched across the DRM servers.)

The only DRM I break is locked PDFs; I tend to crack them so I can crop the margins out, add tags, fix the metadata & add bookmarks. (If I'm particularly inspired, I save 'em out to Word and reformat from scratch. But I have to really care about the content for that.)

But for those who do buy DRM--if they want to keep access to it, they'll need to decrypt it. Because the companies who sell DRM'd content have proven, over and over, that they stop supporting it as soon as they think it's not profitable enough. Which sometimes includes "when the software has been upgraded and the old content doesn't work on the new software."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote