Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
730 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Question Can't find whether I have Special Offers on or how to disable them (PW3)

Just got a PW3 (not bought directly from Amazon) and on my Amazon Devices page there's no "Actions" option like their help site says. I can't see any ads on my screensaver but the jailbreaking guide warns against having Special Offers on so I want to make sure. Does this mean it was bought with Special Offers off?

Edit: don't want to make another thread so another unrelated question. I changed language to Japanese and it asks me to download an update, which would obviously download a dictionary. Does this update also update the firmware, or does it just download dictionaries?

Edit2: Solved. Had special offers, and downloading dictionaries didn't download a firmware update (at least not with the folder for OTA update prevention on my memory).

Last edited by 730; 04-22-2019 at 03:23 PM.
730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Kindles with Special Offers will show an advertisement as a screensaver when the reader is sleeping. If not, it will show a random image from a selection (there's one with fountain pen nibs, one with block letters etc.). You can see comparisons on Google Images if you want. If you don't have ads on the screensaver it means that the Kindle was bought without Special Offers, or that the Special Offers were removed afterwards by the previous owner (they're linked to the device, not the user, so once they're removed they won't come back).
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Kindles with Special Offers will show an advertisement as a screensaver when the reader is sleeping. If not, it will show a random image from a selection (there's one with fountain pen nibs, one with block letters etc.). You can see comparisons on Google Images if you want. If you don't have ads on the screensaver it means that the Kindle was bought without Special Offers, or that the Special Offers were removed afterwards by the previous owner (they're linked to the device, not the user, so once they're removed they won't come back).
Thanks, I thought maybe they depended on Internet connection and since I've barely had it connected it didn't have time to show them. Guess it doesn't have them then.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #4

Actually, now they are showing up. Just needed to be connected to the internet for a while.

Tags
pw3, special offers