Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly View Post
I do not know if this coming device is discussed somewhere in the forum. But I think I will wait for that. What do you think?

http://www.plasticlogic.com/news.html
There are forum threads on Plastic Logic, but everything we think we know about the device is in the wiki. This industry has often been late delivering products, but waiting until the middle of next year to upgrade from a PRS-505 is a reasonable strategy. The Plastic Logic might not be available by then, but there will be plenty of other "next generation" devices to choose from.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #17
Kosmicki
Kosmicki began at the beginning.

Device: None
I was looking at getting a 700 as my first ebook reader, but I'm holding out until some production models get out there. I'm still hoping that the strange contrast is caused by pre-production models. I've seen a 505 at the local Target and love its screen. It'll be a shame if it turns out the screen is worse, in my opinion the 700 is the best looking reader right now.
Kosmicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #18
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmicki View Post
I was looking at getting a 700 as my first ebook reader, but I'm holding out until some production models get out there. I'm still hoping that the strange contrast is caused by pre-production models. I've seen a 505 at the local Target and love its screen. It'll be a shame if it turns out the screen is worse, in my opinion the 700 is the best looking reader right now.
Kosmicki,

I echo your sentiments.

Let's hope that the production units get into the reviewers' hands any day now and we get more input on this one.

One thing that I don't fully understand re e-ink screens is whether or not it is possible to have some form of contrast control feature similar to lcd screens where you can adjust the contrast on a sliding scale (eg 0 to 100). I'm guessing you can't.....
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden1 View Post
Other than the the above issues, I thought the 700 was a great improvement on the 505.
Eeep!! Well since the only reason I purchased an e-reader was to read books, the contrast and clarity are both major issues for me.

Judging from those photos, there is no way in hell I would purchase a 700, nor would I recommend it to my friends who have asked. It looks plain awful.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
pampalini
Enthusiast
pampalini began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 & PRS600 aka Touch Edition
Quote:
Being a 505 reader for the past 6 months and interested in buying the new 700 next month, I took a trip to my local Sony store to compare them side by side.

I have been reading with interest the comments regarding poor screen contrast on the 700 - and wanted to see for myself if this was true or not. I was surprised not only by the screen contrast, but also by the clarity of the text. To my eyes the 700 screen is darker than the 505, and the text lacks clarity and appeared 'out of focus'. As such I have changed my mind, and will be holding off buying the 700 - with hope that the 700 demo is just that - a demo.

Whilst at the store I asked the sales assistant I could take a picture of the two units side by side. I think they show the differences between them:

[IMG][/IMG]

Other than the the above issues, I thought the 700 was a great improvement on the 505.
hey! where are the photos
I need to see them....

p.s.
incredible...when I post this reply....BINGO the pixs Appeared!! my browser is drunk...

Last edited by pampalini; 11-05-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: pix are visible now
pampalini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #21
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
I really wanted to like it too... had it met expectations, I'd have immediately pre-ordered from Sony and waited with anticipation. Oh well, I'm now the proud owner of a gorgeous silver PRS-505
Thanks much for your review. The unit's reaction to minor flexing is a bit scary to me. I realize that one wouldn't INTENTIONALLY flex their screens, but it could happen easily in baggage or whatnot.

Interestingly, I had seen the uneven glow of the lights in the original photos and wondered how that would play out, as well. I'll reserve my final personal judgment until I see the unit myself, but my enthusiasm for the 700 is waning.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #22
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was really excited about the 700 but this makes me want to get a 505 with lightwedge cover instead. The only thing keeping me from getting a 505 was the lack of a built-in light. I can't believe Sony would release this with such crappy contrast???

I realize these are pre-production models and the final product might be different, but I'm thinking something as major as the screen will probably be final by now.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #23
Spad
Spad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-505, RocketBook, Palm TX, iPod Touch 2G/32
Quote:
This is a bit like the old saw, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
If I were to buy 700 or 505 I would wait until they actually start selling 700 and compare a real model of 700 to 505. For some reason I really doubt that Sony, whose leading pro was always the hardware bit, would make such a blander.

On the other hand, people who want touch screen with fingerprints' smudges all over ebook reader screen most likely would not care/notice contrast issue. Anyone who would notice the issue would be reluctant to buy touch screen for book reading in the first place
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #25
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
If I were to buy 700 or 505 I would wait until they actually start selling 700 and compare a real model of 700 to 505. For some reason I really doubt that Sony, whose leading pro was always the hardware bit, would make such a blander.

On the other hand, people who want touch screen with fingerprints' smudges all over ebook reader screen most likely would not care/notice contrast issue. Anyone who would notice the issue would be reluctant to buy touch screen for book reading in the first place
I don't know, with the release date less than two weeks away, I can't imagine the production models being much different. I hope they are because I was planning on a 700, but I'm starting to lose hope.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #26
Wheezie
Wheezie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650
I think from those photos that I don't even need to see one in person. That is the deal killer for me. I will stick with my 505. On the 505 you don't ever get the impression that the text is "under" anything, but in the photos you can tell some sort of distance or space.
Definitely not as clear a screen in my opinion.
Wheezie
Wheezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #27
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
The biggest problem with eInk on all devices so far is the contrast -- the background is always grey, not white (like a piece of paper). As far as eInk goes, the Sony 505 is state of the art (as are the Kindle, etc.) -- they all use the same screen. Personally, I'm not going to upgrade my 505 until the contrast issue is solved. Think about it -- you're going to spend many hours reading your eInk device, struggling unconsciously with the lousy contrast, and Sony releases a model with even poorer contrast. This is a much more important issue than all the other bells and whistles they added (faster page turning, more font sizes, lighting, etc.) It would appear that the technical people took over from the designers and produced an unusable machine.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #28
splanchnic
Enthusiast
splanchnic is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Ipod Touch
New ebook buyer

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but have been following discussions since I decided to invest in an ebook reader. My plan was to buy the PRS 700 but am having second thoughts about this due to the contrast issue. I really like the design of the 505 and the touch screen is not important to me at all (but I love the idea of a built in light for those late nights with sleepless, crying baby). I will check out my local Sony Style store (in Toronto) when the 700 is released to weigh the benefit of the faster refreshes and built-in light against what may be better contrast in the 505. I am posting this not to publicize the small decisions in my life, but just in case Sony reps visit these sites to test public opinion (and to say hi to all you fine folks). While I'm here I should also say that there is no way I would buy the Sony if it were not for Calibre and its generous creator (I plan to chip in to the fund even if I don't get a 700).

Anyway, thanks everyone for the insight and experience freely given.
splanchnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Frankly speaking contrast and getting rid off ghosting were the main reasons why I upgraded from 500 to 505.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by splanchnic View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but have been following discussions since I decided to invest in an ebook reader. My plan was to buy the PRS 700 but am having second thoughts about this due to the contrast issue. I really like the design of the 505 and the touch screen is not important to me at all (but I love the idea of a built in light for those late nights with sleepless, crying baby). I will check out my local Sony Style store (in Toronto) when the 700 is released to weigh the benefit of the faster refreshes and built-in light against what may be better contrast in the 505. I am posting this not to publicize the small decisions in my life, but just in case Sony reps visit these sites to test public opinion (and to say hi to all you fine folks). While I'm here I should also say that there is no way I would buy the Sony if it were not for Calibre and its generous creator (I plan to chip in to the fund even if I don't get a 700).

Anyway, thanks everyone for the insight and experience freely given.
Welcome to MobileRead, splanchnic, and thank you for your contributions and thoughts.

You'll find a lot here, and also thousands of free, public domain and creative commons titles.

Have fun!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote