Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #46
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Me too. Plus I cut way back on the number of ghost collections I had by deleting all duplicates and also deleting some collections I never really used much.

Yes, but I would like to turn them off from always being displayed. Seems like it would have made more sense to only display them in collections when viewing Cloud items, and not display them when viewing Device items. Too much clutter.
I agree, hopefully they will add the option to either turn it on/off for only those collections that have items on the device or give the user the option to only sync in collections, not sync them out. This is an improvement over what we had before but it still is not close to being very user friendly. Once again, Amazon didn't take into consideration users who have more than one device, and I do not want to think about those users who have more than one person on an account. I would not want to get bombarded with all my husbands collections as I'm sure he would feel the same way.

And while my Fire HD has not gotten the update, I am led to believe you can put your apps into collections also. I hope these are not collections that will sync to the PW also.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not liking the updated Add/Remove Items to collections feature because you now you have to scroll through the entire list of Cloud items to put a newly downloaded book that is on your PW2 into a collection. Once again, bad Amazon, bad...rolled up newspaper in hand.

ETA: You can select to sort by Recent, but it is still kludge to have no ability to turn off the display of all your Cloud items, especially if you have hundreds of Cloud items. I think Amazon really screwed the pooch here by cluttering up simple tasks by displaying dozens if not hundreds of Cloud items rather than just those that are on your PW2.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-19-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #48
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not liking the updated Add/Remove Items to collections feature because you now you have to scroll through the entire list of Cloud items to put a newly downloaded book that is on your PW2 into a collection. Once again, bad Amazon, bad...rolled up newspaper in hand.
Do you have your sort on Most Recent, that should have your new items right at the top?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Do you have your sort on Most Recent, that should have your new items right at the top?
I do now, just remembered to do that a few minutes ago. But I still wish we could turn off the auto display of all the Cloud items. I understand having them displayed due to the fact there is no other place wherein we can currently manage them. But Amazon needs to create a web page that allows us to fully manage the Cloud Collections and then give us the ability to turn off the display of Cloud items on our devices, if we choose to. Currently it appears that we have to use the PW2 (or a Fire) to manage the Cloud Collections. We need a web page for that!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #50
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
This has got to be one of the worst updates ever. All my on device collections, gone. I make a collection, and Every Single Time I go to put an item in the collection, I get a pop up window telling me I have added an item that will not be synced to the cloud.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #51
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
This has got to be one of the worst updates ever. All my on device collections, gone. I make a collection, and Every Single Time I go to put an item in the collection, I get a pop up window telling me I have added an item that will not be synced to the cloud.
Wow, I haven't encountered that! What kind of items are you adding? Side loaded items? I can see those not being synced. But if not side loaded, what kind of items?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #52
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Holy crap. All of a sudden a zillion collections appeared out of a nowhere. And they are from my PW1 which I no longer have!!!

Yes I side load everything.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon needs to do something like Kobo and put in a "Show All" or "On Reader" switch for what books are seen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #54
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Holy crap. All of a sudden a zillion collections appeared out of a nowhere. And they are from my PW1 which I no longer have!!!

Yes I side load everything.
Those are the Ghosts of Collections Past, as I call them! Every collection from every Kindle in the past will appear, apparently.

I doubt you can sync side loaded books to the Cloud. Amazon will require they be sent to the Cloud via email or Send To Kindle app.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #55
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

It is completely ridiculous to have to go through all the extra taps just to add items to a collection. I am deleting everything that's not in a collection.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #56
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
I get that too but only on books that I did not purchase through Amazon. And yes, I wish you could turn that update off also. I am writing a list of things I am going to send in as feedback in order for Amazon to consider changing.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Did they put use_alt_fonts back? That's all I care about.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

It is just beyond my comprehension that they have released this update. Does anyone know where I can get the previous firmeware?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #59
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Did they put use_alt_fonts back? That's all I care about.
I doubt it. They rarely give us back things they took away. I never had a PW1 long enough to try the use_alt_fonts, so I'll have to wait for someone who is familiar with it to test it. Unless it was an easy mod, as in no JB.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #60
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Ok. Short of turning on airplane mode is there anyway to prevent the upgrade?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote