Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #31
lateasusual
lateasusual began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneTF View Post
I'd been having a lot of problems with the dictionary coming up when it wasn't supposed to. When I turned the page it seemed very easy to trigger it once again.
Per Sony on their firmware update page.

* Resolves an issue where using a very short page flick to turn a page may accidentally select words and start the dictionary lookup

This sounds like the issue you are describing so maybe that will go away now with the update.

It is nice to see Sony listening to their customers and following up with updates to their readers. Judging from what I have read they were not so on the ball before now. I guess they now see the need to stay relevant in the ereader market or lose their share to Amazon and B & N. If customers are having issues with their Sony readers they likely won't buy the brand again. Stay in the game, Sony. Keep improving this ereader.
lateasusual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #32
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justloveebooks View Post
Yup, had to charge it first, was just nearly empty yesterday evening when I read about the update.
Went without a hitch, on reboot the usual selection which program to start - still rooted.
That was with Mac OS X 10.6, from the Sony Reader Application.

That said I did not have the described problems with the dictionary. Sometimes a klick on the hardware-button for page forward resulted in 2 pages forward, if that is solved I will only see in a longer reading session.
Wether this update is needed? I cannot say. I see no harm.
The last problem which required to root the PRS-T1 again was a chance to clean things up, so that was not too bad to be forced to do so.

But imho (maybe remembering wrong!) that was not the Sony Update but rather a not running program which had to be closed and resulted in a hung reboot, requiring a hard-reset.
Did Sony break the su like last time (can you still find the Superuser apk or is it gone)?
If it's gone, you could try to restore it with this. Did the trick with me last time. (I will wait a little with the update this time)
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Can someone please direct me to the URL address with the update instructions for updating WITHOUT using the Sony Reader Library software?

Thanks!
I opened Calibre to download some books to the reader and upon connection it prompted me to upgrade. It was just yesterday, so I got it a little late. I never thought Calibre did that. Sony software never even opened, in fact, I´m seriously thinking about removing it althogether.

I had none of the issues that supposedly this upgrade will fix. I yet have to see it frozen over a page turn. I use swipe and/or hard keys depending the hand I´m holding the reader with.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #34
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Did Sony break the su like last time (can you still find the Superuser apk or is it gone)?
I installed the firmware update on my rooted T1. The Superuser APK file was still on the reader afterward, although it was no longer installed. I re-installed the APK and rebooted the reader.

Last edited by Skibble; 02-03-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: For clarification.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #35
rinring
rinring began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It works for me, but I cannot root the device after having installed the update, following the instructions here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks

I don't know if this is due to having installed the update or the root instructions are wrong.
rinring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
another set of PRS-T1 rooting instructions

http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D21458
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #37
Tropod
Tropod began at the beginning.

Device: K3 + 3G
No mention of the page skipping/hiding bug in the chagelog, well here's hoping anyway. Pretty annoying when reading and the reader just pretends a page doesn't exist until you change font/reopen the book. Worst part is that it's only noticeable at all if the flow of words is obviously wrong or you check the page number.
Tropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #38
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropod View Post
No mention of the page skipping/hiding bug in the chagelog, well here's hoping anyway. Pretty annoying when reading and the reader just pretends a page doesn't exist until you change font/reopen the book. Worst part is that it's only noticeable at all if the flow of words is obviously wrong or you check the page number.
I haven't noticed it since I updated mine, which may be a coincidence or indication that the problem is indeed fixed.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #39
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
True. That bug is annoying and treacherous.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
I have installed the new firmware but am using Morkl's modified reader and still had a double page turn. It only happens (very occasionally) when using the buttons, not a page swipe. I do see a very subtle screen flicker so I can tell what has happened. When I go back a page, the skipped page is still there. Does yours disappear until you reopen the book? That would be really annoying.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
Tropod
Tropod began at the beginning.

Device: K3 + 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I have installed the new firmware but am using Morkl's modified reader and still had a double page turn. It only happens (very occasionally) when using the buttons, not a page swipe. I do see a very subtle screen flicker so I can tell what has happened. When I go back a page, the skipped page is still there. Does yours disappear until you reopen the book? That would be really annoying.
Yeah, it just completely ignores a page at times, you can go back/forward over and over and it won't show it until you either change font size or reopen the book, and there's no sign it's skipping it unless you keep an eye on the page number. Though I also get the page skip bug you describe too when using the buttons, (which I usually do), where it goes to the next page and then instantly refreshes to the next as if it was pushed twice. May just root it and try another epub reader.

Last edited by Tropod; 02-03-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Tropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #42
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can check with Morkl for details but Sony probally updated the reader APK in the new firmware, and Morkl's update is based on previous version.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #43
atze
atze began at the beginning.

Quote:
Yep, exactly the same problem here. Often happens after about 50 - 60 pages continuous reading.
atze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #44
rinring
rinring began at the beginning.

This procedure works ok for me under Ubuntu 11.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
When the last update came out, someone came up with instructions on how to apply it if you used Linux. You basically unzipped the .exe file, copied over one of the files to the device via USB, and then rebooted holding down two buttons. Search this forum for the instructions, and you should be able to install from your Mac in exactly the same way.
rinring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #45
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Skipping one page has happened at least twice since updating to the most recent firmware so this bug is not fixed. I always use swipe to turn page.

Pressing Home and reopening book does reveal the missing page.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote