Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Kindle license agreenent notes...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200144530

Some bits of interest...

Quote:
Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and acquisition services on your Device. You will be charged a fee for wireless connectivity for your use of other wireless services on your Device, such as Web browsing and downloading of personal files, should you elect to use those services. We will maintain a list of current fees for such services in the Kindle Store. Amazon reserves the right to discontinue wireless connectivity at any time or to otherwise change the terms for wireless connectivity at any time, including, but not limited to, (a) limiting the number and size of data files that may be transferred using wireless connectivity and (b) changing the amount and terms applicable for wireless connectivity charges.
So, web access may be free at the moment, but it's also an "experimental" feature and if the bills from Sprint get big and the book income is small then this experimental feature could go "foof" and disappear at any moment. Or they could start chaging for data access, offer premium service plans, etc.

Speaking of going foof unexpectedly...

Quote:
In order to keep your Software up-to-date, Amazon may automatically provide your Device with updates/upgrades to the Software.
So don't expect to get asked about patches and version upgrades. Expect to wake up one morning and find you got 2.0 overnight, etc. Of course Tivo and other things work this way too.

Having 100% of your product available on the net all the time is pretty convenient for a software developer. Of course you can turn the wireless off if you don't have something like a newspaper subscription and don't want to recharge the device every two days.

And of course everyone wants to be nosey these days...

Quote:
The Device Software will provide Amazon with data about your Device and its interaction with the Service (such as available memory, up-time, log files and signal strength) and information related to the content on your Device and your use of it (such as automatic bookmarking of the last page read and content deletions from the Device). Annotations, bookmarks, notes, highlights, or similar markings you make in your Device are backed up through the Service. Information we receive is subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice.
And everything that has a beginning has an end...

Quote:
Amazon reserves the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Service at any time, and Amazon will not be liable to you should it exercise such right.
Quote:
Amazon reserves the right to amend any of the terms of this Agreement at its sole discretion by posting the revised terms on the Kindle Store or the Amazon.com website. Your continued use of the Device and Software after the effective date of any such amendment shall be deemed your agreement to be bound by such amendment.
But I'm pretty sure Amazon wants this device (and the service in general) to succeed and for their customers to be happy, so none of this bothers me particularly. But it's good to know what you're getting into.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
So if you read pirated books on the Kindle Amazon might notice? Or do they promise not to look at this kind of information?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So if you read pirated books on the Kindle Amazon might notice? Or do they promise not to look at this kind of information?
I haven't read the entire ToS but it looks like they're saying they reserve the right to look at the content on the device.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
What about content I legally own but that is not meant for others people's eyes? I can immediately think of two cases... company documents and purchased DRM-free e-books in PDF.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
What about content I legally own but that is not meant for others people's eyes? I can immediately think of two cases... company documents and purchased DRM-free e-books in PDF.
Yep. Putting my company documents on anything network-capable has to get the approval of my IT department and there's no way I'd get that for the Kindle with that ToS. I might squeak an iLiad through.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
so, just load MobiReader for windows and use it to convert your content. You do not have to use the Amazon site to convert documents.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
so, just load MobiReader for windows and use it to convert your content. You do not have to use the Amazon site to convert documents.

Dale
If it's on the Kindle they can read it. I'm not saying they will but they have access to it and appear to be reserving the right to do it.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
If it's on the Kindle they can read it. I'm not saying they will but they have access to it and appear to be reserving the right to do it.
you are saying they are going to upload all of your books and steal them?

Dale
Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
you are saying they are going to upload all of your books and steal them?

Dale
I am saying nothing of the sort. I am saying they have access to them and could if they wanted. That means my company would not allow me to put confidential information on the Kindle. I would be fired if they found out I did so. It is a violation of the security policy.

I also don't trust them not to tell the government what I read just like we all now realize we can't trust our telcos not to turn over our usage data without a warrant. You may think that's paranoid but with 750,000 people on the watch list, maybe it's not. Of course, just downloading a political book is probably just as risky so I doubt the Kindle is adding much to it.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I am saying nothing of the sort. I am saying they have access to them and could if they wanted. That means my company would not allow me to put confidential information on the Kindle. I would be fired if they found out I did so. It is a violation of the security policy.

I also don't trust them not to tell the government what I read just like we all now realize we can't trust our telcos not to turn over our usage data without a warrant. You may think that's paranoid but with 750,000 people on the watch list, maybe it's not. Of course, just downloading a political book is probably just as risky so I doubt the Kindle is adding much to it.
Interesting point for security. It is not clear that they can upload your books. Perhaps you can apply Unix protection on the files to prevent their access. I wonder how long it will take spammers and hackers to start sending files over whispernet. Anything that is online has some security concerns.

dale
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If they can push subscriptions and (presumably) update firmware over the air, who knows what else they can do? They definitely didn't release sources of the UI for us to poke at.
I doubt they will ever read user's files (if ever discovered, such thing would raise a giant stink), but the option is there.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote