Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
jaw00001
jaw00001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Arrow Kindle -> External ePaper Display

Hi All,

I'm checking to see if there's any prior art around converting a kindle into an external, USB-connected display for a PC. At the end of the day, what I want to have is a C# application running on a Windows machine that can display simple graphics (lines, rectangles, etc.) and characters on a jailbroken kindle. It doesn't have to be a full-blown graphics device from the perspective of Windows -- in fact, the easiest way that comes to mind would be to have it exposed as a USB drive and have a program running on the kindle that periodically picks up a file from a well-known location and renders it on the screen -- either HTML if there's a browser component on the Kindle that can be repurposed or some simple custom format.

Anyway, since I thought of it, I assume it's already been done, and done better than I could manage in a weekend. Anyone know where to find it?

(If you really want to know the end use of this, it's to display some navigation info on my boat, cheaply, and in full sunlight.)
jaw00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You may be looking for something like this. Note: I haven't tested it. If this may be what you want, it's probably best to ask questions in that thread.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep. That, or - shameless plug - use kindlevncviewer (on K3). Not sure if there are similar means for K4/K5, though.

But to the OP: Yep, it's been done before. Though I think nobody made it a fully-dedicated monitor, i.e. autostarting the application that cares for displaying stuff. But that would be simple to implement, just hook the app start into the boot scripts.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote