Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Tcl/Tk for iLiad?

I just compiled and installed Tcl/Tk in Scratchbox target for iLiad because they are needed by Python. In fact, I don't know what are they. With some brief review of the official site, I only caught the key word "rapid development".
So, my question is: do we need it for iLiad?
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I just compiled and installed Tcl/Tk in Scratchbox target for iLiad because they are needed by Python. In fact, I don't know what are they. With some brief review of the official site, I only caught the key word "rapid development".
I'm quite a fan of Tcl/Tk, so...

Tcl/Tk is a scripting language with a very well designed UI (API-wise). It is rather small (in KB) as it is designed to be included in applications. In spirit, it is similar to the lua+lgob port that you have seen here.

The API of the UI is so great, that it is (was?) the deafult GUI for python, hence its status as a dependency. It uses raw X (no GTK/Qt, etc although there are ports for a lot of platforms, including windows), and it shows its age, although newer versions have some skinning support.

The problem is that GUI programs written in TCL/Tk aren't as speedy as... say C+FLTK programs.

Tcl/tk is great for quick hacks, but for large programs it is adviseable to look elsewhere.

Anyway, I find writing programs in Tcl/Tk very enjoyable (much more that in python, for example).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
tk is the GUI toolkit tcl language uses [1].
tkinter (tcl/tk for python) is a GUI included in python standard library. It's multiplatform, but not much people uses it nowdays (sorry Antartica, I thought you were younger ;-)

None of the previous iLiad python ports has included it before.
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24138
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12636
and yours - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30169

I like python a lot, it's my preferred language, but sadly enough it's somehow slow on the iLiad, that's the reason I learning lua now.
IMO, there is not much interest in tkinter.

Iņigo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tk_%28framework%29
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
tk is the GUI toolkit tcl language uses [1].
tkinter (tcl/tk for python) is a GUI included in python standard library. It's multiplatform, but not much people uses it nowdays (sorry Antartica, I thought you were younger ;-)
Younger still?

"How old are you?" thread

Hope that using Tcl/Tk doesn't make me age at an accelerated pace X-).

Anyway, for hacks and light GUIs, it is still a valid option (in fact VMWare for Linux used it for quite a lot of versions until they did change to a "proper" GUI library).

In my case, I became addicted to Tcl/Tk in my OS/2 days; was looking for a scriptable way for doing UIs that worked for both OS/2 and Linux and that was what I found. Although I reckon that that was a long time ago X-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Thanx for Antartica and Iņigo's explanation. I know Tcl/Tk better now.

OS/2? Quite a fantasy and legendary operation system. I used it once when it came out.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert