Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
oddity
oddity began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook/V3
iRex 1000 vs 1000S: Can I disable touch input?

As I hate touch input and styluses (even my PDA is a clamshell with keyboard), if I were to buy an iRex product I would stay away from iRex Digital Reader 1000S and prefer the model 1000 which is the same thing without touch, but it looks as if there isn't availability for the non-touch model, so here's my question:

Can I use 1000S as a 1000, ie use it without touch input and without the stylus? Can I disable touch input completely? I hate it when a touch device receives commands I didn't intend to give to it whenever I accidentally touch the screen!
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Yes. You can disable the touch-screen in the settings.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
But... if you don't use the stylus, you won't have full functionality. e.g. you won't be able to use the shortcuts toolbar.

Its quite easy to navigate around just using the keys and I leave them all unlocked by choice - but there's some functions its easier to do using the stylus.

Plus the stylus allows you to play Sudoku and crossword puzzles, draw, write, annotate...
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Many people seem to be confused about the "touchscreen" on the DR. The DR uses Wacom's active touchscreen, which means you can only activate it using a special Wacom stylus (shipped with the DR). It will not "accidentally" activate when you touch the screen with your fingers etc. In fact, apart from the minor savings in battery (if any), there is no need to turn off the stylus function; just leave the stylus in its cradle
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddity View Post
As I hate touch input and styluses (even my PDA is a clamshell with keyboard), if I were to buy an iRex product I would stay away from iRex Digital Reader 1000S and prefer the model 1000 which is the same thing without touch, but it looks as if there isn't availability for the non-touch model, so here's my question:

Can I use 1000S as a 1000, ie use it without touch input and without the stylus? Can I disable touch input completely? I hate it when a touch device receives commands I didn't intend to give to it whenever I accidentally touch the screen!
The DR1000 doesn't exist. It was mentioned in some pre-release announcements and there was briefly a pre-order for it on their site, but it was never manufactured. The only model you can get right now is the DR1000S.

As far as using it without the stylus, that's not a problem. It won't react to "accidental touches". The screen only works with the stylus, not your finger, etc. Just be aware that there is some functionality that will be impossible (or difficult) to use without the stylus. The user interface was really intended to have the stylus available (that's probably why they never made the DR1000).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert