Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #151
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But this doesn't help if you only had it on your computer, say for example you aren't one of those people who keeps their entire library on their device? When their computer breaks, th bok is gone!
If your computer breaks and you don't have a backup of your files, then it is your fault. Sony is not to blame. The same is true of any file and not just Sony books.

If your books did not transfer to Kobo, then you have until April 30th to download them from the Sony website. You haven't lost anything. You can still use them.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #152
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
I finally finished a series of books that I had purchased from Kobo prior to the transition and bought a new book via the browser on my PRS-T1. When I navigated to my library and clicked the "download" button, it went to some stupid page saying they were working on an app for my device.

For as long as I've had my device, I've been able to direct download from my library. Until this transition.

I love my PRS-T1. But it looks like I need to find a comparable Kindle since I doubt the elephant in the room will ever go away.

Last edited by frogi; 04-13-2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: stupid auto correct
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #153
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogi View Post
I finally finished a series of books that I had purchased from Kobe prior to the transition and bought a new book via the browser on my PRS-T1. When I navigated to my library and clicked the "download" button, it went to some stupid page saying they were working on an app for my device.

For as long as I've had my device, I've been able to direct download from my library. Until this transition.

I love my PRS-T1. But it looks like I need to find a comparable Kindle since I doubt the elephant in the room will ever go away.

They've said all along that you won't be able to directly access the Kobo store on a Sony (T1, T2, T3) until late May, but it is in the works.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #154
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that they take away something that was possible prior to the merge.

The only reason I used kobobooks was that they had titles not available on Sony AND could be directly downloaded. Now my T1 is crippled for the next month or two.

Finally, I apologize for not keeping up with the news about this merge.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #155
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Here is a list of devices, mobile applications and desktop applications that should be able to read your existing Sony DRM epubs.

Quote:
These eBooks can be acquired by the listed devices either via wireless connection provided by the device (if available) or via a USB connection from the device to a computer running Adobe Digital Editions, the desktop application for organizing and reading eBooks on Macs and Windows® enabled computers.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-13-2014 at 04:21 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #156
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy

Thank you, @DoctorOhh.

Also, @AnemicOak: I apologize if I came across snarky.

This transition is enervating because I no longer use a desktop PC, so sideloading is not available to me.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #157
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
I believe Sony has a responsibility to ensure that your content remains accessible once you purchase it. That guarantee is gone once they close down and fail to transfer all their titles over to a new content server!!
I understand the frustration; I expressed much of mine here last year. They are a for profit company. But they can't very well give perpetual cloud storage with a purchase without being compensated for it.

Back up your files. You already do this for other personal files of yours, right?
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #158
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy

Today, I am able to download via the T1's browser again. Not sure what changed.

But now that I've seen the price difference between Amazon and Kobo, I may still switch if any Kindle devices are on par with my T1
Old 04-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #159
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
I understand the frustration; I expressed much of mine here last year. They are a for profit company. But they can't very well give perpetual cloud storage with a purchase without being compensated for it.

Back up your files. You already do this for other personal files of yours, right?
I already conceded the point (perhaps not very clearly ) upon learning the DRMed file is not instance-specific. As I DeDRM and anyways mostly use ADE for library loans that don't have the Kindle option, I never really bothered to learn/remember this.

What I really believe has no justification is cutting people off now or in the future in such a way that there is nothing they could've done (except of course breaking the DRM, which is not a justification for creating such a situation.)

Happily, Adobe is smarter than I gave them credit for.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #160
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
It is disheartening because it should be completely unnecessary to lose any books.
I follow you that it sucks to be prisoner to DRM and content rights agreements. I had something like 15 or 20% of my books not transfer over.

But I still think Sony has done as good a job as I could expect them to based on their commercial realities. My minimum expectation is that a vendor would give me enough time to download any purchases and Sony not only did that, they also did an automated transfer for me to a new book store.

And on top of that I was able to keep my existing Kobo account and merge libraries (though my Sony books don't show up in my Kobo apps for some reason).

They couldn't possibly spend money to keep the store running just so an ever diminishing user base could download their existing purchases once in a while. And it would be cost prohibitive in administrative and licensing costs to make sure every single book they ever offered was made available for sale on a competitor's store (don't forget that Sony and Kobo are still competitors in some markets).

I think they already went above and beyond in their handling of this situation.

Unfortunately I guess some of their customer service staff let them down. And maybe their PR and communications people should have properly set expectations for how many books would transfer.

As an aside, one of the reasons I like epub as a format is that not only can I de-DRM easily, but also I can deconstruct/store/edit to my heart's content using only easily available tools without having to rely on any manufacturer or publisher. So big props to Sony from me for going epub.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #161
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I DeDRM and anyways mostly use ADE for library loans that don't have the Kindle option, I never really bothered to learn/remember this.
You and I both. It has been so long since I actually messed with DRM outside of book loans that I too wasn't sure if I remembered correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
As an aside, one of the reasons I like epub as a format is that not only can I de-DRM easily, but also I can deconstruct/store/edit to my heart's content using only easily available tools without having to rely on any manufacturer or publisher. So big props to Sony from me for going epub.
This is also the reason I ever buy a book from Amazon. It is easy to de-DRM and now with their new format (azw3?) I can use the same tools I use for epub to clean up the content if necessary. If I could not remove DRM from Amazon books I would never buy from them.

Since I mostly read books in novel format I stay away from PDF as best I can. Even PDFs though are easy to liberate.

Back on topic, I went away from an my Sony e-ink devices and bought a Nexus 7. I use Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro to organize and read the books. To my surprise even though reading from a backlit screen truely strains my eyes I have never experienced a problem with reading from my Nexus 7 because Moon+Reader has the ability to drop the brightness level down below what was possible with the first Nexus 7. Now the new Nexus 7 does well with the brightness levels in the main OS.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-13-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #162
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
And on top of that I was able to keep my existing Kobo account and merge libraries (though my Sony books don't show up in my Kobo apps for some reason).
Looks like I had to give them some time... My Sony books show up in the regular library view on my Kobo apps now.

Now if only Kobo would write a faster performing Android app...

Oh an also on subject, I haven't given up on Sony. My PRS-505 is still soldiering on, though battery life gets closer and closer to reading session length so it might not be long before I have to let it go. And I'm digging a Sony T3s
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #163
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Actually I haven't given up at all. In fact I've just received my latest reader this week: a pink PRS-350
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #164
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Oh an also on subject, I haven't given up on Sony. My PRS-505 is still soldiering on, though battery life gets closer and closer to reading session length so it might not be long before I have to let it go.
I replaced the battery and gifted my 505 to my son over a year ago.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #165
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
I'd switch to a T3 should my 650 die. If I could swap my 650's display with the T3's display, I'd be a very happy man. Materials, build quality, and ruggedness of the 650 with the sharper display of the T3.
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote