Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
History
Enthusiast
History began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
larger eink reader

I am using a 6" (Kobo Wifi) reader. Love the eink, but the screen is too small for my preference of bigger fonts.
Doing a bit of research on larger eink reader. The only one of well known branch that I found is the Kindle DX (way overpriced imo).

A few questions
(1) is there a market for larger eink screen? (Sony discontinued 7" reader because ?)
(2) do you think there will be a new larger one coming out soon
(3) anyone with experience with a larger one (that is not DX)

thanks for your input
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I am using a 6" (Kobo Wifi) reader. Love the eink, but the screen is too small for my preference of bigger fonts.
Doing a bit of research on larger eink reader. The only one of well known branch that I found is the Kindle DX (way overpriced imo).

A few questions
(1) is there a market for larger eink screen? (Sony discontinued 7" reader because ?)
(2) do you think there will be a new larger one coming out soon
(3) anyone with experience with a larger one (that is not DX)

thanks for your input
PB 912 u.a. , Onyx M92, Ectaco Jetbook Color - the experience is not as pleasurable as one might wish.
There are some threads on mobileread.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I bought the DXG for $259.- a few months back, that looked like a reasonable deal. However, since the DXG has neither pen input nor WiFi I sure wouldn't have paid the $389.- regular price for it.

The others are mentioned are from small companies and seem to be "semi finished" products (always waiting for firmware upgrades or with a number of hardware drawbacks). I would recommend waiting.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I'd suggest trying to get a Kindle DX used then, if saving money is the most important thing. I see a few on ebay.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The others are mentioned are from small companies and seem to be "semi finished" products (always waiting for firmware upgrades or with a number of hardware drawbacks). I would recommend waiting.
This pretty much sums up what is worth been saying ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
History, what kind of books do you want to read on a bigger reader? Novels like you do on your Kobo (as I assume) or scientific books in pdf format?

If it is novels then all those readers mentioned (Kindle DX, Onyx M92, Pocketbook 912/902) do a good job and you will benefit from the larger screen and the bigger font sizes a lot. The ability of the readers doesn't differ too much in this regard, you can set your own priorities like price or look and feel or the shop system behind, file format...
The backside is that these bigger readers are heavier, too, and not such portable as the 6" devices are.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
It all depends on what you're using the device for.

If it's just reading then you can go with any device.

If you want to edit documents and write on the text then i would suggest the jetBook Color - plus it has a color e ink screen which is pretty killer.

They're supposed to come out with an update for this month that a lot of us are waiting for - my thoughts it will have the WiFi feature activated for sure and prob some other cool stuff.

You can check out the original thread about it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=jetbook+color
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
History
Enthusiast

Thanks for your input so far.
I use my reader to read epub, txt .. (not pdf), I am confortable with removing DRM and converting files. A few features those might be useful to me, and I would use them very rarely anyway:
(1) wiki reading through wifi
(2) text to speech, mp3 player
(3) built-in dictionary
I have no use for 3G (even with free one). I am neutral to touch screen (pro easier web brousing, cons accidental touching unwanted children play) and would choose a non-touch one if available since it is cheaper.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
On Kindle DX
(1) no Wifi, but you can easily to do the same through free 3G
(2) yes
(3) yes
I've bought it for 279$ from Amazon and will never buy for a full price 379$.

But I definitely read more from my Sony 950 though - easier to carry around, great for outdoor readings. I wish an 8" reader, and think Sony 950 should be 1" wider... iRex iLiad was of the optimal size (8"), but it was discontinued long time ago and now 8" format is not produced any more. It's a pity.

9.7" device is too heavy and too big, not portable at all. But great for reading at home.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Pocketbook 902 is cheaper than Pocketbook 912 as it has no touch screen, but I don't know if it is still available. It has text-to-speach, mp3-player and some built-in dictionaries.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
History
Enthusiast

I do not like the idea of getting a "luxury" things second hand, and other smaller branch is not much cheaper then DX, so maybe I will wait until either for a sale or a new product coming out.

I am not that familar with US retailing; is there any easy way to look out for a sale. Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The DXG remains my favorite for serious reading. The dimension is similar to a HB book and the proportionate default font is outstanding, IMHO. I also have a Touch and Fire. I very much disagree with the previous poster that the DXG is "too large" or "too heavy." The DXG is very thin and not heavy at all -- I travel with it routinely. In fact, I like it so much I bought a backup during Amazon's sale, with some points applied, for $130. My only disappointment is the lack of support (updates).
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote