Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
splinters
Enthusiast
splinters began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Landscape format on ibooks and iPad

I have successfully published 20 books on iBooks many of which have charted in the teen/children category. I recently uploaded 3 books that are in a sort of landscape format very much like the 4:3 proportions of the iPad.
They look OK in ibooks using the portrait mode and show one page at a time. However, when viewed in landscape mode they shift to the double page spread as expected. Problem is the pictures are stacked one on top of the other rather than a double page spread.
To clarify, I have no seperate text in the book; each page is a full image with the text embedded in there (I make kids picture books). I am making sure that the width of the images is the maximum to fill a 'portrait' style page but I guess they are not tall enough for ibooks to treat them as separate pages so in a double 'landscape' spread you actually see four pages; 1and 2 stacked on the left side, 3 and 4 on the right page etc.

Wish I could show a screen grab but don't have my iPad on me.

Short question; is there any way of telling the iPad to show each single page in either portrait or landscape mode and, if not, what can I do to at least stop the stacking problem?

Last edited by splinters; 10-14-2010 at 07:07 AM.
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
The magic image size for the iPad is 600x860 pixels. Images of this size should entirely fill up a single page, regardless of whether the iPad is in portait or landscape mode.

For more details you can read Liz Castro's blog post on the subject.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
splinters
Enthusiast

Thanks for that, it was a tedious fix but I put each image into a white background at the size you mentioned. Books now work fine and are in the bookstore.
Many thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
bsandor
bsandor began at the beginning.

I am also looking to publish image-only landscape books. I would love to see how yours turned out. Can you give me a link to one in the bookstore? Thanks.
bsandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
splinters
Enthusiast

If you search for Paul Woodward and download buddy world books part 1 or 2, you get a sample of nearly all my books. I had to do this as Apple are in no rush to fix my preview problem.
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
eoin.noble
eoin.noble began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post
Thanks for that, it was a tedious fix but I put each image into a white background at the size you mentioned. Books now work fine and are in the bookstore.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the iBooks background slightly off-white? Might be best to put your images on a transparent background and save as a PNG.
eoin.noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Glad I could help!

eoin.noble: Actually, if you save a PNG with white background, iBooks will treat the white areas as transparent and will show the page color. I haven't tried JPG, but I suspect it would do the same. So, no need for transparent images!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote