Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
cabridges
cabridges began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Newbie question about downloading metadata

Did a quick search and didn't see this answered, so hopefully I'm not rehashing a regular question.

I just installed calibre and started adding some books. My book titles were exact, but the metadata download renamed one book as a different one altogether and picked the audiobook info for another instead of the print version. Since that's in the first 10 books I tried I'm very hesitant to throw my thousands at it, mostly because I won't know if any other books get completely changed until I hunt for them and can't find them. The other 8 downloaded the correct data.

What I want to know is, is there an undo command? If I ask for a metadata download and it picks an entirely different book, can I undo that or do I have to manually change every field back to the correct ones?

And if you get the wrong metadata for a book, is there any way to reject it and request the next best guess?

Thanks,
cabridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I always cancel out of the requestor, and just try again.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
As far as I know, this is a database generated and maintained as a public group project -- kind of like some music databases. There are always going to be differences based on an individual's preference. I always check to see if the parts that I'm interested in are correct by scrolling. I'm less interested in the ISBN, for example, but may want a decent cover image or description. For that reason I don't apply that option in bulk automatically.

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
As you've now learned, doing bulk metadata imports often turns out poorly. If you want to try again, make certain that the title and author are correct and then delete the ISBN. Click the Fetch Metadata button and Calibre will redownload the metadata. Pick the one that matches the book and Calibre will repopulate the other fields for you.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabridges View Post
What I want to know is, is there an undo command? If I ask for a metadata download and it picks an entirely different book, can I undo that or do I have to manually change every field back to the correct ones?
If you just download the metadata from the context menu (e.g. right clicking on a book or multiple books), Calibre will use the first hit it gets. If you open the dialog for editing metadata and download from there, you get a list of all found entries and can select the correct one. This may not help with thousands of books, but as far as I know, this is the only method that allows you to select which set of metadata you want to use.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
cabridges
cabridges began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
That helps a lot; I was downloading metadata with a rightclick from the list screen rather than opening the books one by one.

Considering the number I'm dealing with, I suspect I'll be using this to manage the books as I'm ready to put them my device -- when I can take the time to make sure they're correct -- but leaving the bulk out of it.

Although as I know from my music management, at some point I'll snap and start entering them all anyway.
cabridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I wonder if it would be simple to change the behavior...to have it take only an exact match with title/author?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I've done some bulk meta data import and I'm less than impressed. Wrong information, inconsistent data entry, poor spelling, some strange tags, etc (from google). I realized that the problem was the site and not calibre, but it was still disappointing.

Knowing that individual comparison and importation of data allows for better results is a big help. Of course, I'm not sure I've got enough time to look them all up!
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote