Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Manny
Manny began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
First time hello

Hi everybody. I just joined up. I am from Canada and I just bought a Kindle. We are having a problem up here with amazon's support for the Kindle. First of all we cannot use Wispernet. That to me is not much of a problem. What I would like to do is download the books to my computer and then transfer them to the kindle via the USB. Amazon though wants a credit card with an American address. Anyone have any solutions?
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Hi everybody. I just joined up. I am from Canada and I just bought a Kindle. We are having a problem up here with amazon's support for the Kindle. First of all we cannot use Wispernet. That to me is not much of a problem. What I would like to do is download the books to my computer and then transfer them to the kindle via the USB. Amazon though wants a credit card with an American address. Anyone have any solutions?

Welcome, Manny.

The Kindle wasn't designed to be used in Canada, thats why you are having a problem. Whispernet won't work, and copyright laws are different.

Amazon states you must have a U.S. based credit card and billing address linked to your address in order to download books.

If you haven't had it more than a month, you can get a refund. There are other e-book readers out there that will work for you.

Sorry, thats the best advice I can think of. Perhaps someone else on this board can do better.

On the other side, there are many free books you can download to your computer and read from here. Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I've heard that you can create a second Amazon account and don't register your credit card to it. Register your Kindle to it. then, with your first account purchase a gift card. Apply the gift card to your second account and you should be able to buy Kindle books with it. I have heard several people have been successful with this method.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This should be interesting. If this works for you, Manny, let us know.

Personally I think that if it were this easy, there wouldn't be such an international uproar over the lack of availability world wide.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Manny and welcome to the Forum. Sounds like good advice from PilotBob. be sure and let us know how it works.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
This should be interesting. If this works for you, Manny, let us know.

Personally I think that if it were this easy, there wouldn't be such an international uproar over the lack of availability world wide.
Well, it's not "that" easy. It may be simple, but not easy. They till won't ship outside the US. So, you have to figure out how to get one... either on eBay or get a US person to buy it.

But, I have several reports from people that this does work. Not sure why you are in such denial over it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Manny
Manny began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks everyone. Bob I already have one. I don't know if it would be a wast of time trying to figure out if I could use it or just sell it and buy the Sony reader.

Last edited by Manny; 01-17-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, it's not "that" easy. It may be simple, but not easy. They till won't ship outside the US. So, you have to figure out how to get one... either on eBay or get a US person to buy it.

But, I have several reports from people that this does work. Not sure why you are in such denial over it.

BOb
umm......because I believed Amazon had greater control? Apparently there isn't any "iron curtain" when it comes to the internet.
I concede defeat.