Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #931
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
UGH>>>!!>!><ADTGDFG

Mo. means nothing. Mb means megabyte.
Same with Ko. Kb means kilobyte!!!!

Sorry, my inner nerd is like the Hulk.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #932
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
UGH>>>!!>!><ADTGDFG

I was just reporting what is written on the "informations techniques" on my Aura. It does mean something in French: méga octets. I tend to forget to translate such acronyms when writing in an English speaking thread. I tend to mix American and British usage too (I read the British do it more and more too). But then this is an international forum. Are there statistics somewhere on users nationalities?

PS: What does ADTGDFG mean? You must be american - I've noticed many new everyday acronyms recently, and some have been difficult to puzzle out.

Last edited by anacreon; 07-29-2013 at 07:27 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #933
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
UGH>>>!!>!><ADTGDFG

Well, "Mb" and "Kb" usually mean Megabit and Kilobit. "MB" and "KB" are MegaByte and Kilobyte.

@anacreon: And now that I know "Mo" means Mega Octet, that makes sense. A "byte" is almost always an octet now, but "in the old days", it was dependent on the architecture of the computer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #934
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@anacreon: And now that I know "Mo" means Mega Octet, that makes sense. A "byte" is almost always an octet now, but "in the old days", it was dependent on the architecture of the computer.
PDP 10 where (quoting from Wiki)
Quote:
Some aspects of the instruction set are unique, most notably the "byte" instructions, which operated on bit fields of any size from 1 to 36 bits inclusive according to the general definition of a byte as a contiguous sequence of a fixed number of bits.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #935
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Right the free version has three major tabs "Database Structure" "Browse Data" and "Execute SQL". I ran "vacuum" as a query and it reported "No Error", but I don't think it did much. There was nothing in the "Data returned:" area.
Believe me, you do not want to see anything in the data returned as that would indicate a major problem with the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
So in the windows version of SQLite the "File" tab selection "Compact Database" means what? Is it not what you guys are talking about or do you only get that in the "Expert" version?
The two Windows programs are separate items. Compact Database in the SQLite Database Browser runs a 'vacuum' command against the database which reclaims empty space left by deleted items, makes most items contiguous, etc. The SQLite Expert program simply calls it's equivalent GUI option vacuum and, as you might guess, it runs a 'vacuum' command on the database.

One caution is that you should always copy the database to your PC and compact it there. Running vacuum makes a copy of the database during the compact phase and then replaces the original database with that copy. Not a good time to run out of disk space.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #936
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A "byte" is almost always an octet now, but "in the old days", it was dependent on the architecture of the computer.
Byte was a magazine. A must have along with Dr. Dobb's Journal
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #937
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
All except the articles by some guy named Pournelle, who had the nerve to bash my Epson QX-10 and its Valdocs program.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #938
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
And let us not forget Kilobaud which Wayne Green founded after Byte was wrestled away from his control.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote