Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I didn't have any problems with 6.0, but the 6.0.1 update has hosed my battery life. I charge to 100% while reading on my iPad at night, then put the iPhone on airplane mode and in the morning it is down to 75%. Even leaving it charging all night, I can't get thru the day without a mid-day charge.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Agreed, battery life is much worse than it was. I'm lucky I guess, I have the iPhone because I want it, not because I actually need it for anything, so I find that during the day, if all I am doing is sending the odd text and reading a bit, I simply switch off 3G, and let the 2G network do its thing. It does make a huge difference. If at home, wifi takes care of what I need it to, and when out and about I switch wifi off too, so the phone isnt constantly looking for wifi signals its not going to be able to use... and again the 2G network does its thing. Its a PITA to have to do it, but far less of a PITA than battery dying before getting home again.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I simply switch off 3G, and let the 2G network do its thing. It does make a huge difference. If at home, wifi takes care of what I need it to, and when out and about I switch wifi off too, so the phone isnt constantly looking for wifi signals its not going to be able to use... and again the 2G network does its thing.
I don't even have cellular turned on since I have my iphone on a prepaid plan. Closing all background apps helps with battery but it isn't practical to close them all every moment. It does help with the overnight loss, though. Hopefully they fix it in the next update.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I don't even have cellular turned on since I have my iphone on a prepaid plan. Closing all background apps helps with battery but it isn't practical to close them all every moment. It does help with the overnight loss, though. Hopefully they fix it in the next update.
Hmmm. I don't have much overnight loss at all. Went to bed on 93% and woke up with it on 89%. There's some other issue with yours. I'd suggest heading for the nearest genius and getting them to have a look at it. (as an aside, I am also on prepaid, but my prepaid allows me to use the real credit to buy a data allowance as well, which I really only use for iMessage and Whatsapp)
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I had the same problem after upgrading to 6.0.1: battery life between 3(!!) and 5 hours a day. I went to the Genius Bar and apparently this is known firmware bug.

Their solution was to have me restore the device without using a backup. Basically wipe the phone and reinstall the OS, then set it up as a new device. That was a pain in the ass, believe me. Even with contacts and other settings synced to iCloud, I had to restore all my apps and then reorganize them, log back in to everything, restore my preferences, etc.

Battery life is now better, between 6 and 7 hours, but not nearly as good as it was when I first bought the phone (8-9 hours). Here's hoping for a permanent fix in 6.1.

Harry, if you rely heavily on Maps do not upgrade. Google is supposedly "putting the finishing touches" on their new mapping application, but until then the data is just plain unreliable and lack of transit directions is horrid.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll stick with iOS 6.0 until the battery bug is fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I haven't had any noticeable issues with my iPhone 4 and 6.0.1 but my reasons may not give you any confidence. I rarely use it as a drive-to GPS (got a dedicated GPS in the car). I do use it for lots of Yelp-like store address look-ups or what's-close-by though and that use still works fine in So Cal. I haven't noticed any battery life loss either but my phone lives in a Mophie battery case so that's not a fair test either.

I do wish they would roll out Siri and turn-by-turn to the iPhone 4. But it is also true that those are my only incentives to upgrade, still being reasonably satisfied by the camera in my 4 (my critical use is document 'scan' with JotNot Pro).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #23
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Hmmm. I don't have much overnight loss at all. Went to bed on 93% and woke up with it on 89%. There's some other issue with yours. I'd suggest heading for the nearest genius and getting them to have a look at it. (as an aside, I am also on prepaid, but my prepaid allows me to use the real credit to buy a data allowance as well, which I really only use for iMessage and Whatsapp)
If I close all my background app, I have almost no battery loss, so it is the combo of 6.0.1 and some of the apps I use, I guess. For now I am keeping a spare charger by the bed so I can leave it plugged all night, and then I usually find time to juice up for a bit mid-day.

yeah, I can use data with my prepaid plan, but it is expensive so I keep cellular turned off unless I absolutely need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I had the same problem after upgrading to 6.0.1: battery life between 3(!!) and 5 hours a day. I went to the Genius Bar and apparently this is known firmware bug.

Their solution was to have me restore the device without using a backup. <snip>

Battery life is now better, between 6 and 7 hours, but not nearly as good as it was when I first bought the phone (8-9 hours). Here's hoping for a permanent fix in 6.1.
Well, it's encouraging to hear that an Apple rep is acknowledging it as a known bug. I'd rather wait for a software fix than do a restore as new device... ugh.

BTW, my iPhone was bought used on eBay. Do you think a "genius" would even help me? My one and only experience with Apple's Genius Bar was a nightmare.

Is everyone ready for iTunes 11???? I just read it's expected tomorrow.

Last edited by MeSue; 11-28-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can get help with any tech problems on any device, regardless of where you bought it. I have never been asked to provide receipts or serial numbers for any of my phones or computers.

The only time ownership, date of purchase, etc. come into play is when you request a replacement or repair of something under warranty.

As for iTunes 11... I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure the management shakeup did no favours to its development, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed back to December.

EDIT: You were right, it's out now.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
As for iTunes 11... I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure the management shakeup did no favours to its development, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed back to December.

EDIT: You were right, it's out now.
Just installed it. Seems to be OK (different UI, but nothing too radical), and it works fine with my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Don't forget in iOS 6 the YouTube app has advertisements.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never use YouTube, so don't really care about that .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
Don't forget in iOS 6 the YouTube app has advertisements.
No ads in mine.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #29
holymadness
Guru

Just FYI, I'm now back to getting about 8 hours of battery life on my iPhone 5 since 6.0.2. Between that and Google Maps, it's probably safe to upgrade now.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is Siri a standard part of iOS6? I don't have it on my iPhone 4 (I think it came in with the 4S). From what I've read, it's not as useful in the UK as it is in the US, because it doesn't have here any of the geographical location facilities it does in the US.
I use Siri several times a day here in Japan. She's running at about 95% accuracy. The other day I asked for directions to 'Chinatown' in Kobe, and she gave me directions to the Chinese Consulate a few block away instead. But when I asked for the 'Motomachi Train Station,' the stop for Chinatown, I got a map with very clear walking directions, time and distance to the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Google has tuned maps.google.com to work very well on the iPhone with Safari. With that, no need to hold off on iOS 6.
I installed the new GoogleMap app into my brand new iPhone 5. Just bought last week. GoogleMap showed my position about 5 blocks away from where I actually was, although it did give the correct name for the area in English. The standard map app that came with the phone pinpointed me right to my building.

Quote:
Just FYI, I'm now back to getting about 8 hours of battery life on my iPhone 5 since 6.0.2. Between that and Google Maps, it's probably safe to upgrade now.
I'm finding the battery life MUCH better than I ever got with my iPhone 3G. Overnight... perhaps a one or two percent drop. During the day, I use it to listen to music for an hour or two, check mail, use the map, search Google, ask Siri questions, read the newspapers, and of course, make a few calls. By night time, I'm only down about 50%. But...
Every afternoon I turn off the background apps by double clicking the main button, then taping the wiggling circles. This takes 20 seconds and saves a massive amount of power! I've also shut off most of the 'notifications' for different apps except mail, messages, and clock. I don't need to be notified every time someone posts to Facebook... There are dozens of different battery-saving tips on YouTube, but you have to watch a few different ones to find all that are applicable to YOUR usage.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote