Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Question Sony $100 offer

Via E-mail, Sony has informed me that they are again offering a $100 credit for upgrading to a 505 from a 500.

I'm asking for opinions, both pro and con about this offer. I currently have a fine working 500 that has no hacks installed.

Do you think it would be smart to upgrade to a 505? Are the features of the 505 worth it to upgrade from a 500?

Your opinions are appreciated.

Ralph
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
IMnotsohumbleO, if it is working and you have no problems downloading content, then keep what you have + the additional $150 it would cost on top of the coupon.

Of course, keep in mind that I'm thrifty (cheap). It nearly killed me to shell out the cash for a new stove last week when the old 35 year old antique Amana Radar Range died. Same way with cars, will drive them until the wheels fall off.

So maybe you might want a few more opinions than this one.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
That seems like a pretty good deal price-wise (as long as you get a blue one). And, with the 505, you can read PDF (ADE) and ePub formatted books. This gives you access to public libraries and their free eBooks.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
If it works well, I personally would keep the 500. You can view more formats with the 505, but if you use Calibre you can just convert the epubs to lrf for your reader. I would wait for the next really big technology breakthrough (like e-ink) before upgrading.

But then again I am a frugal person and waited 15 years for my TV to die before I bought a new one.

You could also look at your library's available ebooks and see how much downloading some ebooks from your library would save you a month and decide if it would be cost effective. (Sorry I'm a bookkeeper)

Last edited by toomanybooks; 04-10-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: mispelling
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
lorimac
lorimac began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
I just checked out the prices on Ebay for the 500 and they are selling for over $150 - so maybe you could sell your old one and use your coupon if you want to upgrade.
lorimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There seems to be a good chance that Sony will release a new ebook Reader ahead of its typical October schedule. See Verizon or AT&T for ebook Readers?. I don't think they would "already be signed up" if this was not happening until October, but I'm not aware of any other leaks of the schedule or the specs. There are always new devices coming, but a PRS-700 minus the touch screen and light but with wireless would be a nice replacement for the PRS-505.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Sadly, to receive the $100 refund, you have to send they your old 500. No free lunch. They get your old 500 and you get a 505 at a $100 discount.

The first time they sent me this offer was two weeks before they released the 700.

Oh well, I need to think some more.

Thanks.

Ralph
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I think a real deciding factor would be if you were interested in reading library books (PDF or ePub) files on your reader. Since these are DRM'ed you can't convert them for use on the 500 without removing the DRM.

I get a lot of value out of being able to read library books on my 505--even have paid $100 for a non-resident NYPL card because of their big selection.

Also, from all accounts the screen is better on the 505, so this is a factor to consider as well.
Also, how is the battery holding up in your 500? By getting a new 505, you'd get a new battery. Definitely not a reason to upgrade in and of itself, but it could be a factor.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Before I got my 505, I tried bidding on several used 500s and 505s on eBay, but they were going for almost $200, some even more, both 500s and 505s (the bidders didn't seem to be aware of the difference).

So $100 is very much below market value.

If you want to upgrade (and I love my 505, am so glad I got it instead of the 500), you'd be better off selling your old one, especially if you have all the accessories.

Kate
khalleron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would upgrade. 505 has a much better screen.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
itzmeigh
Enthusiast
itzmeigh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I agree. If you are going to do it check out eBay first. When I got my 505 a month ago the 500s even used were going for $200 the 505s used were going for $250 easy and new they were going for just shy of $300 by the time you added shipping.
itzmeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I sold my 500 for $150 on Craigslist and it literally took a day - I'm pretty sure I could have gotten $175 for it if I'd been more patient. So the coupon is a waste, especially since you'd be paying full retail for the 505.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
tgr131
tgr131 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
If you take advantage of the offer, you get to keep the charger. The new readers do not come with a charger -- they expect you to charge via USB, or buy the AC Adaptor for additional $$.

There is also a nice "front light" wedge/case accessory that works with the 505, but not the 500. I use mine daily. Just a thought.
tgr131 is offline   Reply With Quote