Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
glexey
glexey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
User dictionaries not recognized

Hello,

My Onyx M92 (bought ~1 month ago) doesn't recognize new dictionaries.
- Read everything on this forum regarding dictionary install and problems, to no help.
- Tried placing 'dicts' folder on internal memory, and on SD card - no result.
- Tried following dictionaries:
* stardict-oxford-big5-2.4.2
* stardict-dictd_www.freedict.de_deu-eng
* stardict-dictd_www.dict.org_gcide
* several lingvo ones in stardict format
- Originally onyx came with 1.7 firmware. Updated to latest 1.8 today - instead of 1 system dictionary there are 2 now, but still no user dictionaries..
- Looked inside 'updateXXX' file under /usr/share/dicts - I see those 2 "system" dictionaries, folder structure is similar to what I put on SD card under /dicts.

Will appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Alexei
glexey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
I use many dictionaries. I took mine from the "StarDict Dictionaries -- 星际译王词库 词典下载" web page.

After unpacking, each dictionary (three files) resides in a a separate subdirectory. All these subdirectories are put into the "dicts" directory on the SD card.

There is one big warning, however.
On a PC, utilities which work with dictionaries (e.g. stardict) will automatically show all relevant entries from all available dictionaries (when you "search" for a word).
This is NOT the case on M92. The utility here, that's responsible for dictionary search, is only able to work with a single dictionary at a time. You need to switch dictionaries manually yourself -> there is a special "icon" in form of a small book, just above the keyboard (when you click that icon you should see the full list of available dictionaries).

One small note: somebody was claiming somewhere that the current firmware needs dictionaries in "stardict-2" format (e.g. "stardict-*-2.4.2"), not in the "stardict-3" format.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 12-25-2012 at 07:29 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
glexey

>> took mine from the "StarDict Dictionaries -- 星际译王词库 词典下载" web page.
Yep, that's where i took mine too. Just tried again:
1. Removed existing 'dicts' folder on SD card. Boot Onyx, go to 'Dictionary' -> press the icon with book+arrows. It shows 2 dictionaries: 'English explanatory' and 'English-German'. Quit 'Dictionay'. Remove SD card. Put SD card into computer.
2. Downloaded stardict-longman-2.4.2.tar.bz2 from the above site. Create 'dicts' folder on SD card, unpack the archive there. The contents of SD card become:
dicts/stardict-longman-2.4.2/longman.ifo
dicts/stardict-longman-2.4.2/longman.idx
dicts/stardict-longman-2.4.2/longman.dict.dz
3. Put the SD card into onyx. It opens file explorer @ 'SD Card' automatically. Shows new 'dicts' folder fine. Close file explorer ('back' button).
4. Click on 'Dictionary', then book+arrows icon: same 2 dictionaries shown, as in step 1). No 'longman'.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
I've got an idea ...
If there's anybody who has a ready-to-use development system for M92 which includes QT 4.7.3 ... maybe (s)he could try to compile the current stardict-3 utility?
Or maybe another replacement (e.g. GoldenDict)?
Well, if one gets it working, it could nicely replace the standard dictionary tool.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
glexey

figured it out!

Ok, I've figured it out finally.
1. Used 7-Zip instead of WinZip for unpacking the archive - everything works fine.
2. Binary comparison on *.ifo files reveals WinZip converted CR to CR+LF.
3. Google "winzip convert cr lf" reads:
*** Select the "Miscellaneous" tab from the Configuration Window to control these options: ..... -> "Other" -> "TAR file smart CR/LF conversion" - When selected, this option determines if "smart" CR/LF conversion should be performed when extracting from TAR files, blah, blah, blah...

Now wondering how come nobody else stumbled upon this problem. I know using WinZip is not fashionable these days, but that's what comes by default on my windows machine..

Maybe that's too much to ask, but dictionary app could be little bit more intelligent too, and if not understand CR+LF then at least give some diagnostic message.

Thanks everybody,
-Alexei
Old 12-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Been using WinRAR here for the last 15 years
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote