Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
dot
dot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
stripping acsm

My library's books come in acsm which is not compatible with Kindle. I got a DMR stripper. It works on some books but not on others. Is there one that always works?
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
The acsm file is not actually the book file, but rather the authorization to access a file.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
My library's books come in acsm which is not compatible with Kindle. I got a DMR stripper. It works on some books but not on others. Is there one that always works?
As TGS stated acsm is not the actual book. If you have not done so already, download the Adobe Digital Editions for your PC and install it. Then when you download the acsm file (book) it will give you the option to open in Digital Editions. Then your book will download in epub format. The file should be stored on your computer in c:\my documents\my digital editions.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Books in ePUB are also not compatible with Kindle. You can read the book on your computer of course, but stripping DRM from library books (which would make it possible to keep the books that you had supposedly only borrowed) is, in my opinion, very different from removing DRM from purchased books for backup, format shifting, etc. I'm not going there. You always have the alternative of buying a reader that does support ePUB format. YMMV regarding the ethical issues.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
dot
dot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. I think I understand better now.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote